The Student Room Group

New A - level Geography spec

Basically, I did A-level geography last year, did well in it but now I've decided to redo it again because of lots of different complicated reasons. Basically, I'm using the new Edexcel spec and I've been working through the Edexcel revision guide but I've noticed that the guide isn't in enough detail for the exam and it's really hard to find information when there's nothing online and my teacher isn't really all that. Anyone else going through this? Which revision guides do you use? I'm really struggling with it.

Throughout the year I'll try to find as much info as I can and maybe we could start a little community where we can share all of our info. I'm doing: Tectonics, Coasts, Globalisation and Diverse Places. I did coasts last year so I could help a bit with that, :smile:
Reply 1
Hey! I've done globalisation and tectonics so far, I'm close to finishing both of them. I THINK I'm also doing the following topics, too:
- Landscape systems, Processes and change
- Shaping places
- The water cycle & water insecurity
- The carbon cycle and energy security
- Superpowers
- Global development and connections

If you want to share revision notes, self made Qs, activities etc or any other resources you can think of lemme know 'cause I'm more than happy to do that! And if you have any tips on how to break information down into more manageable chunks that'd be super helpful, I'm not TOO great with essay-ish subjects :P

Oh, and at college we use the Pearson textbook and the Hodder education textbook :smile:
Hey!

Wow, you sound like you're doing well so far.

Hmm... Condensing information is hard. Especially when there's no past exam papers/mark schemes to analyse the key points.

What I try to do is to make my notes less like a story and more short sentences. For instance, try to read the page a few times before you write, highlight/underline key words and then write notes.

I'm going to give you an example from Coasts as it's the area that I'm most comfortable with. This is from the text..

"Sea level is very difficult to predict because there are a number of different components that could effect potential sea level rise:

1. A Major component is thermal expansion of the oceans at they warm due to global warming; the contribution of this component depends on how high global temperatures climb.
2. The melting of the mountain glaciers in the Alps, Himalayas and any other mountain ranges will increase ocean water volume"

There's more but I couldn't be bothered to write it down.

Basically, I'd look at that and write..

"Factors that affect sea level rise:

Global warming leads to sea level rise as the higher temp causes the oceans to expand

Melting of glaciers eg Alps, Himalays cause sea levels to rise.

That may or may not have helped, I find that usually the more practise questions I do the more I condense information automatically.

Id be happy to share revision notes/extra resources I come across. We use the Hodder education textbook too.. The Pearson education text book is the one with the lizard thing in the front, right?

By the way, do you have a specification? If you dint, I'd suggest going onto the exam board's site and looking for the specification there, make a checklist and tick them off as you go along. And also, work in your maths skills if they aren't great. Stuff like Spearmans rank and standard deviation. Most importantly, practise your case studies, learn them well and you should be good!

Like I've said.. My teacher this year isn't that great and I'm super busy with History work.. I'm still trying to get my notes to a decent enough level but I'd be happy to share stuff that I've already completed!
sorry to troll a ghost thread, but do you guys have any coasts resources you could share with me? happy to swap for diverse places!!
Reply 4
Original post by eviebrizzle
sorry to troll a ghost thread, but do you guys have any coasts resources you could share with me? happy to swap for diverse places!!

a TON.

anything in particular you need resources for?
Original post by ayshh
a TON.

anything in particular you need resources for?

generally that whole topic as im crap at coasts (humanities person lol) but especially all the processes features sediment cells etc as i have case studies
Thanks so much!
Hi, came on here thinking to start something like this and turns out it's already been created. I'm doing coasts, tectonics, globalisation and regeneration, if anyone needs help with any of those. For OP, have you bought the student guide by Cameron Dunn? It's set out like the official textbook and might not go into great detail but it neatly sums up everything you need point by point according to the syllabus and includes little pieces of info not in the textbook, I've been making notes of that and then am planning to add extra info by cross-referencing it with another online revision guide my school gave to me. I can see if I can share the online guide with you if you like?
would you be able to share coast resources with me? :smile: as it would be extremely helpful because I am not very good at coasts
Original post by AAK151099
Hi, came on here thinking to start something like this and turns out it's already been created. I'm doing coasts, tectonics, globalisation and regeneration, if anyone needs help with any of those. For OP, have you bought the student guide by Cameron Dunn? It's set out like the official textbook and might not go into great detail but it neatly sums up everything you need point by point according to the syllabus and includes little pieces of info not in the textbook, I've been making notes of that and then am planning to add extra info by cross-referencing it with another online revision guide my school gave to me. I can see if I can share the online guide with you if you like?

hi can you link the set books please, for year 1 and year 2

im not sure which text books are the right ones to use for edexcel.
hi guys Im currently in my second year of this course but all of my teachers have changed and it turns out my school messed up big time on the content of the spec. if anyone has any notes from AS, tectonics, coasts,globalisation, and regenerating places that would be super helpful. I'm having a major crisis right now!!! lol. i don't have many notes to share in return but i can help out the best i can. thanks again!
Reply 10
hi there i really need help in regenerating places and some practice exam questions
Does anyone know where the new Geography Edexcel specification is, I could only find the (2014 and 2016) also they are not detailed.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending