The Student Room Group

Not enough UCAS points for graduate schemes - should/can I retake?

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect place to post.

So in brief, I didn't do particularly well during my A-level's, but did well during my undergraduate degree, and then completed a postgraduate diploma and masters in a Russel Group University and did well in them. Many of the jobs I want to apply for require a UCAS point threshold, which I don't meet. I was thinking an easy solution would be to re-sit my A levels, which I now think I can achieve much better grades in.

I have heard that re-sitting A-levels won't translate into UCAS points (that seems bizarre) because they seem to work for University applications.

In sum, I'm wondering if it is possible to pay a college, re-sit my A levels, and then overcome this hurdle of a minimum UCAS point requirement.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRhello199
Hi All,

So in brief, I didn't do particularly well during my A-level's, but did well during my undergraduate degree, and then completed a postgraduate diploma and masters in a Russel Group University and did well in them. Many of the jobs I want to apply for require a UCAS point threshold, which I don't meet. I was thinking an easy solution would be to re-sit my A levels, which I now think I can achieve much better grades in.

I have heard that re-sitting A-levels won't translate into UCAS points (that seems bizarre) because they seem to work for University applications.

In sum, I'm wondering if it is possible to pay a college, re-sit my A levels, and then overcome this hurdle of a minimum UCAS point requirement.

Thanks!

Some firms/companies will still only look at your first sitting results (and some will have annoying application forms with exact dates of when you achieved the grade - i.e. it would look suspect to a recruiter) but I mean it could be a possibility.. It's just that the time sink in redoing A-levels at this stage seems a bit unnecessary.

Have you actually attempted applying anywhere? From my experience, even with low grades - if you have other strong aspects of your CV you can still get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In an ideal world, a degree at a good RG university should take precedence over UCAS points, OR there should be an allowance to re-take or complete new A-levels in order to meet the requirements.

Alas the system is flawed....

If I remember correctly, you were the individual that created a thread regarding disability allowance ?

If I were you, I would try and contact the select companies you wish to apply to and communicate the fact that you have a life-inhibiting disability. They may allow for rare exceptions to those that struggle with debilitating mental conditions.

Either way, I wish you luck sir.
Original post by TSRbye199
In an ideal world, a degree at a good RG university should take precedence over UCAS points, OR there should be an allowance to re-take or complete new A-levels in order to meet the requirements.

Alas the system is flawed....

If I remember correctly, you were the individual that created a thread regarding disability allowance ?

If I were you, I would try and contact the select companies you wish to apply to and communicate the fact that you have a life-inhibiting disability. They may allow for rare exceptions to those that struggle with debilitating mental conditions.

Either way, I wish you luck sir.

nevermind, didn't read the usernames properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All,

Thanks!

Just check with the companies you intend to apply for. If it makes a difference just get on with retaking them.. Imo that is faster than constantly being knocked back because of it. Even if some will only look at first sitting others will just look at the points.
.........!

Broadly speaking, this wont work. Employers use UCAS points not as a discriminator of absolute academic ability, but as a sign of a continual academic progression. Therefore what is important to them is not only the total number of points, but that they were scored aged 18, and that then there is a strong undergraduate degree. So retaking A levels simply doesn't help provide this evidence of academic progression.

However, it is very largely a presumption that they automatically filter out all applications with insufficient UCAS grades. Mostly applications are read by a human and other things can compensate. So make the strongest application you can and see what happens. But retaking A levels won't help.
Original post by threeportdrift

However, it is very largely a presumption that they automatically filter out all applications with insufficient UCAS grades.

It's not really. Depending on which sector you want to enter, a minimum UCAS score is a prerequisite with a tick box on the application asking if you meet the minimum. If you don't, you can't proceed. Not always, but it's not rare in say, professional services.
So may big organisations don't require UCAS points. PwC, EY, civil service, banks etc.
Original post by J-SP
Well how come less than a third of employers have that requirement (AGR stat)?

Yes, professional services is one that still relies more so on UCAS points, namely where they are seen as an important gauge on whether someone will pass professional examinations.

Still hasn't stop PwC dropping them for a fair number of their programmes, Deloitte using contextualised recruitment, E&Y having no minimum criteria and the same for Grant Thornton. And that's probably the best part of over 2500 graduate vacancies alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Irrelivenant on the scheme of things. You can't give us a list of top recruiters that most likely have the lowest acceptance rate - these 4 firms are among the toughest to get in to and firms most graduates are unlikely to get a sniff at - most of the smaller firms in professional services still do indeed look for UCAS points. And you're a fool if you think those with strong A levels aren't considered above all-else-equal candidates in those firms too.

Personally, I can't remember one firm I eventually applied to asking for UCAS points (even if I did see loads of firms asking for them elsewhere). That said, my point was merely that contrary to the advice that a lack of UCAS points won't filter you out of the application process, sometimes it does.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pmc:producer
Irrelivenant on the scheme of things. You can't give us a list of top recruiters that most likely have the lowest acceptance rate - these 4 firms are among the toughest to get in to and firms most graduates are unlikely to get a sniff at - most of the smaller firms in professional services still do indeed look for UCAS points. And you're a fool if you think those with strong A levels aren't considered above all-else-equal candidates in those firms too.

Personally, I can't remember one firm I eventually applied to asking for UCAS points (even if I did see loads of firms asking for them elsewhere). That said, my point was merely that contrary to the advice that a lack of UCAS points won't filter you out of the application process, sometimes it does.

It's actually much easier to get into large firms such as PwC. Mid-tier firms tend to have stricter requirements. Eventhough the application process is more rigorous, there's a better chance of getting accepted.
Total nonsense. If we take the firm and one applicant, correct. If we consider the number of applicants and grads placed in work holistically, then it's a different story.

The point stands: UCAS points can automatically filter you out. And poor A-levels all-things-equal will get you binned. Worrying that the interviewer here continues to argue that UCAS points don't matter - in saying that, this is the same guy that told us STAR technique wasn't to be used :lol:

And they're easier to get in to for certain minority groups - sure. But on the whole, statistics dictate it's easier because they have more positions. But look at the types they take (I.e. PwC forced to remove UCAS requirement due to 1 in 3 being privately educated) and tell me it's easier for Joe blogs to get a job at PwC that any other number of professional services/accountancy firms (who have a minimum requirement more often than not)
Original post by J-SP
You are twisting my words.

I have never said STAR shouldn't be used nor that UCAS points don't matter - its never as black and white as that. STAR should only be used for competency based questions, and UCAS points only definitely matter when there is a minimum eligibility requirement. For those organisations who still look at academics, then it depends on the weighting they place on it compared to other evidence on an application form. From my experience that weighting is exceptionally low compared to other factors (work experience, undergrad results, career motivation, accuracy). In a situation like his where the person in question has not only great undergrad but also PG qualifications, their A-levels become even less significant.

Well won't go in to the STAR thing again as it loses you credibility and leaves me baffled. In any case; the point in very, very simple: some firms will filter you out automatically based on UCAS points. In addition to that, some firms (Jaguar, NPower, Centrica, etc) will also take your UCAS points in to account at graduate scheme level if they have two equally suitable candidates (equal meaning the work experience, under grad results career motivation etc are the same, if not at least negligible). To suggest otherwise is wrong, and to continue going round in circles about other things is pointless.
Original post by J-SP
You are twisting my words.

I have never said STAR shouldn't be used nor that UCAS points don't matter - its never as black and white as that. STAR should only be used for competency based questions, and UCAS points only definitely matter when there is a minimum eligibility requirement. For those organisations who still look at academics, then it depends on the weighting they place on it compared to other evidence on an application form. From my experience that weighting is exceptionally low compared to other factors (work experience, undergrad results, career motivation, accuracy). In a situation like his where the person in question has not only great undergrad but also PG qualifications, their A-levels become even less significant.

This has always been my understanding of the position too.
Original post by Reality Check
This has always been my understanding of the position too.

Everyday's a school day :wink:
So your position is that some companies do not filter out based on UCAS points? Further, it is that all things equal, UCAS points bear no influence in graduate recruitment with some firms?

Just so we're clear, is this what you're saying? If it is, wow. If it isn't, we're in agreement.
(edited 7 years ago)
So your position is that some companies do not filter out based on UCAS points? Further, it is that all things equal, UCAS points bear no influence in graduate recruitment with some firms?

Just so we're clear, is this what you're saying? If it is, wow. If it isn't, we're in agreement.

Have you got your negatives doubled up or what?

Absolutely, categorically 'some companies do not filter out based on UCAS points'. Indeed, relatively few companies filter out on UCAS points.

Absolutely, categorically 'all things being equal, UCAS points bear no influence in graduate recruitment in some firms'. There are many more relevant factors to use to discriminate the hypothetical 'equal candidates' than UCAS points.

I've been closely involved in graduate recruitment for the last 15 years. I've never met a company that filtered on UCAS points automatically, without a human being reading the application and able to take other factors into consideration (overseas education, health issues, mitigating factors etc).
Well won't go in to the STAR thing again as it loses you credibility and leaves me baffled. In any case; the point in very, very simple: some firms will filter you out automatically based on UCAS points. In addition to that, some firms (Jaguar, NPower, Centrica, etc) will also take your UCAS points in to account at graduate scheme level if they have two equally suitable candidates (equal meaning the work experience, under grad results career motivation etc are the same, if not at least negligible). To suggest otherwise is wrong, and to continue going round in circles about other things is pointless.

Reminds me of the same ceteris paribus argument sixth form kids use in university ranking threads​..

J-SP has been recruiting across several orgs for several years dude. You're literally just about to start a grad scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Reminds me of the same ceteris paribus argument sixth form kids use in university ranking threads​..

J-SP has been recruiting across several orgs for several years dude. You're literally just about to start a grad scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what? The says nothing about my history :lol: he spends more time on here thay recruiting.
Original post by threeportdrift
Have you got your negatives doubled up or what?

Absolutely, categorically 'some companies do not filter out based on UCAS points'. Indeed, relatively few companies filter out on UCAS points.

Absolutely, categorically 'all things being equal, UCAS points bear no influence in graduate recruitment in some firms'. There are many more relevant factors to use to discriminate the hypothetical 'equal candidates' than UCAS points.

I've been closely involved in graduate recruitment for the last 15 years. I've never met a company that filtered on UCAS points automatically, without a human being reading the application and able to take other factors into consideration (overseas education, health issues, mitigating factors etc).

So no company you've every came across requires a minimum number of UCAS points? And that's after 15 years of recruitment? LOL
Reply 19
Original post by Princepieman
nevermind, didn't read the usernames properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest