The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NothingButWaleed
What does tagging do?

It just means that you received a notification that directed you to this thread.
Original post by notnek
It just means that you received a notification that directed you to this thread.

oh ok
Reply 22
If half the machines are used it would take double the time to make all the bottles, hence, 4 machines would take 10 days!

That's right. But you are told that the 4 machines worked for 2 days so they can't have made all the bottles. How much of the bottles did they make?
If half the machines are used it would take double the time to make all the bottles, hence, 4 machines would take 10 days!

That would be the case if only 4 machines were in operation for the entirety of the time that it takes for the bottles to be manufactured.

However,

From the 3rd day, all 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

How can you use your deduction that 8 machines take half as long as 4 machines to create the same amount of bottles?
Original post by notnek
That's right. But you are told that the 4 machines worked for 2 days so they can't have made all the bottles. How much of the bottles did they make?

i dont know
Original post by _gcx
That would be the case if only 4 machines were in operation for the entirety of the time that it takes for the bottles to be manufactured.

However,

How can you use your deduction that 8 machines take half as long as 4 machines to create the same amount of bottles?

What does "deduction" mean?
Reply 26
i dont know

Ignore what I said. @_gcx will help you solve the question in a better way.
Original post by notnek
Ignore what I said. @_gcx will help you solve the question in a better way.

But i dont understand what he is talking about!
Original post by _gcx

However,

Maybe multiply it by 2?
i dont know

We know that 1 day with 8 machines will produce the same amount of bottles as 2 days with 4 machines. How can we use this information to work out how long it takes running with 4 machines for 2 days, then 8 machines after that?
Reply 30
But i dont understand what he is talking about!

This is a tough question that most found hard - you just need a bit more explanantion and I think you'll get it, you just need to be patient! I can help later if _gcx isn't free.
Original post by _gcx
We know that 1 day with 8 machines will produce the same amount of bottles as 2 days with 4 machines. How can we use this information to work out how long it takes running with 4 machines for 2 days, then 8 machines after that?

I would use ratios...

1 day :8 machines = same amount of bottles
2 days:4 machines = same amount of bottles

So..
4 days:2 machines = same amount of bottles
?????
I would use ratios...

So..
?????

This might be a better way to think about it: Think of the 5 days as a countdown.

Every day at half efficiency (4 machines) subtracts half (for essentially a half day's work).

Every day at full efficiency (8 machines) subtracts one (for a full day's work)
Original post by _gcx
this might be a better way to think about it: Think of the 5 days as a countdown.

Every day at half efficiency (4 machines) subtracts half (for essentially a half day's work).

Every day at full efficiency (8 machines) subtracts one (for a full day's work)

whaaatttt???
Reply 34
I would use ratios...

So..
?????

Do you agree that 4 machines in 2 days make the same amount of bottles as 8 machines in 1 day?

So if you like we can replace "4 machines in 2 days" to "8 machines in 1 day" in the question. So the question becomes:

The 8 machines in the factory could make all the bottles in 5 days.
All the machines work at the same rate.

Stage 1 : For 1 day, 8 machines are used to make the bottles.
Stage 2: All 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

How long wil stage 2 take?
Original post by notnek
Do you agree that 4 machines in 2 days make the same amount of bottles as 8 machines in 1 day?

So if you like we can replace "4 machines in 2 days" to "8 machines in 1 day" in the question. So the question becomes:

5 days
Original post by notnek

OHHHHHHHHHHH.....
so 1 day for 8 bottles and 5 days for the rest so 1+5 = 6 days in total!
This is such a good way to understand it the other ways were so confusing
Reply 37
5 days

No, notice that stage 1 took 1 day and 8 machines make all the bottles in 5 days. So how many extra days are needed for stage 2?
Reply 38
OHHHHHHHHHHH.....
so 1 day for 8 bottles and 5 days for the rest so 1+5 = 6 days in total!
This is such a good way to understand it the other ways were so confusing

No this isn't right but you're close. Read my post above.

Also remember that "1 day for 8 bottles" is used as a technique to find the number of days in stage 2. But stage 1 actually took 2 days if you read the question.
Original post by notnek
No, notice that stage 1 took 1 day and 8 machines make all the bottles in 5 days. So how many extra days are needed for stage 2?

idk how can i work that out?

Latest