The Student Room Group

Drake tells hijabi muslim fans to take their scarf off at a concert!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AishaGirl
Before we all pile on the accusation train, let's analyse what was really said.

"I see you 4 girls right there, I hope you having a good time. You got on that hot ass scarf right there, you might want to take this off. You got to turn *muffled* up. You don't need to come out with that sh*t".

Me being a Muslim women who wears the hijab, I can tell you right now in a crowded place like that you'd get very hot wearing the hijab. My guess is Drake was saying "you should take the scarf off, it's gunna get hot in here".

I don't think for a second it was meant in an offensive way. He would have said the same thing to someone wearing a jacket. I think people are looking into this too much.

But seriously what is a Muslim doing at a concert in the first place... :rolleyes:

My guess is it's a generational thing when you immigrate into a different culture/society, your kids are gonna be less conservative than you, your grandkids will be even less conservative, and so on, it begins with turning a blind eye to the religious rules that are less plausible to follow i.e listening to music, leaving the house without a husband or family member (If you're a female), and then as generations go by, most to all other rules that are more plausible to follow will eventually fade away i.e not eating pork, fornication, adultery.
Original post by Apocrypha
My guess is it's a generational thing when you immigrate into a different culture/society, your kids are gonna be less conservative than you, your grandkids will be even less conservative, and so on, it begins with turning a blind eye to the religious rules that are less plausible to follow i.e listening to music, leaving the house without a husband or family member (If you're a female), and then as generations go by, most to all other rules that are more plausible to follow will eventually fade away i.e not eating pork, fornication, adultery.

Not my kids, I'ma smack em up if they start eating porking or fornicating, doing drugs and drinking alcohol etc. :naughty:

I will raise them well :h:
Reply 82
Unless he forced them its not that deep fam sheesh. If he forced her thn let her go to court and drain his pockets.
Not very respectful to fans who've paid a lot of money to be at the concert. Of course he has a right to free speech but if I was one of the girls being told to take off my religious dress in front of thousands of people I would be making SO many complaints and would want my money back.
Not my kids, I'ma smack em up if they start eating porking or fornicating, doing drugs and drinking alcohol etc. :naughty:

The process is longer depending on where you live and its a bit case by case, if you're living in an area with a dense Muslim population such as certain areas of the country then western influence is a longer process than it would be in others, but generally when emigrating to a different culture, as generations go by, offspring will adhere to the culture of the country they're born and bred in.

It boils down to religion not being a part of a country's law making entities, if you're in a place where you can do something legally by law, but illegal by your religion, then over time you're more likely to do it given you wont be arrested, and you can just hide it from your family, church/mosque etc.

Most atheists/agnostic non religious people you meet in the UK are probably white/british, but chances are a few generations ago their families were religious, catholic/protestant etc..

I myself was born a catholic, had communion, but stopped going to church at around age 10, and now I engage in many things that would be deemed non catholic.

It's this fear of generational adaptation that has fringe groups in the country wanting to implement sharia law etc..

Actually it is often the children of immigrants who become more conservative than their parents due to a perceived loss of identity. It is not till the grand children when you see these views diluting.

But not averse to child abuse
The process is longer depending on where you live and its a bit case by case, if you're living in an area with a dense Muslim population such as certain areas of the country then western influence is a longer process than it would be in others, but generally when emigrating to a different culture, as generations go by, offspring will adhere to the culture of the country they're born and bred in.

It boils down to religion not being a part of a country's law making entities, if you're in a place where you can do something legally by law, but illegal by your religion, then over time you're more likely to do it given you wont be arrested, and you can just hide it from your family, church/mosque etc.

Most atheists/agnostic non religious people you meet in the UK are probably white/british, but chances are a few generations ago their families were religious, catholic/protestant etc..

I myself was born a catholic, had communion, but stopped going to church at around age 10, and now I engage in many things that would be deemed non catholic.

It's this fear of generational adaptation that has fringe groups in the country wanting to implement sharia law etc..

Well if I catch them doing those things I'll put em on a plane to egypt... they'll soon learn to obey me. If you raise them with good morals and fear of Allah they will be good practising Muslims. I'm not talking about full on Saudi Arabia upbringing but I will teach them how to be a good Muslim.
Original post by Lychee627
Like why would you even go to the concert in a flipping hijab, use your common sense and not disrespect the womens islamic clothing then! Going to a concert and going to a concert in a job are 2 different things tbh:/

i didnt go in the end and im glad i didnt.
Before we all pile on the accusation train, let's analyse what was really said.

"I see you 4 girls right there, I hope you having a good time. You got on that hot ass scarf right there, you might want to take this off. You got to turn *muffled* up. You don't need to come out with that sh*t".

Me being a Muslim women who wears the hijab, I can tell you right now in a crowded place like that you'd get very hot wearing the hijab. My guess is Drake was saying "you should take the scarf off, it's gunna get hot in here".

I don't think for a second it was meant in an offensive way. He would have said the same thing to someone wearing a jacket. I think people are looking into this too much.

But seriously what is a Muslim doing at a concert in the first place... :rolleyes:

I was thinking that may be the case but then, using the language "that **** " to a religious head scarf, is a bit different to a jacket. When I first heard about it, I thought it must have been exaggerated or misunderstood - but when I saw the video, it was quite insensitive the way I saw it.

I wouldn't use that language on Sikhs wearing turbans in a hot environment, let a long suggest they take it off - knowing it's a religious item - if you know what I mean?

I don't know if he was being naive, or has anti-hijab views (which isn't that rare these days I guess).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
I was thinking that may be the case but then, using the language "that **** " to a religious head scarf, is a bit different to a jacket. When I first heard about it, I thought it must have been exaggerated or misunderstood - but when I saw the video, it was quite insensitive I guess.

I wouldn't use that language on Sikhs wearing turbans in a hot environment, let a long suggest they take it off - knowing it's a religious item - if you know what I mean?

I don't know if he was being naive, or has anti-hijab views (which isn't that rare these days I guess).

How can you be sure that Drake thought it was a hijab? He did call it a scarf and not a hijab.
Well if I catch them doing those things I'll put em on a plane to egypt... they'll soon learn to obey me. If you raise them with good morals and fear of Allah they will be good practising Muslims. I'm not talking about full on Saudi Arabia upbringing but I will teach them how to be a good Muslim.

Ahh, but the chances are your kids will merely fear you and not Allah as theyre exposed to western culture, they will ask for proof and reason to fear Allah which is something that can't be proved.
Ahh, but the chances are your kids will merely fear you and not Allah as theyre exposed to western culture, they will ask for proof and reason to fear Allah which is something that can't be proved.

My mother is British and my father is Egyptian and I fear Allah. There is no reason to suggest my children will not learn the religion the same way I have.
Reply 93
Original post by Tahmim14
It really saddens me to think that most non Muslims think that the hijab is a sign of oppression where it is actually a symbol of your love for Allah :/
The issue is wheter or not it is compulsory, and the reasons for that.

If there were not Muslim women being punished and even beaten for not wearing it, and there weren't plenty of scholars insisting that it is compulsory and that the reasons are sexual in nature, then I really don't think many non-Muslims would be bothered about it.
But I also think that there would not be many Muslimahs wearing it either.

Why do you call it a "symbol of your love for Allah" when the Quran and hadith suggest that it is to "protect your modesty" from lecherous men?
I think perhaps you mean that it is a symbol of your submission to Islam (I don't mean this in any pejorative way, just as a statement of fact).
Original post by Lychee627
Like why would you even go to the concert in a flipping hijab, use your common sense and not disrespect the womens islamic clothing then! Going to a concert and going to a concert in a job are 2 different things tbh:/

I didnt go. However if i were to go you're telling my i should take my hijab off before i go? Thats pretty stupid. I know i was stupid for wanting to go. Your telling me i should do another sin whilst doing a sin. Very logical wallah.
Original post by TheProphetsPath
Why shouldn't she wear the hijab?
You are suggesting it's silly to wear a hijab if you go to a concert, that's wrong.
Who are we to define a 'proper muslim', everyone sins that doesn't mean one sin should be accompanied by another even bigger one. The sin is still really bad, and they should definitely not do it, but suggesting they should follow it with another one is ignorant.

Wallah i actually think your the only 1 in this thread that has comman sense.
How can you be sure that Drake thought it was a hijab? He did call it a scarf and not a hijab.

True, you may be right, he does appear to be a fan of the hijab :tongue:

Reply 96
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Im actually shocked about some people's logic on TSR.
Me too!
Regularly.
Reply 97
Original post by TheProphetsPath
It's seems more odd to me that people suggest if you are doing one bad thing, you should do more bad things; such as dress immodestly.
I'm laughing because
1. You think going to a music concert is bad, and
2. You think people seeing your hair is bad.
:rofl:
Original post by QE2
I'm laughing because

Both are a sin.
Original post by QE2
I'm laughing because

oi, be nice.

Muslims should not be surrounding themselves with such an environment and yes, muslimahs have to cover their head... you know this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending