The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
Yes that's correct.

It's useful for questions with diagrams to check if your answer makes sense (although be careful since diagrams aren't always drawn to scale) : AB looks like it's a similar length to EF so the answer 8.2 looks fine.

If for example you got something like 20cm for EF then this would seem a bit odd so it would be worth double checking your working to see if you made a mistake.

ok and thanks for giving me a useful tip!
Hey can I get a bit of help in answering this question?:smile:
Eton College King's Scholarship Examination 2008 - Google Chrome 17_03_2017 17_40_43.png
Original post by confuzzedsoul
Eton College King's Scholarship Examination 2008 - Google Chrome 17_03_2017 17_40_43.png

Please post your working out or your initial thoughts, even if it's just 'I don't know'. With Maths, you learn more by attempting stuff and going 'okay I understand his bit, but not sure where to go from here' etc.
Original post by SeanFM
Please post your working out or your initial thoughts, even if it's just 'I don't know'. With Maths, you learn more by attempting stuff and going 'okay I understand his bit, but not sure where to go from here' etc.

I have no where to start, all I know the radius is root two
I have no where to start, all I know the radius is root two

Here's a way you could start: connect the centres of the four smaller circles. What shape do you get?

@notnek can help you with this
Original post by BobBobson
Here's a way you could start: connect the centres of the four smaller circles. What shape do you get?

you get a square with side lengths 2 root 2
you get a square with side lengths 2 root 2

Make the diagonal of that square, what is it's length?
Original post by BobBobson
Make the diagonal of that square, what is it's length?

The length is 4 and ohh I see now, wow it seems so easy
why is it x x 16(x 16) 5 though i have the same question and im ab it confused
Original post by whatineedishelp
why is it x x 16(x 16) 5 though i have the same question and im ab it confused

It's hard to know what you're talking about. What was the original question?
Original post by NothingButWaleed
I had this question for my term test. Okay so we need to find out how much rain there was in January but we don't know so let rain of January be "x".
In february there was 16mm more rain so the expression would be x+16
In march there was 5mm more rain than in February so the expression would be (x+16)+5.
Then we know that the total amount of rain was 172 so add all the expressions together..
x+x+16+(x+16)+5 = 172
Then rearrange for x and then u would have the answer!
No ratios needed xD!

im doing the same question and im a bit confused why is it x+x+16+(x+16)+5
Original post by notnek
It's hard to know what you're talking about. What was the original question?

check below
Original post by whatineedishelp
im doing the same question and i'm a bit confused why is it x+x+16+(x+16)+5

Okay..as i said we don't know how much rain there was in January so lets just call it "x" amount of rain...

and then we know that In February there was 16mm more rain so the expression would be 16 added to the amount of rain there was in January which was x; hence, giving us the expression x+16 right...

and then it tells us that in march there was 5mm more rain than in February and if the rain in February was x+16 (the expression we worked out) the amount of rain in march must be (x+16)+5 because there was 5mm more rain...

It tells us that the total amount of rain was 172mm...so if we add the amount of rain in January, February and in March together we need to get 172mm....so we add all the algebraic expressions like this...x+x+16+(x+16)+5, x meaning the amount of rain in January, x+16 meaning the amount of rain in February, etc...

And its should equal to 172 so..
x+x+16+(x+16)+5 = 172

Now simplify the equation...
3x + 37 = 172
= 3x = 135
= x = 45

And because we said there was x amount of rain in January and now that we have worked out the value of x..there was 45mm of rain in January

Hope I helped!
(edited 6 years ago)
thank you
I think the best way of looking at it is the other way around. From the 164 only 68 of them are marked. That means of the 95 collected the day before the gardener has collected 68 again. If the proportion of those collected is the same for the marked and total number of snails then 68/95 = 164/x. Where x is the total number of snails.You then rearrange to find x. 68x = (164)(95).

Latest