The Student Room Group

MSc Immunology -KCL,ICL,Nottingham

Hey guys!:smile:

I will start an MSc in Immunology this year and I got accepted at
King´s College London
Imperial College London
University of Nottingham (Imunology&Allergy):confused:

Due to a scholarship I don´t have to pay fees if I go to Nottingham but I haven´t had that much luck for the other two.
My question is (what a surprise) which one is best..especially in terms of medical science ?
Is the reputation of KCL and ICL really worth spending that much money? (not only fees but living in London as well)
Plus I want to do a PhD afterwards... does anybody have an idea which degree gets you a good PhD position?

Would be great if some people who study one of these courses or a releated one tell me something about it. Or what you guys did after the course...If heared although the drop-out rate at ICL is low the workload can be crazy.

I´m not originally from the UK and I could study in Bonn (Germany) or Amsterdam, too. Would you think the repuation of those two reaches my England options?

Thanks so much for the help!:smile:
Reply 1
..doesn´t have to be somebody who studies Immunology though. I´m happy to hear about the biomed courses or medicine as well, or just the teaching quality workload and dificulty of exams:redface:
Reply 2
I have a question for you. Did you apply to UCL as well? This is pretty much exactly what I would like to do - Immunology. I wouldn't apply until this cycle. Did you have a 1st or 2:1? I am from America with a 3.36 GPA and was told by UCL they consider that a 2:1 and encouraged me to apply. Do you know how competitive ICL long is compared to UCL? Which university would be more world-renowned?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by AcquaLife
I have a question for you. Did you apply to UCL as well? This is pretty much exactly what I would like to do - Immunology. I wouldn't apply until this cycle. Did you have a 1st or 2:1? I am from America with a 3.36 GPA and was told by UCL they consider that a 2:1 and encouraged me to apply. Do you know how competitive ICL long is compared to UCL? Which university would be more world-renowned?

Thanks

..Hm I was hoping to get information on reputation by other people^^. I didn´t apply to UCL and I think application deadline was on the 1st of August. To EU students the fees at UCL are even higher than they are at ICL.. and therefor I didn´t.
I had a 1.7 for my Bachelor with a 1.1 for my thesis... I´m not quite shure how this is equivalent to the UK and US system.
From what I´ve heared so far ICL is better known for beeing a very good nature science and research Uni and UCL is just a good University in general.
But since you are from the US what do you think of the reputation of those two? Have you heared of UCL and ICL before or are the well-known ones just Cambridge and Oxford?
Reply 4
Original post by Mel3234

But since you are from the US what do you think of the reputation of those two? Have you heared of UCL and ICL before or are the well-known ones just Cambridge and Oxford?

Never heard of UCL or ICL before. UCL is ranked 4th in the world for University and ICL is ranked 6th i think. Basically, i want to do MD/PhD in the USA. MD/PhD is the most competitive thing ever. So i am doing this masters program to improve my application. Trying to figure out which school will look the best. Of course Oxbridge would be ideal.
Reply 5
Re: AcquaLife: Out of curiosity, how old are you? And for the record, no MD/PhD programs are not the most competitive thing ever.

Re Mel3234: I studied the MSc Immunology and Immunology at Nottingham and graduated in 2012. I am now doing a D. Phil in Oxford and where I work there are two other Nottingham MSc (different courses to mine though) alums so I wouldn't be so quick to discount Nottingham given that is it also by far the cheaper option when contrasted to London. As you can probably imagine, I did pretty well in that MSc but I wouldn't worry because the workload and exams in this MSc were laughable at best.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by MacroDan
Re: AcquaLife: Out of curiosity, how old are you? And for the record, no MD/PhD programs are not the most competitive thing ever.

I am 22. Why do you ask? It has to be one of the most competitive academic endeavors you can apply for. The MD program costs about $200-500K depending on where you go. The MD/PhD program not only pays that tuition, but it pays you for you entire MD/PhD program. Not trying to argue at all, just wondering what else is as competitive? I'm not sure if in the UK the program is paid for completely.

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by MacroDan

Re Mel3234: I studied the MSc Immunology and Immunology at Nottingham and graduated in 2012. I am now doing a D. Phil in Oxford and where I work there are two other Nottingham MSc (different courses to mine though) alums so I wouldn't be so quick to discount Nottingham given that is it also by far the cheaper option when contrasted to London. As you can probably imagine, I did pretty well in that MSc but I wouldn't worry because the workload and exams in this MSc were laughable at best.

Hey MacroDan,
thank you for that comment. :smile:
That makes me think of Nottingham a bit more again. And yes a PhD at Oxford would be awesome, so I´m slightly jealous ;-).
Besides you saying that the course was quite easy how did you like it?
I mean in terms of the quality of the lectures and the research projects you do as part of your thesis in the end?
I´ve heared you have to choose from a list and they match you to one of your preferences, which is different from the german system. Did you end up with a project you really liked or your 7th or 8th preference?
Sorry about bothering you with that, I´m just excited to finally find a Nottingham graduate from that particular cours so if you find a few free minutes to reply would be awesome:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Mel3234
Hey MacroDan,
thank you for that comment. :smile:
That makes me think of Nottingham a bit more again. And yes a PhD at Oxford would be awesome, so I´m slightly jealous ;-).
Besides you saying that the course was quite easy how did you like it?
I mean in terms of the quality of the lectures and the research projects you do as part of your thesis in the end?
I´ve heared you have to choose from a list and they match you to one of your preferences, which is different from the german system. Did you end up with a project you really liked or your 7th or 8th preference?
Sorry about bothering you with that, I´m just excited to finally find a Nottingham graduate from that particular cours so if you find a few free minutes to reply would be awesome:biggrin:

Es ist kein problem! This is why I am on these boards!

Lectures were good in general although the course director's lectures (in allergy) lacked intensity and were a bit monotonous. There are very little practicals and the ones you will have, you will already know from undergrad which is a shame but they are at least useful (ELISA, Western blot, qPCR and also bioinformatics). They also get in guest lecturers from all over. We had a guy from King's college to talk about things like surface entropy mutation for structural biology and another from Cambridge to talk about humanising monoclonal antibodies. That was very nice and interesting. The classes are generally small so everyone gets to know everyone, the Greenfield medical library is open 24/7 during exam time which is awesome. People on this course are actually based in the Queen's medical centre (a very big teaching hospital) in what can be easily mistaken for a basement. But fear not, you would only be across the road from the famous Nottingham university park with the huge campus and awesome boating lake (so many squirrels!). Just as a side note in case you are into tennis, there are many tennis courts on campus but there is also the Nottingham tennis centre just across the road from university park which has great courts.

As for the research project part (second) of the course: this was by far the best bit. You get a list of around 20-25 projects and you apply for 3 of them. Some are more popular than others which is why they ask you to choose 3. I got my first choice because I emailed the P.Is of the projects I liked most and had an informal chat about it which each. The PI of the project I liked most was great and we got on very well so he e-mailed the course director to let me have his project. Although they actually recommend that you visit the P.Is of your chosen projects, many don't but let me assure you it's worth doing because the decision to see him was a big part of what got me into Oxford! Anyway it was a great 6 months with the research project, I did in the Boots building in university park. The project was well conceived for an MSc student and the supervisor was very good in giving me time to show me stuff and explain things and eve just chat about his kids! I even got a co-first author publication from it! Anyway, enough rambling.

If you like you can PM me more questions, I will be happy to answer.

Viel Glück mit alles!
Original post by Mel3234
Hey guys!:smile:

I will start an MSc in Immunology this year and I got accepted at
King´s College London
Imperial College London
University of Nottingham (Imunology&Allergy):confused:

Due to a scholarship I don´t have to pay fees if I go to Nottingham but I haven´t had that much luck for the other two.
My question is (what a surprise) which one is best..especially in terms of medical science ?
Is the reputation of KCL and ICL really worth spending that much money? (not only fees but living in London as well)
Plus I want to do a PhD afterwards... does anybody have an idea which degree gets you a good PhD position?

Would be great if some people who study one of these courses or a releated one tell me something about it. Or what you guys did after the course...If heared although the drop-out rate at ICL is low the workload can be crazy.

I´m not originally from the UK and I could study in Bonn (Germany) or Amsterdam, too. Would you think the repuation of those two reaches my England options?

Thanks so much for the help!:smile:

Hi!
I saw your post and I was wondering if you could advice me on this. I got into King's, Leeds, Glasgow and Leicester for the Msc Immunology and Infection course. I am also not from the UK and other than the rankings, I have no idea where I should be headed. Do you think King's is the best option out of all, given the reputation?
Reply 10
Hi,

I'm writing my application for the Immunology MSc at King's. Does anybody have any tips on writing a good personal statement? I'm a bit lost! Also, how long were your statements?

Thanks.
You can write about what you like about Immuno and why do you want to study that course. Talk about this particular Msc programme and why do you want to pursue Master's at King's . Talk about you skills and how they help with the course. Can also talk about your aspirations and what you want to do with the skills you acquire at King's.
My SOP is around one and a half page long.
Hope this helps. Cheers !
Reply 12
Thank you for the tips! I've had mixed advice in terms of introductory paragraphs, did you use any kind of inspirational personal/life experience for why you want to study Immunology to grab the reader's attention? Also, is it necessary to include a sentence or two about any extra curricular activities, sports for example, or would you recommend that I stick to academic references?

Well done on your offers. King's does have a very good reputation but the other three are brilliant universities too. I would carefully examine and compare the course structure and content to see what suits you best (some courses will have more of a weighting on exams while others might be more coursework-based).
Maybe have a look at the research that some of the lecturers are doing because there might be an area that particularly interests you. And I don't know how important the location is to you but perhaps that might be something to consider as London will be a lot more expensive compared to the others and personally, I wouldn't want to be all the way up in Scotland.
Yes it would be good to write about your personal experiences to let the reader know that you are really interested in the course and that you connect yourself with the subject. I did write about a couple of instances when I met with some researchers and it broadened my view of immuno . Keep it clear and simple though . It shouldn't sound exaggerated. I guess you can mention you extra curricular achievements , but I'd say keep it short and if possible, try to mention a relevant activity.
Yeah I am a bit worried about the expenses situation. But still I am trying for King's . Lets see where we go.
Cheers.
Original post by Naman Tandon
Yes it would be good to write about your personal experiences to let the reader know that you are really interested in the course and that you connect yourself with the subject. I did write about a couple of instances when I met with some researchers and it broadened my view of immuno . Keep it clear and simple though . It shouldn't sound exaggerated. I guess you can mention you extra curricular achievements , but I'd say keep it short and if possible, try to mention a relevant activity.
Yeah I am a bit worried about the expenses situation. But still I am trying for King's . Lets see where we go.
Cheers.

Did you end up applying for Kings? Just wondering as I'm interested in applying for MSc Immunology.

Anyone know more about the course?
Yes I did. I guess you would have already checked the King's site for the course content , it gives a good idea. You can also speak to some current and past students by finding their contacts on the website.
Cheers !
Hi everybody:

I just found this forum only and would like to know if anybody who applied to the Msc in immunology at King's College could answer one question. I submitted my application about a month ago and I haven't had an answer yet; the deadline to apply is on the 31st of this month. How long did the admission department take to you give you a definite answer about acceptance into the masters?

Thanks in advance!

Ana
Reply 17
Original post by anacristina0914
Hi everybody:

I just found this forum only and would like to know if anybody who applied to the Msc in immunology at King's College could answer one question. I submitted my application about a month ago and I haven't had an answer yet; the deadline to apply is on the 31st of this month. How long did the admission department take to you give you a definite answer about acceptance into the masters?

Thanks in advance!

Ana

Hi Ana,

I sent my application on the day of the deadline and got my acceptance offer mid-May.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending