The Student Room Group

Price of car insurance for new drivers

The price of insurance for new drivers is ridiculous. I have been on various comparison sites (uswitch, compare the market, confused.com etc) and cannot get a quote for less then around £3600 unless I have a black box, which makes it much more affordable bringing it down to around £2000. However I am not keen to have a black box in my car as I have heard that they can negatively effect your driving habits (people care more about not getting penalised than paying attention to the road). I knew that having a black box brings down premiums it is looking like having a black box is the only way I am going to be able to afford to insure myself for at least the first year. It's not as if the cars I am looking to insure are expensive/flashy as they are all 1.2 or less and worth less than £1000. Not sure if I have made a mistake in the questions or something but the quotes are pretty similar across all the comparison sites.

I am a 17 year old male soon to take their test.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JEH987
The price of insurance for new drivers is ridiculous. I have been on various comparison sites (uswitch, compare the market, confused.com etc) and cannot get a quote for less then around £3600 unless I have a black box, which makes it much more affordable bringing it down to around £2000. However I am not keen to have a black box in my car as I have heard that they can negatively effect your driving habits (people care more about not getting penalised than paying attention to the road). I knew that having a black box brings down premiums it is looking like having a black box is the only way I am going to be able to afford to insure myself for at least the first year. It's not as if the cars I am looking to insure are expensive/flashy as they are all 1.2 or less and worth less than £1000. Not sure if I have made a mistake in the questions or something but the quotes are pretty similar across all the comparison sites.

What's sort of options did you specify? What's the car? How old is it? It's probably too cheap.
Yes, I agree that the value of the car is rather low, and that tends to increase your premium. All the other parts of the quote are correct - you've not selected 'commercial travelling/Class 3 Business use' by mistake have you? Can you put a named driver with more experience on your policy to bring the premium down a bit?
The price of insurance for new drivers is very low. I have been on various comparison sites (go compare, compare the meerkat, confused.bum etc) and cannot get a quote for less then around £20 unless I have a pink box, which makes it much more affordable bringing it down to around £2. However I am not keen to have a black box in my car as I have heard that they can positively effect your driving habits (people care more about not getting caught chewing than paying attention to the apple in their hand). I knew that having a black box brings down premiums it is looking like having a black box is the only way I am going to be able to touch myself for at least the first year. It's not as if the cars I am looking to insure are small/dull as they are all 6.2 or more and worth more than £80,000. I'm sure I have made a mistake in the questions or something but the quotes are pretty different across all the gambling sites.

I am a 2 year old Female soon to steal their Apple.
As crazy as it sounds its often cheaper to spend more on the car and less on insurance (for example my first car and year driving cost me £3500 for the car and £800 fully comp business insurance for three people). The older the car the more risk of it failing and causing an accident.
Reply 5
Original post by President Hawk
The price of insurance for new drivers is very low. I have been on various comparison sites (go compare, compare the meerkat, confused.bum etc) and cannot get a quote for less then around £20 unless I have a pink box, which makes it much more affordable bringing it down to around £2. However I am not keen to have a black box in my car as I have heard that they can positively effect your driving habits (people care more about not getting caught chewing than paying attention to the apple in their hand). I knew that having a black box brings down premiums it is looking like having a black box is the only way I am going to be able to touch myself for at least the first year. It's not as if the cars I am looking to insure are small/dull as they are all 6.2 or more and worth more than £80,000. I'm sure I have made a mistake in the questions or something but the quotes are pretty different across all the gambling sites.

I am a 2 year old Female soon to steal their Apple.

Is.. is this supposed to be funny?
Original post by JEH987

Ive found that the newer the car, the cheaper the insurance. But it depends on how new a car you can afford i suppose.
Check different levels of cover- surprisingly fully comp can sometimes work out to be cheaper than third party fire and theft.
And have you put anyone (such as parents etc) as named drivers?
Original post by IWMTom
Is.. is this supposed to be funny?

Yeah man, just enlightening the dark mood
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
What's sort of options did you specify? What's the car? How old is it? It's probably too cheap.

I was looking at cars such as toyota yaris, fiat punto, ford fiesta, VW Polo that were all around 2004-2007.
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive found that the newer the car, the cheaper the insurance. But it depends on how new a car you can afford i suppose.
Check different levels of cover- surprisingly fully comp can sometimes work out to be cheaper than third party fire and theft.
And have you put anyone (such as parents etc) as named drivers?

Altogether I am looking to spend around £3500 on getting myself on my first car and insurance. My Dad recently passed away who would have been my name driver as he had about 40 years of driving experience but the only people I could have now are my brother or sister, and im not sure if either of them have been driving long enough to bring the insurance down at all. I dont suppose you know how long someone has to have been driving before they would reduce the insurance considerably for me?
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, I agree that the value of the car is rather low, and that tends to increase your premium. All the other parts of the quote are correct - you've not selected 'commercial travelling/Class 3 Business use' by mistake have you? Can you put a named driver with more experience on your policy to bring the premium down a bit?

In my head, if the car was not worth as much then I maybe the insurance would be less because if I were to crash or anything it would not cost as much to fix or would just immediately have it written off. But as that isnt the case i will look at some newer cars and get some quotes for those. thanks.

the only people I could really have as a name driver would be my brother or sister, and im not sure if either of them have been driving long enough to reduce the insurance.
Original post by JEH987
In my head, if the car was not worth as much then I maybe the insurance would be less because if I were to crash or anything it would not cost as much to fix or would just immediately have it written off. But as that isnt the case i will look at some newer cars and get some quotes for those. thanks.

Yes, I understand that thought process. However, another way of looking at it is that a driver of a car which is worth very little will be a less careful driver and as a result possibly cause a lot of damage. It's flawed reasoning, of course (why should a driver of a cheaper car automatically be more likely to have a crash) but that seems to be why cheap cars attract higher premiums often.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JEH987
Altogether I am looking to spend around £3500 on getting myself on my first car and insurance. My Dad recently passed away who would have been my name driver as he had about 40 years of driving experience but the only people I could have now are my brother or sister, and im not sure if either of them have been driving long enough to bring the insurance down at all. I dont suppose you know how long someone has to have been driving before they would reduce the insurance considerably for me?

It varies for everyone. It would be worth getting a couple of quotes online, just to see what the prices would be like with your brother or sister (or both) as named drivers. And if it turns out that one (or both) bring the price down, then you could go for it and put them on there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending