The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

QUICK QUESTION:

is this quiet common interview question or not?

Why you? Whats unique/what will you bring?

-Do you normally discuss the skills you have/the experience etc
Hiya! saw this thread and thought it would be a good place to shamlessly offer my materials! I'm willing to sell at a good price and i have a BUNCH of GAMSAT materials: - Gold standard Gamsat most recent edition - Gradmed- bio, physics, chem study guides. Including the big fat practice papers for each. Basically everything that is given for the gradmed course for section 3 - MCAT Book -Verbal reasoning Kaplan book with passages etc I don't have a specific price in mind, so i'm willing to give a reasonable price- i'd just love to get them off my hands and hand it to someone who needs it! Message me if interested! Thanks
Original post by Penguin1024
I am a current first year student on the 4 year med course at Oxford. Shoot me any questions if you have them :smile: Good luck to you all!!

Hey! I have an offer for Oxford 4-year, but was just wondering when you started your first term; there's only info for the 6-year clinical students online at the minute so I'd be really grateful for an idea of when we start :smile:
Original post by Themightylaa
Does anyone who's interviewed previously at SGUL know if it's usually a single question per station? Been practising and my interview books recommend a maximum of 2.5-3 mins per answer but I don't want overrun trying to use the 5 minutes appropriately, especially if unbeknownst to me they are planning asking a second question that I don't leave time for.

Anyone any experience with this? I know each station is essentially 'themed' but unsure if it's a single question/task or multiple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I remember correctly there was 6-7 minutes per station. The set-up was you start at one station (there were 7 of them....I think), enter, introduce yourself, read the question and have a think (which is where I tripped up, blasted nerves) before answering. I have mine next Friday, I really hope they have separate rooms for the stations as last year it was set-up with office cubicle barriers which meant you heard the other candidates while you were answering, not very helpful when you need to concentrate but maybe that was the point. Good luck! Also IMHO the books made my interviews worse as you get caught up in trying to remember, my tip is to have an open mind when considering your response that way it will sound genuine :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
How did SGUL interviews go for those that have had them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did SGUL interviews go for those that have had them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too terrible. Definitely felt more confident on some stations than others but I think everything was answered at least reasonably...
Original post by Sapje321
Not too terrible. Definitely felt more confident on some stations than others but I think everything was answered at least reasonably...

I know you can't discuss about the interview itself, but how was everything else? Did you get a tour of the university and how was the room you did the interview in, was it little cubicles in a large room or just desks around the perimeter etc? Sorry to be a pain, I'm the kind of person that likes to have a mental image of the situation beforehand in my planning haha! Hope you get what you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know you can't discuss about the interview itself, but how was everything else? Did you get a tour of the university and how was the room you did the interview in, was it little cubicles in a large room or just desks around the perimeter etc? Sorry to be a pain, I'm the kind of person that likes to have a mental image of the situation beforehand in my planning haha! Hope you get what you want!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know about the morning but for the afternoon, there are three interview groups. 2, 3 and 4 pm. The 2pm group does interviews first and then the tour of the facilities and the others do their tour at 2pm and then their interviews.

Each station is walled off and the room has plenty of space for all the stations.
So I need some advice.. I've recieved offers for both Warwick and Southampton.

I'm trying to basically eat up the pros and cons of both, has anyone got any information about either university that they'd like to share?
Original post by Sapje321
I don't know about the morning but for the afternoon, there are three interview groups. 2, 3 and 4 pm. The 2pm group does interviews first and then the tour of the facilities and the others do their tour at 2pm and then their interviews.

Each station is walled off and the room has plenty of space for all the stations.

Are you allowed to reveal the stations? As in, what the themes were as opposed to the exact scenarios or questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Are you allowed to reveal the stations? As in, what the themes were as opposed to the exact scenarios or questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, that would definitely offer advantages to those yet to interview. We aren't allowed to say anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DelphiDeWitt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid not. Just make sure you're familiar with the questions that tend to be asked in interviews and there will be no big surprises I reckon.

Side question: Are you Dutch/is your username Dutch?
I have a question which I presume might be hard to answer, considering that nobody has an in depth perspective on both a 5/6 year course and a 4 year GEM simultaneously.

Do you miss out on a more comprehensive medical training in a 4 year degree, as I presume they would need to compress the learning material and streamline it in order to fit it into a four year programme? The only way I have been able to gauge the differences between the usual undergraduate degree and GEM was through reading through module choices for the two and try and grasp how one might offer a more well rounded training than the other. I would be grateful if anybody could shed more light on this.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
I have a question which I presume might be hard to answer, considering that nobody has an in depth perspective on both a 5/6 year course and a 4 year GEM simultaneously.

Do you miss out on a more comprehensive medical training in a 4 year degree, as I presume they would need to compress the learning material and streamline it in order to fit it into a four year programme? The only way I have been able to gauge the differences between the usual undergraduate degree and GEM was through reading through module choices for the two and try and grasp how one might offer a more well rounded training than the other. I would be grateful if anybody could shed more light on this.

Hello,

The GMC dictate all of the learning outcomes (can be found in "tomorrow's doctors") that are necessary to obtain a primary medical qualification in the UK, and so there is supposedly homogeneity between all such degrees - be it a 4,5 or 6 year course; MBBS, MB ChB etc.

The teaching style, emphasis and pace however does vary quite significantly between courses and institutions, but this shouldn't be a hindrance on what medical career you can attain in the future.

What is most important is that you choose a course and University that best suits you and where you can see yourself being comfortable and happy for a sizeable portion of your life :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jfletchy
Hello,

The GMC dictate all of the learning outcomes (can be found in "tomorrow's doctors":wink: that are necessary to obtain a primary medical qualification in the UK, and so there is supposedly homogeneity between all such degrees - be it a 4,5 or 6 year course; MBBS, MB ChB etc.

The teaching style, emphasis and pace however does vary quite significantly between courses and institutions, but this shouldn't be a hindrance on what medical career you can attain in the future.

What is most important is that you choose a course and University that best suits you and where you can see yourself being comfortable and happy for a sizeable portion of your life :smile:

Most of the 5 year programmes you do graduate with a bmedsci as well, would this indicate the graduate entry often skips out on the 'research' aspects of medicine, and wouldn't be a good foundation building experience if one were to enter research?
Most of the 5 year programmes you do graduate with a bmedsci as well, would this indicate the graduate entry often skips out on the 'research' aspects of medicine, and wouldn't be a good foundation building experience if one were to enter research?

I may be wrong here, but I think 5 year courses only recieve a bmedsci if they choose to intercalate which results in the actual length being 6 years. Working in a research lab currently, the med students who start their bmedsci years are often useless in the lab, so therefore I wouldn't think the standard 5 year course would offer any benefit for entering research later on. They might do a short 10 week project or something, but I'm not sure?

Another thing to consider if that a lot of individuals on the 4 year GEM courses have already done science degrees and will probably have a fair bit of research experience. I do think most graduate courses are less likely to have much research aspects within the degree (cambridge and oxford are apparently quite geared towards academic doctors though).

However! As far as I can tell it's not too difficult to get involved in research once you are a doctor, and many places are very keen for their juniors to get involved.
Original post by neuromeg
I may be wrong here, but I think 5 year courses only recieve a bmedsci if they choose to intercalate which results in the actual length being 6 years. Working in a research lab currently, the med students who start their bmedsci years are often useless in the lab, so therefore I wouldn't think the standard 5 year course would offer any benefit for entering research later on. They might do a short 10 week project or something, but I'm not sure?

Another thing to consider if that a lot of individuals on the 4 year GEM courses have already done science degrees and will probably have a fair bit of research experience. I do think most graduate courses are less likely to have much research aspects within the degree (cambridge and oxford are apparently quite geared towards academic doctors though).

However! As far as I can tell it's not too difficult to get involved in research once you are a doctor, and many places are very keen for their juniors to get involved.

Thanks for the response, I was quite curious as I am non sci background and didn't want to miss out so to speak on more rigorous training on other scientific processes.

Nope definitely now! My GEM course was just the first year was hell. We did the 2 pre clinical years in one. So in my first year apart from studying, eating and sleeping (occasionally drinking) I didn't do much else. After that year you are just a general medical student with the whole cohort (this is at my uni) for the final 3 years. The first year is literally pre clinical/science hell, I found i really only started learning properly when i went into clinical medicine in my second year.

Obviously a lot of people do research when they intercalate on a Bsc etc, but I've been involved in a bit of research and many audits while at med school. Got some posters out of it! Im a non-science background with no research experience really prior to med school.

You can do research at med school if you want, its useful to get in on a few projects (basically a data collection monkey for coffee). But its not a MUST. I never have and nor will ever step foot in a lab though.

Is that helpful?
I don't know if anyone will be here at this time but I really need some help.

I got rejected by SGUL back in November because even though I sat the GAMSAT twice, I sent them the September sitting score where my S3 score was below 50. The other score was 50 but I sent it too late and not through UCAS. Well, I just saw an email from today that is basically an offer for an interview on Friday and I'm not sure if it's a mistake or something and I don't have any letters of recommendation prepared and haven't done any interview prep since my only other interview is Swansea and they don't do MMI interviews.

1) Should I go?
2) Will my lack of letters of recommendation hurt me?

I'm going to have a word with my ward manager tomorrow and ask for Thursday off so I can at least have a day to prepare.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I don't know if anyone will be here at this time but I really need some help.

I got rejected by SGUL back in November because even though I sat the GAMSAT twice, I sent them the September sitting score where my S3 score was below 50. The other score was 50 but I sent it too late and not through UCAS. Well, I just saw an email from today that is basically an offer for an interview on Friday and I'm not sure if it's a mistake or something and I don't have any letters of recommendation prepared and haven't done any interview prep since my only other interview is Swansea and they don't do MMI interviews.

1) Should I go?
2) Will my lack of letters of recommendation hurt me?

I'm going to have a word with my ward manager tomorrow and ask for Thursday off so I can at least have a day to prepare.

Yes definitely go!

Many applicant's forgot/couldn't bring their references and SGUL gave them a bit of time (a week to ten days - check the SGUL A101 thread) to email over their references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending