The Student Room Group

Literature to improve specific (Maths,CompSci) vocabulary [needed]

Hello!

I applied to universities three months ago and got some offers already. Due to my holiday break I have some free time now and basically, I do need some books so as to broaden my English language (not my main one ofc), especially in maths and computer science... What would you recommend then? :smile:

Thanks for help!
Reply 1
upup
'The New Turing Omnibus' is a great one that dives into a large number of different topics in CompSci - albeit not with immense depth; but it's still great for introducing loads of topics before you study them properly.

'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' is a bit less CompSci but uses some great language and is a great read.

Which Unis have you applied to?
I don't know about introduction to English language and stuff as English is my primary, however 'A First Course in Discrete Mathematics' by J Molluzzo and F Buckley has really helped me get ahead on my math module.

As for the programming side of things, I can't really recommend a book as you haven't stated what programming language your first year will predominantly be in. :P
Reply 4
Original post by zackdove
'The New Turing Omnibus' is a great one that dives into a large number of different topics in CompSci - albeit not with immense depth; but it's still great for introducing loads of topics before you study them properly.

'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' is a bit less CompSci but uses some great language and is a great read.

Which Unis have you applied to?

Warwick,Imperial,Edinburgh,Glasgow,Southampton.

Offers: Warwick,Soton,Glasgow.
Still haven't heard from Imperial or Edinburgh tho and offer from Glasgow is ridiculos :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by loooopppyyy
I don't know about introduction to English language and stuff as English is my primary, however 'A First Course in Discrete Mathematics' by J Molluzzo and F Buckley has really helped me get ahead on my math module.

As for the programming side of things, I can't really recommend a book as you haven't stated what programming language your first year will predominantly be in. :P

Ohhhhh sorry, I forgot to mention that! I am coding in C++ now (mainly algorithms, but not only basic ones), so I hope I will be doing that next year :smile:
Original post by fifek
Warwick,Imperial,Edinburgh,Glasgow,Southampton.

Offers: Warwick,Soton,Glasgow.
Still haven't heard from Imperial or Edinburgh tho and offer from Glasgow is ridiculos :s-smilie:

What made it ridiculous?
Reply 7
Original post by zackdove
What made it ridiculous?

Haha, good question :biggrin: Firstly, I got the offer 4 hours after sending the application, secondly the requirements are a little bit too high, I mean, I could probably pass my exams on that level, but god, who needs to pass polish language at 85% ?! (I'm from Poland, I'm not good at polish though)
Reply 8
Congrats on your offers! :smile: I'm guessing Imperial is your first choice. What's your second choice? (or maybe I'm wrong)

A few unis have specifically made reading list pages for incoming undergrads. Since I'm going in computer science, I don't know if there are reading lists for other subjects.
Oxford's list (very comprehensive)
Cambridge's list (See the "General Reading" section; just 3 books listed though)
Warwick's list
I'm planning on reading through some of them this summer myself.
Reply 9
Original post by jRaj
Congrats on your offers! :smile: I'm guessing Imperial is your first choice. What's your second choice? (or maybe I'm wrong)

A few unis have specifically made reading list pages for incoming undergrads. Since I'm going in computer science, I don't know if there are reading lists for other subjects.
Oxford's list (very comprehensive)
Cambridge's list (See the "General Reading" section; just 3 books listed though)
Warwick's list
I'm planning on reading through some of them this summer myself.

Thank you very much! That'll do it :smile: About Imperial, I'm not concerned enough whether I can afford to go there, still I am looking forward to receiving an offer from Edinburgh, because of the city... For now first will be Warwick and second Southampton, but I'd love to choose Edinburgh and Warwick!

Where are you going then? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by fifek
Thank you very much! That'll do it :smile: About Imperial, I'm not concerned enough whether I can afford to go there, still I am looking forward to receiving an offer from Edinburgh, because of the city... For now first will be Warwick and second Southampton, but I'd love to choose Edinburgh and Warwick!

Where are you going then? :biggrin:

Applied to Warwick; haven't got a decision yet! I'll go to Edinburgh, most probably. Best course in UK after Oxbridge/Imperial. Research. AI/cogsci. global rep (international student, so that matters). So Edinburgh is an obvious firm for me. :biggrin: If UCL gives me an offer, then I'll have to think.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending