The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTruthTeller

He has done the same thing with Mexico 'paying' for the wall. People assummed mexico would directly pay for it whereas Trump simply announced more custom duties for mexican imports etc which isn't really directly paying for the wall but funding it.

He has mentioned before that the proposed custom duties and suchlike aren't so much to pay for the wall as to pressure Mexico into paying. If they were huge easy money spinners, someone else would have thought of it long ago.

But the point of "make Mexico pay for the wall" was never the cost anyway. The main cost of such a wall wouldn't so much be its construction as the costs of maintaining and guarding it, all of which would be with the US regardless of whether Mexico paid for the construction. The point was to get Mexico to submit to being humiliated by the US.
BREAKING: A nationwide stay has been granted. This means that enforcement of the Executive Order has been suspended until the issue can be litigated.

Great news, great work by the ACLU.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/muslim-ban-federal-court
"Nationwide injunction - no one can be removed - govt must provide list of names of ppl affected"

- Dale Ho (UCLA)

The federal court for the Eastern District of New York has issued an emergency stay halting President Trump's executive order banning immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S, The Verge reported Saturday night.

The court ruled on a habeas corpus petition filed by the ACLU on behalf of two Iraqi men who were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday after Trump's ban.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/316714-federal-judge-blocks-trump-immigration-ban-nationwide
(edited 7 years ago)
How is it legal for them to ban permanent residents from entering the country?

Genuine question. I thought PRs have rights.
It's effective because it's not even been enacted and people are already losing their **** about it. Even people who aren't from the banned countries.

Trump's a Gemini and their symbol is a Snake, so like a snake he's not going to attack his enemy straightforward; he will typically use more cunning, roundabout methods and hide in the grass waiting for the venom to set in, ie: Banning less threatening Muslim countries still sends a harsh and hurtful message to all other Muslims. While I'm not bothered even a wee fraction about devout Muslims and their feelings, Trump's main purpose is to do what it takes to appease his voters and impress his new political peers. I don't respect that.

But at the end of the day it's geared towards controlling migration. And it potentially does that, which I do respect. For US their biggest threat is Muslim terrorism and OBAMA would COMPROMISE his beliefs JUST to get you off his back. He'd sign anything if you yelled at him:

1. He was the hope for black American but signed the Dream Act thing and only appointed a hispanic judge. Da ****?
2. He campaigned as a Conservative Christian but then legalised gay marriage. Da ****?
3. He's an American president but signed a deal giving Israel USD 35 billion when their country apparently has USD trillion debt? Da ****?
4. He let Hillary Clinton bully him into starting wars in Africa and then doing finger pointing at everyone else after the fact. Da ****?

Being a weak diplomat is as dangerous as being a hateful warlord. Because they both go off baseless emotions. But hateful warlord or not at least Trump is willing to address the Muslim problem legislatively. The power of the pen, people.

In another world if the threat was Jewish terrorism or alien invasion I'd say the same thing; it's **** all to do with Muslims. It's the principle that their biggest threat is Muslim terrorism and it makes sense to regulate them even if it makes you angry or cry. But he's still allowing 50k migrants in. So everyone sit back down and calm yourselves.
Original post by 0to100
It's effective because it's not even been enacted and people are already losing their **** about it. Even people who aren't from the banned countries.

Trump's a Gemini and their symbol is a Snake, so like a snake he's not going to attack his enemy straightforward; he will typically use more cunning, roundabout methods and hide in the grass waiting for the venom to set in, ie: Banning less threatening Muslim countries still sends a harsh and hurtful message to all other Muslims. While I'm not bothered even a wee fraction about devout Muslims and their feelings, Trump's main purpose is to do what it takes to appease his voters and impress his new political peers. I don't respect that.

But at the end of the day it's geared towards controlling migration. And it potentially does that, which I do respect. For US their biggest threat is Muslim terrorism and OBAMA would COMPROMISE his beliefs JUST to get you off his back. He'd sign anything if you yelled at him:

1. He was the hope for black American but signed the Dream Act thing and only appointed a hispanic judge. Da ****?
2. He campaigned as a Conservative Christian but then legalised gay marriage. Da ****?
3. He's an American president but signed a deal giving Israel USD 35 billion when their country apparently has USD trillion debt? Da ****?
4. He let Hillary Clinton bully him into starting wars in Africa and then doing finger pointing at everyone else after the fact. Da ****?

Being a weak diplomat is as dangerous as being a hateful warlord. Because they both go off baseless emotions. But hateful warlord or not at least Trump is willing to address the Muslim problem legislatively. The power of the pen, people.

In another world if the threat was Jewish terrorism or alien invasion I'd say the same thing; it's **** all to do with Muslims. It's the principle that their biggest threat is Muslim terrorism and it makes sense to regulate them even if it makes you angry or cry. But he's still allowing 50k migrants in. So everyone sit back down and calm yourselves.

Dude people have already been turned away from the US... the ban has already been enacted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Dude people have already been turned away from the US... the ban has already been enacted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude whatever then that makes it all the more effective, doesn't it. All that does is make my point even more valid.
Original post by 0to100
Dude whatever then that makes it all the more effective, doesn't it. All that does is make my point even more valid.

The bigger question is, why are permanent residents being affected by the ban as well... like regulation is swell and everything but when you are banning current visa holders and permanent residents from entering the nation as well... that's messed up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128

"UPDATE: Federal judge Ann Donnelly TEMPORARILY blocked Trump’s order to ban refugees and now temporary emergency stay is provided for people with valid US visas."
The bigger question is, why are permanent residents being affected by the ban as well... like regulation is swell and everything but when you are banning current visa holders and permanent residents from entering the nation as well... that's messed up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because who knows what they were doing overseas. It makes perfect sense even if it faces opposition.
Original post by 0to100
Because who knows what they were doing overseas. It makes perfect sense even if it faces opposition.

I guess we just have to agree to disgree on this one but I guess it all could be a moot point with what is noted in the post above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EC

"UPDATE: Federal judge Ann Donnelly TEMPORARILY blocked Trump’s order to ban refugees and now temporary emergency stay is provided for people with valid US visas."

That's the power of state sovereignty...but who knows how long that will last. He seems to get aggressive when challenged. The ban is more so for him to make a statement that he sticks by WANTING to blockade migrants, rather than him actually going through with it. Simply signing the order is a major slap in the face to his enemies which is all he seems to care about.
I guess we just have to agree to disgree on this one but I guess it all could be a moot point with what is noted in the post above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree to disagree on what, and it's not a moot point because it's temporary.
Original post by 0to100
Agree to disagree on what, and it's not a moot point because it's temporary.

I disagree with the fact that he's banning people with permanent residences and valid visas from entering the nation.

Yeah it's temporary but that satisfies me for the moment.

Anyhow, it's Chinese New Year, so time to go make Dumplings :tongue: cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're not Muslim it's really nothing to do with you seriously. You shouldn't be up in arms about someone wanting them banned, it doesn't affect you one bit.
I disagree with the fact that he's banning people with permanent residences and valid visas from entering the nation.

Yeah it's temporary but that satisfies me for the moment.

Anyhow, it's Chinese New Year, so time to go make Dumplings :tongue: cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao! Don't be a coward quoting me then running off. Why does it satisfy you? Are you Muslim? And why are you even mentioning the VISAS thing. Did I say anything about Visas?
Original post by 0to100
Lmao! Don't be a coward quoting me then running off. Why does it satisfy you? Are you Muslim? And why are you even mentioning the VISAS thing. Did I say anything about Visas?

Nah It doesn't affect me at all, just think it sets a dangerous precedent for immigration to the United States for all minorities. This feels more like religious persecution then anything else. Satisfied cuz I needa go eat lunch now before my family becomes upset lool and the visas thing is just a point I'm making, not a response to anything you said, just indirectly related due to the topic at hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by 0to100
That's the power of state sovereignty...but who knows how long that will last. He seems to get aggressive when challenged. The ban is more so for him to make a statement that he sticks by WANTING to blockade migrants, rather than him actually going through with it. Simply signing the order is a major slap in the face to his enemies which is all he seems to care about.

He can't simply stop people from migrating. And even Trump's wife is an immigrant...plus every green card holder benefits from freedom of movement.

Original post by 0to100
Because who knows what they were doing overseas.

Who knows what US citizens abroad are doing overseas? Should we block their re-entry too?

Bear in mind that green card and visa holders aren't people who are applying for permission to travel to the US - they are people who have already been granted permission, but not being let in anyway.
Reply 139
Ineffective, wrong, useless

Latest

Trending

Trending