The Student Room Group

Randomly selected for EPQ AQA moderation (in distress)

Hello,
I am posting this in search of some kind of reassurance or just clarification. Today, the EPQ supervisor from my school has sent an email stating that some students were selected so that AQA can moderate the grades, possibly lowering some (or, even raising some marks, who knows?) Point is, after hearing this I was mortified. My aims are to get A*s all across the board, including on my EPQ. And I did, I got 47/50 marks. However, this may not be the case anymore. I am extremely scared and worried about my grades being lowered. After all, I went very much above the recommended word limit (limit was 5k, I wrote 9k), and my teacher supervisor had given me 42 marks, the main supervisor raised it by 5 marks; besides that, other much better projects got less marks than I did. I am 2 marks away from being downgraded, my project is the perfect specimen for this to occur, I feel awful. If it gets lowered, I'll feel crushed, I worked extremely hard on it, hours and hours everyday to make the best project as possible, not getting an A* might genuinely affect the entire rest of my final year. Although my supervisor has reassured me before that my project is excellent, two of my teachers read it and said it was Uni quality stuff, I still don't feel secure, if the grade lowers I will feel like a failure. Should I be this worried? Am I freaking out for no reason? I don't know what to do.
Original post by ZecaPagods
Hello,
I am posting this in search of some kind of reassurance or just clarification. Today, the EPQ supervisor from my school has sent an email stating that some students were selected so that AQA can moderate the grades, possibly lowering some (or, even raising some marks, who knows?) Point is, after hearing this I was mortified. My aims are to get A*s all across the board, including on my EPQ. And I did, I got 47/50 marks. However, this may not be the case anymore. I am extremely scared and worried about my grades being lowered. After all, I went very much above the recommended word limit (limit was 5k, I wrote 9k), and my teacher supervisor had given me 42 marks, the main supervisor raised it by 5 marks; besides that, other much better projects got less marks than I did. I am 2 marks away from being downgraded, my project is the perfect specimen for this to occur, I feel awful. If it gets lowered, I'll feel crushed, I worked extremely hard on it, hours and hours everyday to make the best project as possible, not getting an A* might genuinely affect the entire rest of my final year. Although my supervisor has reassured me before that my project is excellent, two of my teachers read it and said it was Uni quality stuff, I still don't feel secure, if the grade lowers I will feel like a failure. Should I be this worried? Am I freaking out for no reason? I don't know what to do.

You are freaking out for no reason. Exam boards pick some EPQs for moderation as examples of how your school is marking EPQs generally. If they decide that your school is being too generous, then all EPQs at your school will have their marks lowered. Similarly, if they decide that your school is being too harsh, then all EPQs at your school will have their marks raised.

So your mark could go up or down even if it wasn't one of those chosen for the moderation process.
Why did you go so massively over the word limit exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest