The Student Room Group

How can anyone believe that there is a left wing bias in the media?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"You never see them calling for clamping down on tax loop holes for big businesses and the mega rich for example."

The left are famous for such goals and the press so staunch in its support for higher corporate taxes.

I've never once seen a mainstream media outlet talk about increasing corporate taxes and closing loopholes in the way they attack the working class/disabled for benefits.

When it's advantageous for them, the media will support progressive things. Gay marriage for example (rightly so imo). Things that wont hurt the establishment. Usually social issues.
Yet they rarely talk about raising minimum wage or zero hour contracts.

So it's not a left or right wing bias, it's cherry picking that which doesn't hurt them or their millionaire owner's interests very much.
Original post by astutehirstute
Even senior BBC reporters themselves admit that their coverage on immigration, for example, was biased.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10551618/Nick-Robinson-BBC-made-a-terrible-mistake-over-immigration-debate.html

The thing is they admit it afterwards, but never at the time.

Robinson's a card-carrying Tory. He's in no position to "admit" that the BBC is supposedly left-leaning.
Original post by Zargabaath
I've never once seen a mainstream media outlet talk about increasing corporate taxes and closing loopholes in the way they attack the working class/disabled for benefits.

errrr... that's what I'm saying.

sarcasmˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Original post by JamesN88
Both sides accuse the BBC of being biased towards the other which says to me that they're doing a pretty good job.

In terms of print newspapers the right has a stronger readership.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/abc-figures-national-press-sees-june-brexit-vote-boost-in-print-and-online/

It's not even just a case of people reading what they agree with though. On the whole, people think the press is too right-wing.
errrr... that's what I'm saying.

sarcasmˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Despite taking many online tests, I'm still convinced I'm borderline autistic
Original post by Zargabaath
Despite taking many online tests, I'm still convinced I'm borderline autistic

:tongue:

See @Little Popcorns, I'm not the only one.
The difference is the right is happy to admit their papers are right-wing and biased. We don't take the Daily Mail seriously. We know the Telegraph is unashamedly pro-Tory.
The left on the other hand, being self-righteous as they are, has an obsession with pretending left-wing news is impartial and fair. The Guardian is as sensationalist and biased as the Daily Mail (especially crap by Owen Jones and Polly Toynbee), but the left think it's a fair, respectable source of information. It's really, really not.
Original post by pol pot noodles
The difference is the right is happy to admit their papers are right-wing and biased. We don't take the Daily Mail seriously. We know the Telegraph is unashamedly pro-Tory.
The left on the other hand, being self-righteous as they are, has an obsession with pretending left-wing news is impartial and fair. The Guardian is as sensationalist and biased as the Daily Mail (especially crap by Owen Jones and Polly Toynbee), but the left think it's a fair, respectable source of information. It's really, really not.

i agree with that.

It comes from how left and right view their opponents. The right can be harshly aggressive, especially in the US, and highly insulting. But we don't think having a particular political view makes us morally better than our opponents. We think we are right and they wrong, but we are not better human beings.

The left does, it really does. If you don't accept that everything is about "social justice" (ie whatever the left wing cause du jour is, transgender toilets or unlimited refugee resettlement, whatever) you are beyond, the pale, ipso facto a bad person.

So any news outlet which supports "social justice" is not only speaking truth but also morally good. And any which criticises it, says it is impractical or not sensible policy, is evil, racist: whatever cist or phobe word is appropriate to use.
(edited 7 years ago)
:tongue:

See @Little Popcorns, I'm not the only one.
that's someone saying they're convinced they're borderline autistic you say no no no I'm not and throw your dummy out so... sorry back to the only one status :h:

The problem with this view is that it implies there is a centre ground where ideology doesn't exist and where the real objective truth lies.
The problem with this view is that it implies there is a centre ground where ideology doesn't exist and where the real objective truth lies.

No, my point is that for all intents and purposes there isn't, it's simply the left that pretends there is and it's the left that pretends that's where they themselves are. It's like when they try and use 'ideological' as a criticism of Tory policies, because they're trying to imply that their views are inherently correct, even though obviously all political views and policies are bourne from ideology, including their own. It's such an effing stupid thing to say by the left.
If media that is clearly left-leaning stopped pretending it was impartial and fair then it wouldn't get so much flack for being obviously biased and unfair.

The Dimbleby one doesn't say the BBC is biased at all. It says that on some of its smaller political shows, they don't have the budget to make sure the audience is a particular representative sample and distribution of political views in the same way that Question Time does, so invariably some audiences on such smaller shows will be slanted.

The other two seem to be purely concerned with immigration. Indeed, the third article explicitly says "he said the BBC did not have a problem with political bias and editors did not skew the agenda in favour of any party."

So is it just (or mainly) immigration you're getting at? Just want to get that clear before launching into a longer post on the topic.

The Guardian is and always has been a more serious paper than the Mail. The Mail is a quasi-tabloid. It's more serious than the red tops, sure, but it's always been recognised as not being in the top band of decent papers. The Telegraph would be a fairer comparison.
The headline stories in the DM yesterday was a woman who had a website and claimed she fed her family on food costing £3 a day followed by the internet oing wild over the fact that Mars had introduced a new packet of Maltesers for £3.50. How ridiculous to compare that to the Guardian. The obvious counterpoint is the Telegraph.
Original post by anarchism101
The Guardian is and always has been a more serious paper than the Mail. The Mail is a quasi-tabloid. It's more serious than the red tops, sure, but it's always been recognised as not being in the top band of decent papers. The Telegraph would be a fairer comparison.

The Guardian is only more serious than the Daily Mail in that it focuses on 'proper' news rather than dabbling in celebrity gossip and the like, but it's still just as sensationalist, melodramatic and biased in it's reporting as the Mail is. But like I said, the left think that their causes are inherently 'right'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anarchism101
The Dimbleby one doesn't say the BBC is biased at all. It says that on some of its smaller political shows, they don't have the budget to make sure the audience is a particular representative sample and distribution of political views in the same way that Question Time does, so invariably some audiences on such smaller shows will be slanted.

The other two seem to be purely concerned with immigration. Indeed, the third article explicitly says "he said the BBC did not have a problem with political bias and editors did not skew the agenda in favour of any party."

So is it just (or mainly) immigration you're getting at? Just want to get that clear before launching into a longer post on the topic.

No it is not just immigration I'm getting at.
The answer lies in human psychology.

We have a tendency to think the media is biased towards the other group. For example in Scotland many Rangers Football Club supporters think the media is biased towards Celtic and vice versa. Both positions cannot be true and it simply shows how the human mind works 'in general'. To illustrate the point, I have no idea what the Manchester press is like but I would be confident that the majority of Man City fans think the media is biased towards Man Utd and I would be confident the majority of Man Utd fans would say it is biased towards Man City.

Posting examples of news articles is pointless, of course there will be heavily right wing articles, as there will be heavily left wing articles and a load in the middle. I would also suggest supply and demand plays a factor and IF there is a right wing bias it probably is being fueled by a demand from rising levels of people prepared to pay for right wing populist news articles.
The Guardian is only more serious than the Daily Mail in that it focuses on 'proper' news rather than dabbling in celebrity gossip and the like, but it's still just as sensationalist, melodramatic and biased in it's reporting as the Mail is. But like I said, the left think that their causes are inherently 'right'.

So it focuses on news and has a political leaning like the Telegraph, then? or does the Telegraph or the Right not think think they are inherently right?
Ridiculous comment by you.
Reply 39
While many papers are left-wing and many are right-wing, no paper claims to be non-partisan, and their leanings are based on a population they're aiming at to buy and read their articles. So is it really a problem? People should base their own opinions by reading different, varied and conflicting reports.

However, the BBC *should* be the impartial news source as laid out in their Royal Chater. But whether they hold true to this is up for debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending