The Student Room Group

Gcse wjec b geography

Hi what are everyone's predictions for Mondays exam?

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure rivers are going to come up. :frown: RIPPPPPPPPPP
In terms of the key content for theme 1 the key content will probably be urban or rural planning issues/brownfield/greenfield sites or just general housing. As for the case studies, I feel like it's gonna be rural to urban migration (pleeeez) or conflict in the rural areas (pleeeez). There has been a trend where they couple those two case studies every 2 years, so hopefully, this year the trend will continue.

For theme 2 I think it's gonna be coasts/sustainable management if we're lucky and rivers if we're not. Rivers hasn't appeared since 2011 so it's very likely, and coasts since 2013. As for the case studies it's probably gonna be flood of a river because they always do a river case study and it usually alternates yearly by river management and flood of a river -- last year it was river management.
SO YEAH, RIP IF IT'S RIVERS TOMORROW.
Good luck guys. :s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Deliciate
I'm pretty sure rivers are going to come up. :frown: RIPPPPPPPPPP
In terms of the key content for theme 1 the key content will probably be urban or rural planning issues/brownfield/greenfield sites or just general housing. As for the case studies, I feel like it's gonna be rural to migration migration (pleeeez) or conflict in the rural areas (pleeeez). There has been a trend where they couple those two case studies every 2 years, so hopefully, this year the trend will continue.

For theme 2 I think it's gonna be coasts/sustainable management if we're lucky and rivers if we're not. Rivers hasn't appeared since 2011 so it's very likely, and coasts since 2013. As for the case studies it's probably gonna be flood of a river because they always do a river case study and it usually alternates yearly by river management and flood of a river -- last year it was flood of a river.
SO YEAH, RIP IF IT'S RIVERS TOMORROW.
Good luck guys. :s-smilie:

What do u exactly need to know about rivers and coasts as that is the only topic I'm weak on?
Original post by SorabVij
What do u exactly need to know about rivers and coasts as that is the only topic I'm weak on?

Literally learn off everything in the coast and rivers section and you will be fine:
http://www.acegeography.com/wjec-b-and-yr11-revision.html

But if you really don't have time, I'd advice learning what causes flooding/factors that contribute to flooding/how it can be managed and maybe the different river landforms (e.g. meanders, oxbow lakes, deltas...) but I'd advice learning it all tbh. As for coasts, know the basics like longshire drift, swash & backwash but make sure that you know about coastal management, that's really important. With these topics, the 6 markers are usually on management so make sure you remember some sustainable ways of managing flooding and coastal erosion.

Coasts should be ok, did you do it for coursework?
Reply 4
Literally learn off everything in the coast and rivers section and you will be fine:
http://www.acegeography.com/wjec-b-and-yr11-revision.html

But if you really don't have time, I'd advice learning what causes flooding/factors that contribute to flooding/how it can be managed and maybe the different river landforms (e.g. meanders, oxbow lakes, deltas...) but I'd advice learning it all tbh. As for coasts, know the basics like longshire drift, swash & backwash but make sure that you know about coastal management, that's really important. With these topics, the 6 markers are usually on management so make sure you remember some sustainable ways of managing flooding and coastal erosion.

Coasts should be ok, did you do it for coursework?

Cheers for that- no we did retail services for our coursework
Cheers for that- no we did retail services for our coursework

Np. :biggrin: I hope it goes well, inform me on how it goes tomorrow!!~~
How did you find the exam?
Reply 7

Found it quite hard in comparison to Mock exams.How about you?
Found it quite hard in comparison to Mock exams.How about you?

Definitely the most challenging Geography exam I've done :angry:!!! Hopefully I can make up for it in theme 3 and the problem solving paper... AND YAY RURAL TO URBAN MIGRATION CAME UP !!! :h:
Reply 9
Definitely the most challenging Geography exam I've done :angry:!!! Hopefully I can make up for it in theme 3 and the problem solving paper... AND YAY RURAL TO URBAN MIGRATION CAME UP !!! :h:

Considering the grade boundaries last year was 44/66 what are your opinions on the grade boundaries this year?
Would I lose marks if I forgot to tick the case study box
Considering the grade boundaries last year was 44/66 what are your opinions on the grade boundaries this year?

It'll be lower, but usually grade boundaries don't vary too much. I assume around 40 for an A* would be logical but the 2016 paper was really easy. Everyone found that paper difficult so the grade boundaries will be lower for sure.
Reply 12
It'll be lower, but usually grade boundaries don't vary too much. I assume around 40 for an A* would be logical but the 2016 paper was really easy. Everyone found that paper difficult so the grade boundaries will be lower for sure.

It was 44/66 last year for an A* wasn't it?
Original post by Ryancurtis
Would I lose marks if I forgot to tick the case study box

My teacher told me that you shouldn't forget to tick the box because you run the risk of the examiner not awarding you any marks, but let's be real, they will mark it and you wont lose marks for forgetting to tick it!! They just prefer if you were to tick it because it makes it easier to understand. Don't stress about it, what's done is done and the likelihood is that it will be marked normally. :-)

I am beyond annoyed. This was by far the hardest paper ever. To start, the maths questions? Nowhere on the spec is there anything to do with Mathematics, certainly not using S = D/T Not just one maths question, but two. Furthermore, one of the theme two case studies was coastal landforms? That was on last years paper. Although I am aware that WJEC makes it clear that case studies do not follow a specific pattern, repeating the same one back-to-back is just horrible.

Other than that, I found most questions accessible, but not to my full ability. On the sustainable community one, I didn't understand the question as it wasn't too well worded, and I could only write about the transport half. Furthermore, I didn't have time to answer the inland-temperature question and the flooding question due to lack of time. Do the examiners not realise that one hour isn't enough time? I missed 12 marks out altogether due to lack of time!

I myself am a very able geographer and have gotten A*'s (55-60/66) on every mock that we have done and even I found that paper challenging (not trying to be big headed). I feel that I revised coasts, extereme weather, desertificiation etc for no reason. Surely, the grade boundaries will be lower this year, maybe about 40-42. Going in with 50/50 coursework gives me hope that those 12 marks I know I have definitely lost won't stop me from getting an A*.
(edited 6 years ago)
It was 44/66 last year for an A* wasn't it?

I thought it was 46-48, idk, but yes it may have been 44.
Original post by BlueHighlighter
I am beyond annoyed. This was by far the hardest paper ever. To start, the maths questions? Nowhere on the spec is there anything to do with Mathematics, certainly not using S = D/T Not just one maths question, but two. Furthermore, one of the theme two case studies was coastal landforms? That was on last years paper. Although I am aware that WJEC makes it clear that case studies do not follow a specific pattern, repeating the same one back-to-back is just horrible.

Other than that, I found most questions accessible, but not to my full ability. On the sustainable community one, I didn't understand the question as it wasn't too well worded, and I could only write about the transport half. Furthermore, I didn't have time to answer the inland-temperature question and the flooding question due to lack of time. Do the examiners not realise that one hour isn't enough time? I missed 12 marks out altogether due to lack of time!

I myself am a very able geographer and have gotten A*'s (55-60/66) on every mock that we have done and even I found that paper challenging (not trying to be big headed). I feel that I revised coasts, extereme weather, desertificiation etc for no reason. Surely, the grade boundaries will be lower this year, maybe about 40-42. Going in with 50/50 coursework gives me hope that those 12 marks I know I have definitely lost won't stop me from getting an A*.

I literally feel exactly the same. 50/50 coursework, seriously, that's amazing. :O!!!!
But yeah same, I struggled in the same questions as you did. I answered everything, but I feel like I gave very rushed answers and I couldn't agree with you more; the ambiguity of the sustainable 'picture' 6 marker. What on earth...
Most people in my year group didn't even have enough time to finish the last case study, horrible timing. Fortunately I answered all the questions though.

The maths was ok but either way, since when has there ever been maths in a geography paper? I'm not surprised that the paper was tricky in all honestly, seeing as we're the last year to sit A* papers, they have to make it fair for the step up that will be the 9-1 paper. Honestly, I'm more frightened for maths, if they're casually placing some math questions in a geography paper, then god knows what will be in the math paper!!!
That was the hardest paper I have done!! The OS map was so unnecessary, they use the 'minute per mark' rule, but that OS map just added so much more effort. It was so different to past papers, and I also missed 12 marks and couldn't answer to the best of my ability. I really hope the grade boundaries are low.

I really have no idea how I did in that exam, it wasn't too hard but they tried to slip us up on two occasions I recall,one when from the urban migration case study they asked us to only state the push factors and two for the Amazon rainforest case study they only asked us how it benefits people.
Original post by person123abc
That was the hardest paper I have done!! The OS map was so unnecessary, they use the 'minute per mark' rule, but that OS map just added so much more effort. It was so different to past papers, and I also missed 12 marks and couldn't answer to the best of my ability. I really hope the grade boundaries are low.

God that was the worst!!! I had to keep flicking, I couldn't be bothered so I just guessed some to save time, aha. :biggrin: I hated the fact that essentially all of theme 1 was a continuation of that OS map, euuuugh can I just give the six figure grid reference and you can leave me in peace. I AGREE THOUGH, it was such a strange exam, like I was sitting a different exam board wth... they better not try it in theme 3, silly that WJEC can't even spell Germany or Volkswagen, I better get full marks for SPAG!!!!! xD
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending