I'm 24 and I earn £50k a year AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Nerry
How much do you have in savings?

£55000 roughly
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
I posted this thread on the chat forum, but now it's in investment banking??? Confused...
Original post by P96
Yeah, however, I doubt there will ever be this amount of money to be made in web development, especially if you just work as a front end developer.

You would be surprised. Some established startups and tech companies pay their front end devs beaucoup £££s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sharif92
I posted this thread on the chat forum, but now it's in investment banking??? Confused...

A mod moved it, probably a relevance thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Could you go deeper into what do you do in product control?
What proportion of your after tax income do you save, % wise? Also if you do save, where do you keep moneys, e.g just under normal interest rate or an index fund/ISA
Now I want to inspire and let you guys know that if you work hard and prepare in advance you can get that life you want.

I know this might not be the question you were hoping for (sorry) :colondollar: but how did you know what you wanted to do with your life career wise? I honestly can't figure myself out!
Reply 67
Original post by Princepieman
A mod moved it, probably a relevance thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, thanks for clearing that up
Original post by makrxx
Could you go deeper into what do you do in product control?

In product control, we are responsible for the accounting and financial reporting of trading desks at an investment bank.
Original post by glebp
What proportion of your after tax income do you save, % wise? Also if you do save, where do you keep moneys, e.g just under normal interest rate or an index fund/ISA

I don't aim to save a certain percentage but it's around 40%. I invest into a portfolio of index funds and save some of my income in a savings account.
Original post by ShannyMorrison
I know this might not be the question you were hoping for (sorry) :colondollar: but how did you know what you wanted to do with your life career wise? I honestly can't figure myself out!

Actually, this was exactly the sort of questions that I was expecting! I wasn't expecting any technical questions about my job but more questions about figuring out careers and how to find motivation and questions like that.

I chose to study accounting and finance at university because I was always interested in numerical work and the operational side of things- making sure not too much is being spent, making sure everything adds up and spotting mistakes in the calculations. I always enjoyed maths but I wasn't a fan of complex equations and algebra, but more about numbers and applying maths in a business situation. My dad ran a shop and I used to enjoy seeing which products sold better than others and guessing how much profit he'll earn on a day.

During a levels, I chose to study maths, economics and physics, all quite quantitative but I wasn't interested in hard maths but more about economics and especially business economics. I felt that accounting and finance was a degree that fit my interests well.

At university, I was introduced to banking and the financial markets by a friend. Initially I was planning to work at a company in their accounting department but working at a bank in their finance department wasn't something I knew much about. When I looked into it more, I decided that it was more interesting since you're working Ina more fast paced environment where you have to take a lot more things into consideration, such as the potential value of a financial instrument later on in time and you have to work with other groups such as market risk to make sure that traders aren't taking on too much risk. I decided to check it out by applying to a summer internship in the finance division of a couple of banks. A couple offered me an interview, which I prepared for in advance and did well enough in to obtain the internship. I absolutely loved the internship and the work I did, so I immediately accepted the bank's offer for a place on their graduate programme.
Actually, this was exactly the sort of questions that I was expecting!

Your answer was honestly great, really interesting story. It's actually got me thinking about how I should really look at the skills and interests I already have rather than trying to pull something that 'might land me a good job' for the sake of it - thank you!

Also, congratulations on your successes, you should honestly be super proud of yourself! I'm 20 and I have about £1k to my name but stories like yours push me through :smile: thank you
How many times a week do you **** hookers at the club while smoking crack and downing a bottle of Sauvignon blanc with your mates after work?
Reply 70
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Your answer was honestly great, really interesting story. It's actually got me thinking about how I should really look at the skills and interests I already have rather than trying to pull something that 'might land me a good job' for the sake of it - thank you!

Also, congratulations on your successes, you should honestly be super proud of yourself! I'm 20 and I have about £1k to my name but stories like yours push me through :smile: thank you

No problem! At 20, you still have time to find out what you want to do. I'd recommend writing down a list of what you're good at, what you enjoy and a list of jobs you think you might like. Then do some research on these jobs or industries and see which one seems most appealing and fits you the best. Don't focus on money because 1) If you manage your finances right, you'll have a good lifestyle whatever job you're doing 2) The motivation of money will always wear off but it's the satisfaction that you get from your work that helps you get up every morning.
Reply 71
Original post by kangsterf
How many times a week do you **** hookers at the club while smoking crack and downing a bottle of Sauvignon blanc with your mates after work?

I've never used a hooker, taken any drug, smoked or drank alcohol so my answer is 0 times a week!
Reply 72
Original post by P96
Yeah, however, I doubt there will ever be this amount of money to be made in web development, especially if you just work as a front end developer.

Actually React/JS frontend developers atm are often getting 75k+

They've basically made frontend extremely complex so that the entry barrier is as high as possible so as to push up their own salaries lmao
Reply 73
I used to use this site back when I was doing A Levels and applying for uni and for graduate schemes and it helped me a LOT! Now I want to inspire and let you guys know that if you work hard and prepare in advance you can get that life you want.

I graduated with a degree in Accounting and Finance from a Russell Group uni and now I'm working in a product control role at a major investment bank. I love my job and find it interesting and stimulating. I wake up every day and I know that there will be new challenges to overcome, new problems to solve and great people to work with. I want to help you and inspire you to achieve your dreams, whatever that might be.

How much do you expect to be on in another 5 years?
what is your favorite novel ?
Apologies if this has been asked before (I skipped to the last page), but what does a product control role entail and why do you find it interesting?
Reply 76
Original post by mhsc
How much do you expect to be on in another 5 years?

Roughly £80-90k
Original post by the bear
what is your favorite novel ?

Of Mice and Men
Original post by Akamega
Apologies if this has been asked before (I skipped to the last page), but what does a product control role entail and why do you find it interesting?

Product control is accounting and financial reporting of a trading desk. I find it interesting because I've always been interested in accounting and finance (hence why I chose to study it at uni) and the operational side of a business. The added complexity of working with financial products (especially with derivatives), working with other groups at the bank such as risk and traders, and the environment at an investment bank is what interests me the most about the job.
Congratulations op. You're doing well in your career and remain rooted and humble. It's nice to see someone giving back to the forum

If you are happy in the work you do, life becomes easier and the money takes care of itself as you gain skills and experience. The alternative is to burn out and/or become miserable

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Are you Indian by any chance?
Original post by NX172
Too bad 50k doesn't get you the life you want in London (at all).

How do you know what life he wants? My sister and her boyfriend rent in London, earn less than 50k and have a pretty good life in my eyes.
A good lifestyle is very subjective.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I can't think of anything worse.

Which is why I am ****ed.

Hahaha this is so true!

...fml :emo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending