The Student Room Group

Need to find an exam centre ASAP

I'd like to take Scottish advanced highers in physics as an external candidate, (I'm preparing alone) however, i've been turned down by many colleges due to complications in internal assessment units :frown:
I've tried basil paterson and wallace college and no luck.
do you know if your school would allow me to take the exam as an external candidate/any guesses where to try?
Reply 1
Try and talk to your nearest secondary school, preferably to the school's head of department for Sciences/Physics. I think most schools offer AH Physics, mine certainly does. Considering the current pressure on schools and individual departments however you would no doubt have to pay the school the relevant costs for the assessments/final exam.
Reply 2
Original post by PTS_99
Try and talk to your nearest secondary school, preferably to the school's head of department for Sciences/Physics. I think most schools offer AH Physics, mine certainly does. Considering the current pressure on schools and individual departments however you would no doubt have to pay the school the relevant costs for the assessments/final exam.

Part of the problem is that I actually live in England, there are no SQA approved centres here and I don't want to take the full A level in one year (4 extra exams, 6 practicals and I need to meet an A*A*A offer for Oxford. :s-smilie: ) I'm happy to travel to Scotland, and I'm ready to pay the exam fees (it's still cheaper to go up to Scotland than paying for the whole A level!)
AH is only 1 exam + 1 project which is just perfect for me and I like the specification.
I have been turned down by several colleges and I'm losing hope :frown:
Must you pass your internal assessed units (end of chapter tests?) in order to sit the exam/gain a qualification?
Reply 3
Original post by lawlieto
Part of the problem is that I actually live in England, there are no SQA approved centres here and I don't want to take the full A level in one year (4 extra exams, 6 practicals and I need to meet an A*A*A offer for Oxford. :s-smilie: ) I'm happy to travel to Scotland, and I'm ready to pay the exam fees (it's still cheaper to go up to Scotland than paying for the whole A level!)
AH is only 1 exam + 1 project which is just perfect for me and I like the specification.
I have been turned down by several colleges and I'm losing hope :frown:
Must you pass your internal assessed units (end of chapter tests?) in order to sit the exam/gain a qualification?

Hmm, this may make things more complicated as this makes schools much less likely to have a reason to accept you. Instead maybe contact the education departments of a few local authorities and see what they can do for you. I haven't done an advanced higher but if it follows the new format set by National 5s and the New Highers then there will be internally marked unit assessments at the end of each unit, in these assessments each and every single outcome must be met in order for you to pass, in most cases this means basically getting every question correct. If you fail you get a chance of a resit but if you fail the resit then you get thrown off the course. You must pass every assessment to be allowed to sit the final exam.

Btw I thought Oxbridge preferred students to get the required grades in one sitting, which would mean sitting three advanced highers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Where abouts are you in England out of interest?

I should add that most schools will only allow students to sit AH subjects after getting A/B at Higher, so what experience of physics (qualifications) do you already have?
Reply 5
Original post by PTS_99
Hmm, this may make things more complicated as this makes schools much less likely to have a reason to accept you. Instead maybe contact the education departments of a few local authorities and see what they can do for you. I haven't done an advanced higher but if it follows the new format set by National 5s and the New Highers then there will be internally marked unit assessments at the end of each unit, in these assessments each and every single outcome must be met in order for you to pass, in most cases this means basically getting every question correct. If you fail you get a chance of a resit but if you fail the resit then you get thrown off the course. You must pass every assessment to be allowed to sit the final exam.

Btw I thought Oxbridge preferred students to get the required grades in one sitting, which would mean sitting three advanced highers.

I asked SQA and they said I can sit the exams as an external candidate (they didn't mention any needs for passing the internal assessments :frown: )
I'm doing three A levels (maths, further maths, chemistry) and I have my offer for these A levels. I applied for chemistry but I want to change for physics without reapplying or losing a year. An A level equivalent would be useful for that, and as I said, the full A level takes 4 exams. So if I took an AH in physics, I'd have 3 A levels and an AH in one sitting.

Thank you for your help and advice :smile:

"local authorities" = e.g; Glasgow city council in Glasgow ? (sorry if it sounds stupid :biggrin:)
Reply 6
Original post by lawlieto
I asked SQA and they said I can sit the exams as an external candidate (they didn't mention any needs for passing the internal assessments :frown: )
I'm doing three A levels (maths, further maths, chemistry) and I have my offer for these A levels. I applied for chemistry but I want to change for physics without reapplying or losing a year. An A level equivalent would be useful for that, and as I said, the full A level takes 4 exams. So if I took an AH in physics, I'd have 3 A levels and an AH in one sitting.

Thank you for your help and advice :smile:

"local authorities" = e.g; Glasgow city council in Glasgow ? (sorry if it sounds stupid :biggrin:)

It sounds odd them saying that, we have to pass each unit assessments to sit the exam, they set it as a requirement for the qualification. Saying that they are a bit muddled up at the moment because of the changes to all of the qualifications, and angering teachers all over Scotland in the process.

For local authorities I mean county/regional councils, for example Glasgow City Council, Inverclyde, Argyll & Bute. I would suggest these ideas, first if you just want somewhere to sit your assessments and final exam, then pick the border regions - Dumfries & Galloway or Scottish Borders; or second if you want to be taught AH Physics then find a school in a more rural location, ie one with a hostel (boarding house) attached (these are provided to students who have to travel long distances everyday) - Argyll & Bute definitely have these at at least 2 of their schools, Highlands and possibly Aberdeenshire might also have these.

Good luck I hope you work it all out and get your Advanced Higher Physics!
Reply 7
Original post by FrankTeller1234
Out of interest, OP, where did the problems arise in sitting Advanced Higher Physics at Wallace College? I would have expected them to have the facilities available for the AH Physics investigation/internal assessments.

Was it to do with the fact that completing a long term investigation project whilst living in England wasn't exactly feasible as you would have to be conducting it in at Wallace College (in Scotland)?

I ask this because I, as a Scot, was legitimately considering studying AH Physics as a private candidate at Wallace College next year. So it's alarming to here it's not possible. Did they tell you they don't run the course or was it just a matter of logistics?

Hi,

thank you for your answer. They told me they can't make preparations for AH sciences :frown:
Reply 8
I want to book for English GCSE exam in May- June and I already took an online course, the only thing I need is booking exam ?? Please help me
Reply 9
Original post by Mahvash
I want to book for English GCSE exam in May- June and I already took an online course, the only thing I need is booking exam ?? Please help me

This is the SQA exam forum, try the GCSE forum cus I don't think many people here can help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending