The Student Room Group

Gap Year 2018

Hi all, I will be taking a gap year next year and I was just wondering if anyone else taking a gap year would want to come backpacking in Australia around February 2018 with me? I'm planning to work from June until then to save!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I am planning to take a gap year February 2018 too! I'm going to do a month in Thailand island hopping then off to Australia. Send me a message we can chat :-D
Reply 2
Original post by KJSwale
Hi! I am planning to take a gap year February 2018 too! I'm going to do a month in Thailand island hopping then off to Australia. Send me a message we can chat :-D

Hiya i'm interested in traveling around Thailand/South East Asia in 2018 too!! are u going alone or with mates? I am so determined to go but I've never backpacked alone before and being a young female I'm not sure how it'll go down well 😔
Reply 3
I have travelled alone before to africa (was a group trip once there) so really only physically "travelled" alone haha.. although south east Asia is not one I fancy on my own at all!! My friend is meant to be coming for a month then I will be going on to Australia. What are your plans?
Reply 4
Original post by KJSwale
I have travelled alone before to africa (was a group trip once there) so really only physically "travelled" alone haha.. although south east Asia is not one I fancy on my own at all!! My friend is meant to be coming for a month then I will be going on to Australia. What are your plans?

That sounds amazing!! I would love to go around South East Asia next year, I backpacked with my family in 2015 and I am desperate to go back ever since, so I may go around there. But obviously I need to think about safety, and the hope that I meet some people along the way haha.
Reply 5
I backpacked America and Africa. I do love a spot of travelling. How long you thinking for asia? I'm looking at a month but some Thailand, viatnam and Bali
Reply 6
Original post by KJSwale

That sounds fab! I hadn't considered Thailand before but I know it's beautiful so I might also try to spend some time there! Maybe if there is a group of us doing the same thing we could organize to travel together, traveling alone is quite daunting isn't it😬 How long do you plan to stay in Australia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Well last time I spent just over 1 month and visited 4 countries, which allowed me a week in each one which I was able to extend/ cut down my stay in an area if I wanted longer time or wanted to move on early. This time I may do a month again but less countries so I can explore a bit more of the countries. I'm thinking Thailand, Cambodia and maybe Bali. Haven't really considered Australia but looking more into it it sounds great.
Reply 8
You absolutely should have a look. I got hooked at the fact there's over 10,000 beaches haha I'll be doing the gap year. Ultimate travel website has a lot of info and do an intro week in Australia. I have loads of info if you want any as I have been looking for a while
Reply 9
I was looking into some gap year organizations such as gap 369 or extreme gap, these don't seem too expensive and they give you a good first week or so to settle in and help you get set up with bank cards etc or a job if you plan on an extended stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KJSwale
You absolutely should have a look. I got hooked at the fact there's over 10,000 beaches haha I'll be doing the gap year. Ultimate travel website has a lot of info and do an intro week in Australia. I have loads of info if you want any as I have been looking for a while

The beaches look amazing don't they! I've never surfed but I think I would be willing to give it a try in Australia haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Imogen1208
That sounds fab! I hadn't considered Thailand before but I know it's beautiful so I might also try to spend some time there! Maybe if there is a group of us doing the same thing we could organize to travel together, traveling alone is quite daunting isn't it😬 How long do you plan to stay in Australia?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. I know someone else thinking of Australia who have said they don't fancy Thailand so can always meet in Oz instead! I think it will be a good way to get to know people and I don't think Thailand is a great place to do the "alone" thing. I'm always up for meeting new people. I'm planning the full year in oz and hopefully a second year. How about you?

With travel before can always discuss what others want to do. The more people there are the more options that are available for everyone as people tend to always want to do similar things
Reply 12
I was looking into some gap year organizations such as gap 369 or extreme gap, these don't seem too expensive and they give you a good first week or so to settle in and help you get set up with bank cards etc or a job if you plan on an extended stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done the same thing and looked at ultimate travel for week one
Original post by KJSwale
Absolutely. I know someone else thinking of Australia who have said they don't fancy Thailand so can always meet in Oz instead! I think it will be a good way to get to know people and I don't think Thailand is a great place to do the "alone" thing. I'm always up for meeting new people. I'm planning the full year in oz and hopefully a second year. How about you?

With travel before can always discuss what others want to do. The more people there are the more options that are available for everyone as people tend to always want to do similar things

Yes that's a good point Thailand could be quite scary alone haha. Ah I only plan to stay in oz around 1-2 months unless I could get a job with one of these gap organizations I might consider staying up to 6months maybe. But like you say there will be many of us wanting to go at similar times and go to similar places so we could meet so many new people if we share plans up to the time we go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Yes that's a good point Thailand could be quite scary alone haha. Ah I only plan to stay in oz around 1-2 months unless I could get a job with one of these gap organizations I might consider staying up to 6months maybe. But like you say there will be many of us wanting to go at similar times and go to similar places so we could meet so many new people if we share plans up to the time we go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. Well I don't think you'll struggle finding work really, you can apply for any job you want or feel qualified for so those companies only really help you finding one and adapting your CV. You can start applying for roles from home. I'm only thinking a year as you get the visa for 12 months so I'm hoping to see it out until its end
Original post by KJSwale
Absolutely. Well I don't think you'll struggle finding work really, you can apply for any job you want or feel qualified for so those companies only really help you finding one and adapting your CV. You can start applying for roles from home. I'm only thinking a year as you get the visa for 12 months so I'm hoping to see it out until its end

Yes it's definitely best to make the most of the 12 months if you have the time, I would if I could but I'm hoping to get into medical school during the year! And I might have a look into applying for roles from home then, at least then I could be going knowing that I have something lined up which would be good. Do you know if there is a minimum amount of money that you have to have in the bank? I think I read somewhere that it's AUD5000?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Oh well as long as you have a plan and at least you can say you've done it!.. yeah it's 5000 AUD. although I've yet to read that someone has actually been challenged to prove it, I think it's relaxed if you have your return flight booked
Original post by KJSwale
Oh well as long as you have a plan and at least you can say you've done it!.. yeah it's 5000 AUD. although I've yet to read that someone has actually been challenged to prove it, I think it's relaxed if you have your return flight booked

Definitely! I'm determined to go haha but at least we have time to plan and sort things before 2018! And I guess it makes sense for them to ask for such a figure, you never know what you might have to splash out on last minute in an emergency or something, I feel quite excited for this gap year thinking about it, just need to get the money together😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Definitely! I'm determined to go haha but at least we have time to plan and sort things before 2018! And I guess it makes sense for them to ask for such a figure, you never know what you might have to splash out on last minute in an emergency or something, I feel quite excited for this gap year thinking about it, just need to get the money together😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we have plenty of time to make plans then change them over and over haha guarantee once you get there you won't want to leave haha! I think it's so they know you aren't going to go there then want things like benefits or claim of the state. Need some funds to tide you over until you find employment and pay for somewhere to love. Only reasonable. As I say though that's the going rate but I haven't seen anyone yet say they were asked to actually prove it. I'm really excited. Will be round before we know it :-D
Hey, I was planning on having a gap year then as well and was heading of to Australia and I would love to come, haven't been bag packing in a while so yeah well up for it.

Quick Reply

Latest