The Student Room Group

Am I being too harsh?

Scroll to see replies

You definitely shouldn't judge someone for not going to uni, maybe she has some financial or emotional problems, or she decided that she wants to live a life in a way different than yours. That shouldn't ever be the reason to decide not to meet someone better.
On the other hand, if you think she isn't intelligent enough, that could be a valid reason to skip a date with someone. However, you shouldn't mix intelligence and education, those two are different things.
Original post by Clareanneh
You definitely shouldn't judge someone for not going to uni, maybe she has some financial or emotional problems, or she decided that she wants to live a life in a way different than yours. That shouldn't ever be the reason to decide not to meet someone better.
On the other hand, if you think she isn't intelligent enough, that could be a valid reason to skip a date with someone. However, you shouldn't mix intelligence and education, those two are different things.

Yeah I agree completely with what you're saying. I realise now that I worded my original post quite badly. The intelligence thing is more to do with the way she talks and the things she says, it just makes her seem quite immature.
Original post by Trinculo
What I love is how TSR is absolute unreality. It's like a wormhole into a parallel universe.

TSR:
-Wants to meet someone smart and engaging
-Goes on Tinder - a dating app optimised for physical appearance
-Complains that she might not be smart or engaging enough

Reality:
-Match with someone attractive on Tinder - but she's just a waitress.
-Doesn't matter. It's a done deal.
-Occupation and level of intellectual sophistication do not even make the list of criteria

What do you mean when you say it's a done deal?
Original post by Anonymous
What do you mean when you say it's a done deal?

Irl, if a normal man goes on Tinder and gets matched with someone, it's a done deal in the sense that they usually happily go on a date with said person. They've already been pre-screened in the sense that you right-swiped them already.

There's no concept of "She's too dumb to go on a date with me." It's Tinder. That's not what it's for.
Original post by Trinculo
Irl, if a normal man goes on Tinder and gets matched with someone, it's a done deal in the sense that they usually happily go on a date with said person. They've already been pre-screened in the sense that you right-swiped them already.

There's no concept of "She's too dumb to go on a date with me." It's Tinder. That's not what it's for.

Ah ok fair enough, I am gonna go on the date to see how it goes and just see what happens
yes u are being too harsh ! so what if she didn't go to university and just has a normal job it doesn't mean that shes stupid!! and if ur just planning on having sex with her (I assume so cos that's what most people use tinder for) then why does it matter about that?
Original post by kaylababesxx
yes u are being too harsh ! so what if she didn't go to university and just has a normal job it doesn't mean that shes stupid!! and if ur just planning on having sex with her (I assume so cos that's what most people use tinder for) then why does it matter about that?

I'm not just planning on having sex with her. It doesn't seem likely that we'll have sex after this date anyway since we're just going to the cinema.
Ah ok fair enough, I am gonna go on the date to see how it goes and just see what happens

If you're sincere about all this, then you've got no business on Tinder. What you want is like a dating version of The Voice. Really, you'd be happier finding someone on TSR.
I know it sounds bad but I just think that we won't have many things in common to actually talk about and if there is a big intelligence gap then things might not be great. She does seem nice though and she looks really good so I'm just not sure what to do.

How do you know that!? I know that I for sure do not talk as smart as I am when texting or on social media but I can still write A* quality papers. And did you ever think that she may not have gone to uni because she could not afford it? you should never judge someone based on a meeting on tinder, especially how intelligent they are. My dad went to uni and my mum did not and they are extremely happy tighter and own a common 4 bedroom house together.
Well tbf I made a judgement based on what limited information I had which is what most people do on tinder anyway and you have made a judgement on me bases on one thread which is a lot less that I had to go on when talking to this girl so really you have done exactly the same thing as me.

I didn't judge you on the basis of you going to uni or not - I judged you on the basis of thinking you're too smart for a girl and making a thread about it. Your subsequent replies also make you sound like a judgemental prick. You clearly tried to link her intellect with the fact she doesn't go uni, which is irrelevant.

If I had now judged you for your social class, appearance or otherwise, then yes, you could say I did the same thing as you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
I didn't judge you on the basis of you going to uni or not - I judged you on the basis of thinking you're too smart for a girl and making a thread about it. Your subsequent replies also make you sound like a judgemental prick. You clearly tried to link her intellect with the fact she doesn't go uni, which is irrelevant.

If I had now judged you for your social class, appearance or otherwise, then yes, you could say I did the same thing as you.

What I meant is that you judged me based on what limited information you had which is what I had done to her and I have repeatedly said there are other things that make her seem quite immature, not just not going to uni. So how do my replies make me sound like a judgemental prick?
Yeah I'm hoping that too. I do actually want it to go well because she does seem nice.

Aww, wish you all the best! Good luck :h:
Reply 92
first of all you should never say so0mebody " is just" anything thats just rude. second of all if u actually like someone and get along with them ok then why the hell does wether or not their particualy intelligent matter?
Reply 93
Nha dont meet up. Shes not good enough for you Albert Einstein.
What I meant is that you judged me based on what limited information you had which is what I had done to her and I have repeatedly said there are other things that make her seem quite immature, not just not going to uni. So how do my replies make me sound like a judgemental prick?

Since you want to play the "Oh I am so innocent card", let me help you out.

Some others may have not noticed, but I can see that you have already changed your original post, probably because you realised you sounded like a "judgmental prick".

Just some quotes from you earlier:
I feel bad because we do have some similar interests and we seem to get on but I m thinking about cancelling the date because of the fact she isn't at uni

I bet you forgot that you said that?

she left college and now id just a waitress

Sure you meant "is", but you sure sound lovely. When questioned about it, your response was:
Fair enough but its the truth, a waitress isn't exactly a good job.

Charming :rolleyes:
I know it sounds bad but I just think that we won't have many things in common to actually talk about and if there is a big intelligence gap then things might not be great. She does seem nice though and she looks really good so I'm just not sure what to do.

Unless she is braindead, I find it hard to believe there is this huge intelligence gap. You say you guys have some similar interests, but still won't have anything to talk about? Contradiction much? Or was you looking to date yourself...
How so? For a start I did decent a levels at college and got good grades and ended up in a good uni. Surely that shows intelligence?

If you believe that, implying that this girl isn't intelligent because she didn't meet this grand feat...I repeat, "Poor girl...".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
Since you want to play the "Oh I am so innocent card", let me help you out.

Some others may have not noticed, but I can see that you have already changed your original post, probably because you realised you sounded like a "judgmental prick".

Just some quotes from you earlier:

I bet you forgot that you said that?

Sure you meant "is", but you sure sound lovely. When questioned about it, your response was:

Charming :rolleyes:

Unless she is braindead, I find it hard to believe there is this huge intelligence gap. You say you guys have some similar interests, but still won't have anything to talk about? Contradiction much? Or was you looking to date yourself...

If you believe that, implying that this girl isn't intelligent because she didn't meet this grand feat...I repeat, "Poor girl...".

How could I change my original post? When you post anonymously you can't edit your posts so I think you'll find it's exactly as it was.
Just a quick update. She cancelled the date saying that she had been seeing someone else and things were going well so we shouldn't meet up. The thing that gets me is that the cinema was her idea and there was only a week between arranging the date and when it was supposed to happen so I don't see how she could've started seeing someone properly and for it to be going really well in that short space of time.
Just a quick update. She cancelled the date saying that she had been seeing someone else and things were going well so we shouldn't meet up. The thing that gets me is that the cinema was her idea and there was only a week between arranging the date and when it was supposed to happen so I don't see how she could've started seeing someone properly and for it to be going really well in that short space of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending