The Student Room Group

Childcare Grant and household income

Hi there!
I am in a civil partnership and have 4 children, who will be between 7 and 2 when I start a Midwifery course 2024. I've been looking at all funding, so I understand I'll get the £5k+£2k from the NHS, I am pretty sure I will get max maintenance loan, but it's stuff like childcare funding I need to nail down.

So questions are firstly: when calculating entitlement, do student finance deduct the £1130 per child BEFORE they do any calculations? Or is that only for the maintenance loan itself?

And secondly, am I right in thinking that we will basically get nothing if my husband earns about £25k?? Does anyone know how they actually taper/deduct access to the CCG based on earnings? Thank you so much for any support, I really don't think this is going to be doable but I'm *desperate* to go!
Original post by Cstudentmum
Hi there!
I am in a civil partnership and have 4 children, who will be between 7 and 2 when I start a Midwifery course 2024. I've been looking at all funding, so I understand I'll get the £5k+£2k from the NHS, I am pretty sure I will get max maintenance loan, but it's stuff like childcare funding I need to nail down.

So questions are firstly: when calculating entitlement, do student finance deduct the £1130 per child BEFORE they do any calculations? Or is that only for the maintenance loan itself?

And secondly, am I right in thinking that we will basically get nothing if my husband earns about £25k?? Does anyone know how they actually taper/deduct access to the CCG based on earnings? Thank you so much for any support, I really don't think this is going to be doable but I'm *desperate* to go!

Hi there. Disregards are no longer used when assessing for the Childcare Grant (CCG). For the 23/24 Academic Year, the income threshold for 2 or more children is £27,958.19. The figures for 24/25 are not out yet, so this is likely to change. The amount's you could be entitled to are listed here: https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant/what-youll-get

Please note, this also depends on the income and the figures for 24/25 are not posted yet. Our assessors would do the calculation once you apply and the household income is provided. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending