The Student Room Group

How do you structure English literature essay AQA?

How do you guys structure your essays for English literature GCSE? Like what do you say in the introduction and how many points do you make and what do you say in your conclusion?

If you have any tips please feel free to share them

I suck at english literature
I'm usually pretty bad but I wrote a lit lit essay the other day.

Introduction:
Rephrase the question. State what you will conclude from the essay.

Paragraph:
A point which contributes to your overall conclusion.
A EMBEDDED QUOTE (it sits naturally and reads in a flow) which will help to prove your point
Analysis of quote, analyses the structure of it, the intentions of it and what each word presents etc.
Explain how this links back to the point of this paragraph and how this links to the question

Repeat the paragraph format as many time as possible try around 2 pages

Conclusion:
Rephrase the question again
Say how your essay overall show show the writer presents the thing. YOUR PERSPECTIVE

Extra tips:
Make clever little metaphors with your analysis
Make a controversial point
What text are you focusing on? Not sure if the syllabus changed but when I did it they loved a bit of Mice of Men or To Kill a Mockingbird. I can't even remember if that's English literature.

Just make sure all in all you answer the question. Do not go on rants about aspects that do not matter, and try and use the points you make to reinforce your overall answer to the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by clever metaphors and a controversial point please?
Original post by evab12345
I'm usually pretty bad but I wrote a lit lit essay the other day.

Introduction:
Rephrase the question. State what you will conclude from the essay.

Paragraph:
A point which contributes to your overall conclusion.
A EMBEDDED QUOTE (it sits naturally and reads in a flow) which will help to prove your point
Analysis of quote, analyses the structure of it, the intentions of it and what each word presents etc.
Explain how this links back to the point of this paragraph and how this links to the question

Repeat the paragraph format as many time as possible try around 2 pages

Conclusion:
Rephrase the question again
Say how your essay overall show show the writer presents the thing. YOUR PERSPECTIVE

Extra tips:
Make clever little metaphors with your analysis
Make a controversial point
Reply 4
Original post by Idku
How do you guys structure your essays for English literature GCSE? Like what do you say in the introduction and how many points do you make and what do you say in your conclusion?

If you have any tips please feel free to share them

I suck at english literature

My structure is:
Intro: outlining my overall argument, and what the writer intentions where. Don't repeat the question, pick an angle to focus on
P1: I analyses the extract (if given) mostly focusing on language. I look for patterns that I can link to elsewhere in the book. Then I link back to my line of argument and writers intentions
P2: I focus on structure, I look at how the character or theme develops across the whole book and why. If the extract is there I will look at sentence structures and punctuation, and see if I can compare it with other scenes in the book
P3: I talk about form. How and why the writer has structure the text. Normally in this paragraph I link to context about the author and time period. Then I link back to the writers intentions and my overall line of argument.
Conclusion: I state the most effective way the writer has conveyed the theme or character. Link back to my line of argument and done!
Hope this was helpful :smile:
Original post by GoldenShade
What do you mean by clever metaphors and a controversial point please?

Hiya, this thread is from two years ago, so I doubt you’ll get a response! :biggrin:
Although this thread is very old I would still like to share what structure we use In our school.

Perhaps this may help you in A01 (conceptualised ideas)

Intro: 3 sentences
Initially the writer argues that/On the surface, it is evident that...
However, the writer actually presents the idea that...
Ultimately, the writer signifies/highlights....

P1: PETAL-
Point, Evidence, Technique, Analysis, Link
P: Initially... (rephrase 1st point)
E:This is evident when (embed the quotation)
T: Here, the writer uses (device) in (zoom in quote)
A: to highlight/ imply.... This connotes....
L: Rephrase Point

P2: Similar to P1
P: However,

P3: Similar to P1 and 2
P: Ultimately.

Conclusion: to showcase change within the novel/extract/play

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending