The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Maths (with/and Economics) applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

People say LSE is world renowned for economics but not so the maths side, ranking 14th (which is still good) in the UK.
So, if you do get an offer for this course, and are you planning to firm it despite this?
I applied for the joint honours because I really enjoy maths more than econ, but thought them 2 combined would work well for me.

So what would be your reasons for firming it, even if you have offers from uni's which are more renowned for maths, let me know or PM me!
And I was worried that the joint honours would leave me with incomplete knowledge of either of the 2 fields to go into one in the future?

Good luck to you all :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Does the time you sent it determine whether you hear back on these Fridays?
I.e do they plan to stick to their time scale and let the people who sent there's off earlier (I.e October) hear back, and then work their way round the later applicants, or are they going offers to people they are sure about now, despite times applications were sent off? Because I sent mine mid- November and I'm always checking my email for a reply, but should I not bother since I sent mine later than most people, who haven't even heard replies themselves? (Course is Math w econ)

Good luck!
Original post by jainx22
Does the time you sent it determine whether you hear back on these Fridays?
I.e do they plan to stick to their time scale and let the people who sent there's off earlier (I.e October) hear back, and then work their way round the later applicants, or are they going offers to people they are sure about now, despite times applications were sent off? Because I sent mine mid- November and I'm always checking my email for a reply, but should I not bother since I sent mine later than most people, who haven't even heard replies themselves? (Course is Math w econ)

Good luck!

The timing doesn't matter, a couple of my friends who applied in November hold offers for Maths and Econ
Degree: Maths with
GCSE grades: BCCCC
AS subjects and grades: Maths-A Further maths-B Economics-C
A-level Predictions: A*AA
Maths & FM Average UMS: 93,79,92 - 65,86,59
Date Applied: 13/01/17
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Got an offer from Maths with Economics today! Applied on 13th October, received 4 week email on 09/01/17

My stats are on the first post

Congratulations! I got an offer for Maths and Economics a couple of weeks ago. Do you know what first post means?
Original post by Moretex
Degree: Maths with
GCSE grades: BCCCC
AS subjects and grades: Maths-A Further maths-B Economics-C
A-level Predictions: A*AA
Maths & FM Average UMS: 93,79,92 - 65,86,59
Date Applied: 13/01/17

Received an offer today!!
Original post by Moretex
Received an offer today!!

Are you being serious?
Original post by Ladbants
Are you being serious?

Well thats a bit rude. Yes I did.
Original post by Moretex
Well thats a bit rude. Yes I did.

With BCCCC at GCSE and ABC at AS? I know people last year who got rejected with A*A*A and better GCSEs? Can you tell me your secret, I mean clearly there must have been something impressive about your application
(edited 7 years ago)
With BCCCC at GCSE and ABC at AS? I know people last year who got rejected with A*A*A and better GCSEs? Can you tell me your secret, I mean clearly there must have been something impressive about your application

I'm extremely surprised myself. Maybe the fact I quit a 9-5 job to go back into education? I honestly don't know, I didn't even mention economics in my personal statement as I was only applying for maths elsewhere. I can send you my personal statement if you want a read?
Original post by Moretex
I'm extremely surprised myself. Maybe the fact I quit a 9-5 job to go back into education? I honestly don't know, I didn't even mention economics in my personal statement as I was only applying for maths elsewhere. I can send you my personal statement if you want a read?

Could I see it as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Original post by Moretex

Do you mind me having a look at it as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moretex

Yeah could I see it thanks
Did you get a B in Maths and English Language? And lse also asks for four subjects at AS? I'm confused
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah could I see it thanks Did you get a B in Maths and English Language? And lse also asks for four subjects at AS? I'm confused

Nope only a B in maths, C in English Language. Yeah I saw that they prefer 4 AS on their website so who knows.

Original post by AQiiii
Do you mind me having a look at it as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by amelienine
Could I see it as well? Posted from TSR Mobile

Do any of you know if i can get in trouble sharing it before accepting the offer or anything? Just don't want to jeopardise my offer as it means a lot to me!
Original post by Moretex
Nope only a B in maths, C in English Language. Yeah I saw that they prefer 4 AS on their website so who knows.

Do any of you know if i can get in trouble sharing it before accepting the offer or anything? Just don't want to jeopardise my offer as it means a lot to me!

actually it's probably best to be on the safe side, don't share it
Are you going to put lse as your firm choice?
It's just that I was pretty surprised because I know people with multiple A*s at gcse and really high predicted grades and AS who don't all get an offer
Well done, clearly lse thought you were good enough and hopefully you'll make the grades
(edited 7 years ago)
actually it's probably best to be on the safe side, don't share it
Are you going to put lse as your firm choice?
It's just that I was pretty surprised because I know people with multiple A*s at gcse and really high predicted grades and AS who don't all get an offer
Well done, clearly lse thought you were good enough and hopefully you'll make the grades

Yeah for sure going as my firm just waiting on Bristol to get back to me so I can put them as my insurance if they offer me a place!
I was just as surprised as you when I got the email from them, I was ever so close to not even applying as I thought I had no chance.
Thanks a lot I appreciate it
Well done on the offer! Must have been a great PS :smile:
Another offer for Mathematics & Economics! A typical requirement of 38 points in IB with 7 in HL Maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blrtsyan
Another offer for Mathematics & Economics! A typical requirement of 38 points in IB with 7 in HL Maths.

Another offer? You've got more than one?
Reply 159
Another offer? You've got more than one?

You do come across as butthurt and insecure when you talk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending