The Student Room Group

Sheffield hallam aerospace engineering tips

I have applied to study Aerospace Engineering at Sheffield Hallam have any current students got any tips.
Hey Matt,

Great to see you've applied for Aerospace at Hallam. What made you choose the course?

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to know from a current student? When you say 'tips', do you mean study tips, or more general information about the course? Let us know what you'd like to know and we'll hunt someone down for you! :horse:

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hey Matt,

Great to see you've applied for Aerospace at Hallam. What made you choose the course?

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to know from a current student? When you say 'tips', do you mean study tips, or more general information about the course? Let us know what you'd like to know and we'll hunt someone down for you! :horse:

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)

I decided to apply for Aerospace Engineering because I have always found the
mechanics of aircraft intresting. I would like to find out about things such as what to revise for before I start.
Original post by mattchapman787
I decided to apply for Aerospace Engineering because I have always found the
mechanics of aircraft intresting. I would like to find out about things such as what to revise for before I start.

Great, OK. Let me find some information for you and I'll get back to you soon!

Laura
Great, OK. Let me find some information for you and I'll get back to you soon!

Laura

Thank you
Hey Matt

I am a current student at Hallam and I can say the best things to revise for are aerodynamics, structures and propulsions. These are the main areas we study/ied there is a materials branch but unfortunately for myself is quite a new feature to Hallam so I am unsure what exactly they cover.

Other things we cover is CAD simulation, professional engineering standards, systems/ avionics and control.
the primary focus would be the aerodynamics and structures though as they seem to be the two modules that people have greatest difficulty with.

When starting to read up on stuff try to go for 'the basics' first as they ease you into the concepts first then work your way into the heavier mathematics.
Original post by mattchapman787
I have applied to study Aerospace Engineering at Sheffield Hallam have any current students got any tips.

Original post by cjtarring3
Hey Matt

I am a current student at Hallam and I can say the best things to revise for are aerodynamics, structures and propulsions. These are the main areas we study/ied there is a materials branch but unfortunately for myself is quite a new feature to Hallam so I am unsure what exactly they cover.

Other things we cover is CAD simulation, professional engineering standards, systems/ avionics and control.
the primary focus would be the aerodynamics and structures though as they seem to be the two modules that people have greatest difficulty with.

When starting to read up on stuff try to go for 'the basics' first as they ease you into the concepts first then work your way into the heavier mathematics.

Hey Matt,

See the advice above from cjtarring3, one of our current Aerospace Engineering students.

I've also spoken to current student, Jordan, who has recommended the following:

'I would definitely recommend that you work on mathematics, particularly calculus. Although you will have covered this during A-Level mathematics, if you're studying this. When you arrive at university you are expected to have a good grasp on methods and be able to perform complex integral and derivations. This will become an advantage during modules such as mechanics, aerodynamics and structural analysis.

"I would recommend brushing up on computing skills and understanding report writing. Although this will be covered during level 4 modules and during induction/freshers week, it wouldn't hurt to begin understanding the process early.

"As for computing methods, such as computer aided design (CAD) with SolidWorks - have a brief look at FEA/CFD with Ansys. Even if this is just reading literature and not hands on with the software, it will give a good insight into what will be expected over the next three years."

Hope that helps :smile: if you've got any specific questions about Jordan's advice, we'll get back in touch with him for some further guidance.

Laura :smile:
I don't go to that uni but I study aerospace engineering. Personally the problem I see is that most people can get good marks in the exams but when it comes to real hands on stuff for example when you have to work on projects such as build a UAV or quadcopter, most people don't know where to start. By that I mean most people aren't good at programming and electronics related stuff. Most of the stuff you learn in lectures doesn't equate to real world at least as an undergrad. I recommend to begin learning some programming language such as C/C++ or python. And get an arduino kit and start messing with it. That will help when you start projects on 2nd and 3rd years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Matt,

See the advice above from cjtarring3, one of our current Aerospace Engineering students.

I've also spoken to current student, Jordan, who has recommended the following:

'I would definitely recommend that you work on mathematics, particularly calculus. Although you will have covered this during A-Level mathematics, if you're studying this. When you arrive at university you are expected to have a good grasp on methods and be able to perform complex integral and derivations. This will become an advantage during modules such as mechanics, aerodynamics and structural analysis.

"I would recommend brushing up on computing skills and understanding report writing. Although this will be covered during level 4 modules and during induction/freshers week, it wouldn't hurt to begin understanding the process early.

"As for computing methods, such as computer aided design (CAD) with SolidWorks - have a brief look at FEA/CFD with Ansys. Even if this is just reading literature and not hands on with the software, it will give a good insight into what will be expected over the next three years."

Hope that helps :smile: if you've got any specific questions about Jordan's advice, we'll get back in touch with him for some further guidance.

Laura :smile:

Thank you this was very helpful.
Original post by cjtarring3
Hey Matt

Thank you this was very helpful.
Original post by bigboateng_
I don't go to that uni but I study aerospace engineering. Personally the problem I see is that most people can get good marks in the exams but when it comes to real hands on stuff for example when you have to work on projects such as build a UAV or quadcopter, most people don't know where to start. By that I mean most people aren't good at programming and electronics related stuff. Most of the stuff you learn in lectures doesn't equate to real world at least as an undergrad. I recommend to begin learning some programming language such as C/C++ or python. And get an arduino kit and start messing with it. That will help when you start projects on 2nd and 3rd years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I am currently designing and building a quadcopter for my engineering project at college so the knowledge that i will acquire from my project will come in useful for my degree.

Quick Reply

Latest