The Student Room Group

Who'd you support if May started a war with Spain over Gibraltar?

While I think it's good that Gibraltar remains part of the UK if there was ever a war between Britain and Spain I'd suppout Spain because I don't like the way this country is going towards Trumpism and right wing nationalism.

In such a conflict, rebels in England and Wales could support the Spanish in the hope that Spain wins the war and removes May and the tories from power ending this dark period in Britains history. I'm also quite confident that Scotland would be on our side and back the Spanish.

Secondly I have nothing at all against Spain, Spanish people or any other EU nation that it's seems Terresa Trump (May) is determined to make trouble with.

How a post Terresa Trump Britain would be adminsietd is questionable, but anything s got to better than what we have now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This type of reaction is exactly why the politicians referenced the Falklands (to ramp up nationalistic spirit).

Spain will not attack Gibraltor and the UK will sign no deal that involves that.
Original post by Ambitious1999
While I think it's good that Gibraltar remains part of the UK if there was ever a war between Britain and Spain I'd suppout Spain because I don't like the way this country is going towards Trumpism and right wing nationalism.

In such a conflict, rebels in England and Wales could support the Spanish in the hope that Spain wins the war and removes May and the tories from power ending this dark period in Britains history. I'm also quite confident that Scotland would be on our side and back the Spanish.

Secondly I have nothing at all against Spain, Spanish people or any other EU nation that it's seems Terresa Trump (May) is determined to make trouble with.

How a post Terresa Trump Britain would be adminsietd is questionable, but anything s got to better than what we have now.

please leave this country then if you think we should be punished for not wanting to be ruled by foreign powers and openly admit you would take the other side if there was a war you do not belong here.
Reply 3

Reply 4
Original post by Wōden
Leave this country at once and renounce your citizenship, you treasonous wretch.

Oh shut up you nationalist degenerate.
Original post by Luke7456
please leave this country then if you think we should be punished for not wanting to be ruled by foreign powers and openly admit you would take the other side if there was a war you do not belong here.

But why should we support a war against Spain? The Spanish are good people, and I will not support any war against them, there are millions of Brits that like Spain and the Spanish people and have interests, relationships in Spain who will not support any kind of attack on Spain, neither can I see any British catholic supporting a war against Spain. This would be a step too far and is more likely to result in a civil and even sectarian war here in Britain.
Reply 6
Gibraltar should go back to spain, it is a reminder of our dark imperialist past constituting of authoritarianism and genocide. The brits in Gibraltar are nothing more than opportunistic fools and tax dodging idiots who need to realise they cant get the best of everything.
Do you really think that two NATO countries would attack each other? Think again.
But why should we support a war against Spain? The Spanish are good people, and I will not support any war against them, there are millions of Brits that like Spain and the Spanish people and have interests, relationships in Spain who will not support any kind of attack on Spain, neither can I see any British catholic supporting a war against Spain. This would be a step too far and is more likely to result in a civil and even sectarian war here in Britain.

I think it is a bit silly a war will never occur but if Spain attempt to steal our territory we are not the ones starting the war they are. I seriously doubt it will come to this though, I mean you do understand that is risking a world war no one wants that Spain will likely not have the balls to do it, and Theresa probably would not retaliate if they did.

However in the highly unlikely scenario did this did happen we would be in the right and it disgusts me that your loyalties are turned against us.
I'd support Hartlepool United.

Reason?

I've always supported Hartlepool and a war ain't gonna change things ...
Reply 10
Original post by kenny.god
Oh shut up you nationalist degenerate.

What's wrong with being nationalist?
It's a ridiculous question. Whilst Spain may want Gibraltar, the people of Gibraltar want to remain British. Spain will not hesitate to make life more difficult for Gibraltarians, but that's as far as it will go.
Reply 12

Spain taking Gibraltar is more of a nationalistic move than the U.K. holding onto it... how can we be heading towards trumpism when we want to sign FREE trade deals around the world? Kind of the opposite to trumpism.

Theresa didn't start any trouble, the EU is the one provoking us. We've still kept a positive attitude towards the EU whilst they try and be bitter with us.

You're so sucked into media rhetorics you're prepared to betray your country and the people of Gibraltar. Take a look at the bigger picture, I don't see what Britain is doing wrong by wanting to choose her own path, if that's nationalism but Spain forcing sovereignty on people who reject it isn't, I dont know what to believe anymore
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
What's wrong with being nationalist?

Nothing. Just don't bring your degenerate irrationality here.
Reply 14
Let gibby go, Spain can have them.
Why on earth would the UK start a war with Spain?

If Spain attacked and invaded Gibraltar, Spain would cause a global financial crisis let alone an EU meltdown.

Spain is doing the same thing Sturgeon is doing, using Brexit as a political opportunity to exert pressure on the UK to hand over power.

This may be in the Spanish interests since it has long coveted Gibraltar, but if it tried to veto the EU brexit negotiations, all parties in the EU (including Spain) and the UK would lose.

By threatening to do so, Spain is placing her own national interests above that of the EU or any other country within the EU.

The Spanish position is in nobody's best interest.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wienerwald
Do you really think that two NATO countries would attack each other? Think again.

Britain could leave NATO, for several reasons: 1) Trump dislikes the organisation and could offer an alternative organisation for Britain and the US. , 2) most NATO members are EU countries and May dislikes the EU. 3) May could choose closer realtioship with Russia to put distance between the UK and EU that would also mean pulling out of NATO.
Nobody is going to war, stop being so ridiculous.

This whole story is the result of one man's idiotic words, a failed candidate for PM who should know better than to spout this kind of nonsense.
It's our moronic ruling class throwing their dicks around. Nothing will happen.

If for some reason it did happen there is no way I am going to fight Spain. I'm not an idiot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Spain taking Gibraltar is more of a nationalistic move than the U.K. holding onto it... how can we heading towards trumpism when we want to sign FREE trade deals around the world? Kind of the opposite to trumpism.

Theresa didn't start any trouble, the EU is the one provoking us. We've still kept a positive attitude towards the EU whilst they try and be bitter with us.

You're so sucked into media rhetorics you're prepared to betray your country and the people of Gibraltar. Take a look at the bigger picture, I don't see what Britain is doing wrong by wanting to choose her own path, if that's nationalism but Spain forcing sovereignty on people who reject it isn't, I dont know what to believe anymore

Nonetheless if there was a war between Britain and Spain, I think we would loose the war. Millions of Brits would oppose the war as would all British catholics, many of our service personnel would desert.

When Spain gets the upper hand this time it won't be just an Armada of Spanish Navy ships heading up the English Channel, if will be nuclear submarines, F16s, B52 bombers, B2 stealth bombers, Apaches, barrel bombs the lot, and we won't have the Dutch on our side this time seen as May has upset just about every country in Europe.

And that would seriously ruin a morning watching 'Bargain Hunt ' when the news flash comes on.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending