The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because any country should rise above such bigotry and not stoop so low.
Reply 2
Because Western countries are more developed (democratically speaking) and more liberal-minded, therefore we have a responsibility to be the bigger person and abe tolerant and welcoming to those of religions and ethnicities different from our own.

The countries you named are not known for their open-mindedness, and that's putting it mildly. We need to rise above petty behaviour such as bans on reliigous groups. It is our responsibility to set an example to those nations who have not opened their hearts and minds to differing beliefs and cultures.

To stoop to their level would achieve nothing except to fester the fear and bigotry that has already infested our society, and it would begin a mutual distrust and hatred between countries, which at times such as these we simply cannot afford.
KSA has lifted the ban on Israeli Jews.
Reply 4
Original post by lmao109
lmao islam is the definition of bigotry

As is Christianity. And Judaism!

But both Christians (now increasingly atheists/nones) and Jews (also with a significant atheist population) have on the whole embraced secularism and modernity.

Muslims are doing the same and need time to catch up and they won't get there if we completely shut them off, including integration in Western societies. Granted, the integration needs more work but the solution is not a ban. Such an effort, even for the most self-interested nationalist, should be recognised as beneficial for all.
Original post by juoa76
Here a list of all the Muslim countries that ban Israeli Jews:

Syria

Iran

Iraq

Yemen

Libya

Algeria

Bangladesh

Brunei

Kuwait

Lebanon

Malaysia

Oman

Pakistan

Sudan

Saudi Arabia

United Arab Emirates

Yet when Western countries attempt to ban Muslims it is frowned upon

Because "Islam is peaceful".
Original post by meganxs
Because Western countries are more developed (democratically speaking) and more liberal-minded, therefore we have a responsibility to be the bigger person and abe tolerant and welcoming to those of religions and ethnicities different from our own.

The countries you named are not known for their open-mindedness, and that's putting it mildly. We need to rise above petty behaviour such as bans on reliigous groups. It is our responsibility to set an example to those nations who have not opened their hearts and minds to differing beliefs and cultures.

To stoop to their level would achieve nothing except to fester the fear and bigotry that has already infested our society, and it would begin a mutual distrust and hatred between countries, which at times such as these we simply cannot afford.

Absolutely. and whilst we're playing the bigger person, why dont we ban the burqa, oh, and while we're at it, lets ban muslims from multiple countries from entering the USA. only for a while though.
Reply 7
Original post by juoa76

Syria

Iran

Iraq

Yemen

Libya

Algeria

Bangladesh

Brunei

Kuwait

Lebanon

Malaysia

Oman

Pakistan

Sudan

Saudi Arabia

United Arab Emirates

lol let me stop you right there, because america isn't a Christian country. America is also arguably the most diverse country in the world. So this question was just so stupid in the nicest way
Reply 8
Original post by I.sarkar
Absolutely. and whilst we're playing the bigger person, why dont we ban the burqa, oh, and while we're at it, lets ban muslims from multiple countries from entering the USA. only for a while though.

I'm not entirely sure what side you're arguing...
Original post by juoa76

Syria

Iran

Iraq

Yemen

Libya

Algeria

Bangladesh

Brunei

Kuwait

Lebanon

Malaysia

Oman

Pakistan

Sudan

Saudi Arabia

United Arab Emirates

They don't ban Israeli Jews. They simply don't recognise Israel as a valid country, nor an Israeli passport as a valid travel document, as the country has been formed in an illegitimate manner, according to them.

If I just declared the land around my house to be an independent country and tried to travel anywhere using a passport of my new "country", I would be refused entry as well.

It's got nothing to do with one's religion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by meganxs
I'm not entirely sure what side you're arguing...

thats OK. i mean i am proposing actions that have already taken place. if i were you i would know either)
Reply 11
Muslims didn't annex a part of your country, did they? It's a diplomatic conflict.
Original post by juoa76

Syria

Iran

Iraq

Yemen

Libya

Algeria

Bangladesh

Brunei

Kuwait

Lebanon

Malaysia

Oman

Pakistan

Sudan

Saudi Arabia

United Arab Emirates

A few things here:

- None of these countries, as far as I am aware, explicitly ban Israeli Jews, but rather they refuse entry to Israeli passport holders.
- The countries I've bolded in your list are countries Israelis are also banned from visiting by Israeli law anyway.
- And finally, and most significantly, why are you basing your standard for what is acceptable on what Iran and Saudi Arabia do?
Reply 13
Because Muslim countries banned jews not Christians
simple as that :u:
Reply 14
This is kind of a baseless comparison because even if these countries did ban Jews, we would have to at least try not to stoop to their level.

I'm actually against mass immigration, but a blanket ban on Muslims won't solve anything. Restricting immigration to educated migrants who will bring significant value to the economy (not just unskilled labour) and could reasonably be seen integrating into Western society would be a good idea in my opinion. Also, reducing the flow of immigration would make integration a lot easier and more gradual. A blanket ban is just not necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by juoa76

Syria

Iran

Iraq

Yemen

Libya

Algeria

Bangladesh

Brunei

Kuwait

Lebanon

Malaysia

Oman

Pakistan

Sudan

Saudi Arabia

United Arab Emirates

Just because Eastern countries do it, does not mean that Western countries should receive a moral free pass for replicating said actions. Should we ban women from driving too? I mean, the Middle East do it!
Reply 16
Christian countries lol? Ermm no, the western countries are not Christian countries, it's diverse. The Middle east has issues and your solution to that problem is "If Muslims can do all these horrible things then we as Christians can do same". Go home, son. You're drunk.
Let's not forget not every Muslim would endorse the banning of Jews.
Original post by Zeus007
Christian countries lol? Ermm no, the western countries are not Christian countries, it's diverse. The Middle east has issues and your solution to that problem is "If Muslims can do all these horrible things then we as Christians can do same". Go home, son. You're drunk.

Yes, the United Kingdom is officially secular and therefore cannot really be considered a Christian country.
As others have pointed out, they ban Israelis, not Jews.

To help you understand the point, that includes Israeli Arabs and Israeli Christians.

Latest

Trending

Trending