The Student Room Group

STRESSING over which Uni to firm!!!!!! PLEASE HELP

I've applied for BSc Geography and have already chosen my Insurance choice (Royal Holloway) but can't decide on my firm!!!

It's between Southampton (AAB) and Bristol (AAB)

I've done a lot of research and I know that academically Bristol is the better choice and it has a nicer city.
However, I am an extremely shy person and on the applicant day I didn't feel comfortable there. It was big and felt too prestigious? I tried to imagine myself in the lectures and seminars etc and just felt extremely intimidated.

And at Southampton Uni the course is still great but not as good as Bristol's in terms of trips and the physical side of things, however, apparently they have more research. And I felt so much more comfortable here as it was on campus and felt smaller?
However, the city is a little rough and there isn't as much going on.

I am really torn between these two choices, all my friends say go for Bristol but I don't know if I can take such a huge leap and be happy?

Then again, am I just being super stressed because the deadline is so close?

If anyone can help and offer advice it'd greatly be appreciated!

Despite how good Bristol Uni is, I don't think it'd be right for me? But then again, I don't want to regret the course at Southampton????????????
Original post by MapleMaypole
I've applied for BSc Geography and have already chosen my Insurance choice (Royal Holloway) but can't decide on my firm!!!

It's between Southampton (AAB) and Bristol (AAB)

I've done a lot of research and I know that academically Bristol is the better choice and it has a nicer city.
However, I am an extremely shy person and on the applicant day I didn't feel comfortable there. It was big and felt too prestigious? I tried to imagine myself in the lectures and seminars etc and just felt extremely intimidated.

And at Southampton Uni the course is still great but not as good as Bristol's in terms of trips and the physical side of things, however, apparently they have more research. And I felt so much more comfortable here as it was on campus and felt smaller?
However, the city is a little rough and there isn't as much going on.

I am really torn between these two choices, all my friends say go for Bristol but I don't know if I can take such a huge leap and be happy?

Then again, am I just being super stressed because the deadline is so close?

If anyone can help and offer advice it'd greatly be appreciated!

Despite how good Bristol Uni is, I don't think it'd be right for me? But then again, I don't want to regret the course at Southampton????????????

Hi MapleMaypole :smile:

I'm afraid I can't comment on the universities specifically, as I don't attend either of them and have never visited. However, I had a similar issue when deciding on which university to choose as my firm choice, between Portsmouth, Liverpool and Keele. What I ended up doing, as you have done, was weigh up the pros and cons of each, in terms of the course content, accommodation, local area, distance from home and so on.

In the end I chose Keele, as it was the university I felt I would be most comfortable at, despite prefering the course at Portsmouth, and the higher ranking of Liverpool both as a uni and for my subject. It really depends on what's most important to you - a great course in a uni you don't feel comfortable in, or a good course at a uni that you do feel comfortable at. If I were you, I would choose Southampton, as even though the course may not be as good, being comfortable in your environment could make all the difference to your overall experience.

It is up to you of course, but I hope that helps a bit :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi MapleMaypole :smile:

I'm afraid I can't comment on the universities specifically, as I don't attend either of them and have never visited. However, I had a similar issue when deciding on which university to choose as my firm choice, between Portsmouth, Liverpool and Keele. What I ended up doing, as you have done, was weigh up the pros and cons of each, in terms of the course content, accommodation, local area, distance from home and so on.

In the end I chose Keele, as it was the university I felt I would be most comfortable at, despite prefering the course at Portsmouth, and the higher ranking of Liverpool both as a uni and for my subject. It really depends on what's most important to you - a great course in a uni you don't feel comfortable in, or a good course at a uni that you do feel comfortable at. If I were you, I would choose Southampton, as even though the course may not be as good, being comfortable in your environment could make all the difference to your overall experience.

It is up to you of course, but I hope that helps a bit :smile:

Thank you so much for this!

I was thinking about choosing Southampton now just so I don't have to take such a huge leap and so I can relax and enjoy a Uni which I know is good. But when I was talking to teachers yesterday, they know me quite well and said I should pick Bristol - which I love the course so much but just don't think right now I can take an outgoing option which I find intimidating.

So I guess I either have to gain some confidence and go for it. or stick to my comfort zone (and hope I don't regret not taking Bristol) and then perhaps go to Bristol for postgrad once I've gained confidence and am more independent!

I need another week to make this decision - ahhhhhhhhhh
Thank you so much for this!

I was thinking about choosing Southampton now just so I don't have to take such a huge leap and so I can relax and enjoy a Uni which I know is good. But when I was talking to teachers yesterday, they know me quite well and said I should pick Bristol - which I love the course so much but just don't think right now I can take an outgoing option which I find intimidating.

So I guess I either have to gain some confidence and go for it. or stick to my comfort zone (and hope I don't regret not taking Bristol) and then perhaps go to Bristol for postgrad once I've gained confidence and am more independent!

I need another week to make this decision - ahhhhhhhhhh

You're welcome :h:

It's easier said than done, but I would try not to let the opinions of others influence you too much - only you know what you are comfortable and happy with. If you are already so unsure about Bristol, then it could be that it just isn't right. I felt like that about Liverpool - the course looked quite good, it was highly ranked and my friends and family were encouraging me to go there, but I preferred the environment of Keele, and so that's where I chose to go :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
You're welcome :h:

It's easier said than done, but I would try not to let the opinions of others influence you too much - only you know what you are comfortable and happy with. If you are already so unsure about Bristol, then it could be that it just isn't right. I felt like that about Liverpool - the course looked quite good, it was highly ranked and my friends and family were encouraging me to go there, but I preferred the environment of Keele, and so that's where I chose to go :smile:

That makes a lot of sense and has made things easier in my mind!
I reckon I'll go with the comfortable option and try to lower how great Bristol is in my mind :tongue:

As I can get a good degree at both Uni's, it's just which will be the most enjoyable :smile:
Personally, i wouldn't look too into research for an undergrad, look at satisfaction levels and general subject criteria when deciding, this is what helped me choose my 2 offers: Durham (firm) and Bath (insurance),

However, if you don't feel comfortable there then don't feel like you need to have to be there, but surely if you were intimidated by the prestige of the university surely isn't that some form of positive.

Anyway good luck in your exams and I hope you choose the correct uni for you! :biggrin:
Obviously don't go somewhere that doesn't feel right, but bear in mind you will adjust to the university lifestyle - I doubt you'd still be intimidated a year into your degree.
Original post by RobertTaylorUK
Personally, i wouldn't look too into research for an undergrad, look at satisfaction levels and general subject criteria when deciding, this is what helped me choose my 2 offers: Durham (firm) and Bath (insurance),

However, if you don't feel comfortable there then don't feel like you need to have to be there, but surely if you were intimidated by the prestige of the university surely isn't that some form of positive.

Anyway good luck in your exams and I hope you choose the correct uni for you! :biggrin:

Ok thank you! I shall look into that!
That's one thing putting me off Southampton, I don't know how academic it is? Ratings are good and it is a Russell Group so I think I should stop worrying about that?
I wish I didn't get so nervous all of the time, it'd make deciding much easier.
Bristol is much higher on the Geography league tables than Southampton - Bristol is 6th, Geography is 23rd. This is based off a number of factors - graduate prospects, how 'academic' it is, and student satisfaction for example. This would suggest Bristol is better, but don't take that as fact. Remember ultimately it's your choice and where you think you are best suited. My only advice is don't be intimated by Bristol! If you got an offer, and you're prepared to work hard - you're good enough.
Sorry, Southampton is 23rd I mean
Reply 10
Ok thank you! I shall look into that!
That's one thing putting me off Southampton, I don't know how academic it is? Ratings are good and it is a Russell Group so I think I should stop worrying about that?
I wish I didn't get so nervous all of the time, it'd make deciding much easier.

Your heart is saying Southampton. Your head is saying Bristol.

Heart > head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go for Bristol. Looking back in 5 year's time you'll realise it was the right decision :smile: You're overthinking. It won't take you long to adapt to the new environment.
Bristol isnt actually as scary as many people think. Its a very 'normal' Uni and is very similar to Southampton in terms of who goes there. The Geog dept at Bristol is small, very friendly and the degree gives you enormous choice of units across all aspects of Geography.

If they didnt think you were up to it, they wouldnt have made you an offer. Go for it - if you dont you'll always wonder what might have happened if only you had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUaef5C4gs0
Also worth noting, Southampton has SOES/NOC which has links to the geography department. If you have any interest in oceanographic aspects of geography, SOES has a lot of links to that and opportunities and at the least ADVICE for fieldwork and so on.

You might be able to take some SOES modules as well although idk about the structure of the course. I'm also not actually sure Bristol is "better" than Southampton; I'd suggest they're on par overall, although perhaps not for the specific subject.

Quick Reply

Latest