The Student Room Group

English Literature Mock (AQA) Next Week. Help needed!

I am predicted an 8/9; probably based on my analysis skills.

Umm, how do I revise for the mock? How should I structure and write my answers in the mock?
(The texts I'm being tested on are Macbeth and Great Expectations).
Reply 1
To feel as calm and confident as you can when you sit down to take the exam, plan as many passed paper questions as you can. This will ensure you are familiar with exactly what the paper involves.
You will have a better, clearer understanding of the question style and will know exactly how long to spend on each question. It is a good idea to know how long you need to leave for reading, planning and writing in the exam maybe bring in your own watch so you feel more comfortable.
Good Luck I'm sure you'll smash it!
Don't stress
Original post by HalemaB
To feel as calm and confident as you can when you sit down to take the exam, plan as many passed paper questions as you can. This will ensure you are familiar with exactly what the paper involves.
You will have a better, clearer understanding of the question style and will know exactly how long to spend on each question. It is a good idea to know how long you need to leave for reading, planning and writing in the exam maybe bring in your own watch so you feel more comfortable.
Good Luck I'm sure you'll smash it!
Don't stress

Do you recommend that I attempt a few past questions, but due to time restrictions I plan out the rest using the PEAL (Point Evidence Analysis Link) structure? Thanks for the useful advice by the way!
Reply 3
Yh i definitely think you should and just go over the ones you're not too confident with so it'll keep you at ease.
Make sure you go over all your notes but don't cram everything in at once instead split it into achievable chunks for the remaining time.
I'll recommend you to watch Mr Bruff on YouTube! He's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HalemaB
Yh i definitely think you should and just go over the ones you're not too confident with so it'll keep you at ease.
Make sure you go over all your notes but don't cram everything in at once instead split it into achievable chunks for the remaining time.
I'll recommend you to watch Mr Bruff on YouTube! He's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that the main thing I am struggling with is how to structure my essays; my analysis and contextual knowledge is quite neat, but I don't know how to structure. Do you have any tips?
Reply 5
Original post by TheMightyBadger
I am predicted an 8/9; probably based on my analysis skills.

Umm, how do I revise for the mock? How should I structure and write my answers in the mock?
(The texts I'm being tested on are Macbeth and Great Expectations).

QUOTES. Revising quotes is so important. You don't need to know long paragraphs just a few words to back up your points.

In terms of writing, split your essay up into different paragraphs for your different points and always start with your strongest point.
For example if you had a question about Macbeth's character, you might split it up and explore first how it changes, then why it changes - this could be split up into paragraphs of the different influences on him (his wife, the supernatural, ambition) and then summarise it at the end.
Original post by mdnvmpr
QUOTES. Revising quotes is so important. You don't need to know long paragraphs just a few words to back up your points.

In terms of writing, split your essay up into different paragraphs for your different points and always start with your strongest point.
For example if you had a question about Macbeth's character, you might split it up and explore first how it changes, then why it changes - this could be split up into paragraphs of the different influences on him (his wife, the supernatural, ambition) and then summarise it at the end.

So what are some quotes you would suggest for that? Like when he is hailed a hero by Duncan in Act 1, to seeing a dagger in another act, being a tyrant, etc.
Reply 7
Original post by TheMightyBadger
So what are some quotes you would suggest for that? Like when he is hailed a hero by Duncan in Act 1, to seeing a dagger in another act, being a tyrant, etc.

Yeah things like that.
'vaulting ambition' is a good one, 'brave Macbeth' all of those kind of things.
"Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hand?" shows his remorse
"Yet do I fear thy nature; It is too full o' the milk of human kindness."
is also a good one for his character from Lady Macbeth
"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none." kind of relates to context and the ideas of masculinity being very important - so the audience can understand his actions to an extent

These aren't the only ones but a few I would suggest revising. Again I don't think you need to even know the whole qupte just the main few words.
Reply 8
100% recommend the use of 'Mr Bruff' he is a YouTuber who has got me grade 7's from a 4/5. I would advise you to make notes or mind maps on his videos and you'll be fine. Most of his content surrounds the AQA exam board, so he has a video for each poem in the poetry cluster and also each chapter in the books you're studying, not to mention a huge range of revision guides and also does language too.

Good Luck!
Reply 9
Original post by AB823
100% recommend the use of 'Mr Bruff' he is a YouTuber who has got me grade 7's from a 4/5. I would advise you to make notes or mind maps on his videos and you'll be fine. Most of his content surrounds the AQA exam board, so he has a video for each poem in the poetry cluster and also each chapter in the books you're studying, not to mention a huge range of revision guides and also does language too.

Good Luck!

Yeah I used his videos and I got a 7 and 8 on my mocks - I probably owe most of my success to him haha.
Original post by mdnvmpr
Yeah I used his videos and I got a 7 and 8 on my mocks - I probably owe most of my success to him haha.

Cheers guys the mock is tomorrow and I just hope I don't let myself down. Its a bit tough because I have Computer Science as well tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending