The Student Room Group

Crash higher physics?

Hi,
I'm wanting to get into veterinary medicine and they require Advanced Biology and chemistry , also either bat 5 physics or higher physics in s6.
How hard is crash higher physics alongside advanced chemistry and advanced biology ?
Would it be best just taking Nat 5 instead of higher
If youre going to crash if I suggest in the summer u buy a N5 textbook and go over some things. Quite a lot of the course builds up on N5 with only a few new things introduced.
I know very clever people who crashed physics and couldn't do it. I'm not saying don't do physics, but be aware you'll find it difficult.
Reply 3
I crashed Physics this year and am finding it fine to be honest. If you're good at maths ODU and most of Electricity is a breeze. Particles and Waves is quite a lot to remember but perfectly doable.
Original post by Fermion.
If youre going to crash if I suggest in the summer u buy a N5 textbook and go over some things. Quite a lot of the course builds up on N5 with only a few new things introduced.

Like special relativity, which is a total mind f*ck to be honest :biggrin:
Original post by ferm4t
I crashed Physics this year and am finding it fine to be honest. If you're good at maths ODU and most of Electricity is a breeze. Particles and Waves is quite a lot to remember but perfectly doable.

Yes, Physics is somewhat maths heavy.
Original post by katielesley7
Hi,
I'm wanting to get into veterinary medicine and they require Advanced Biology and chemistry , also either bat 5 physics or higher physics in s6.
How hard is crash higher physics alongside advanced chemistry and advanced biology ?

Hey there, I'm crashing Physics this year without doing any physics before! Before taking Higher Physics the only extent of my physics knowledge was F=ma and gravity :P
To be honest, crashing physics is definitely doable as long as you put in effort. Also, if you're good at maths, it'll be quite a breeze as long as you understand the concepts + theory, physics is generally just simple arithmetic with complicated numbers and rearranging equations. :smile: Good luck!!
I'm in 5th year and took crash higher physics last year alongside biology and chemistry as I want to do veterinary medicine aswell. If you enjoy the other two sciences you will be perfectly fine, I didn't buy any N5 books or look over the course and i'm sitting the physics exam tomorrow no problem. I would highly recommend it, it's actually a really good course once you get comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi guys, i just signed up to ask about this, because sadly i just bombed my physics exam yesterday and am still in shock. i thought I was ready for it, and the questions were harder - or i was panicking I don't know. What is this about crashing physics? I'm from england so new to highers, and wondering if I could maybe do this as well. Where is it done?thanksilaila
Reply 9
Hi,
I want to do veterinary medicine too and I'm taking advanced chemistry and biology, higher leadership and crashing physics. I'm wondering what N5 stuff would be best to look over so I'm somewhat prepared for higher
Original post by ilaila
Hi guys, i just signed up to ask about this, because sadly i just bombed my physics exam yesterday and am still in shock. i thought I was ready for it, and the questions were harder - or i was panicking I don't know. What is this about crashing physics? I'm from england so new to highers, and wondering if I could maybe do this as well. Where is it done?thanksilaila

'Crash higher' means you do higher without doing the national 5 in that subject first. Hope that clarifies things :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Labrador99
'Crash higher' means you do higher without doing the national 5 in that subject first. Hope that clarifies things :smile:

Yes that does clear it up thankyou!
Original post by katielesley7
Hi,

Nat 5 is pretty easy in my opinion if you make sure you understand the general concept. I'll be doing higher this year. If you managed to get through higher biology and chemistry then n5 physics will be a breeze, it'll also allow you to have a relaxing class to destress from your AH's. I'm doing AH geography this year, first class tomorrow let's see how it goes.

I'm also doing higher maths and philisophy. Depending on my biology results i might drop Biology and get n5 chemistry since 2/5 universities doing neuroscience need chem.
I agree about working through the summer, but I'd recommend going back further than National 5 to give yourself a really solid foundation.

Leckie & Leckie have just published a new "Secondary Physics: S1 to National 4" book, which covers everything from first principles right up to the end of S3. It's really designed for S1/S2 classes, so someone at your level should be able to work right through it, by yourself, in about 3 to 4 weeks - that's something like a chapter a day. I've got a tuition pupil who didn't do Nat5 Physics, but is taking other sciences to Higher, and I've given her this book as summer homework to broaden out her background knowledge - especially topics like electricity, energy, and nuclear physics. (There are matching "S1 to National 4" books for Chemistry and Biology, but I've not seen them yet.)

That leads on to Leckie & Leckie's "National 5 Physics Student Book" or perhaps the Hodder Gibson "National 5 Physics". Again, you're looking at just 3 to 4 weeks to plough right through it, and have a stab at some of the National 5 past papers. You are going to be pushing yourself with this, so might want to bring in a tutor for two or there sessions before going back to school in August, just to cover anything you're not finding entirely straightforward. You want to hit the ground running when you go back.

Having worked to National 5 on your own, you might want to consider the equivalent Higher textbook - either Leckie & Leckie's "CfE Higher Physics Student Book" or Hodder Gibson's "Higher Physics for CfE" - to complement your classroom teaching. Independent study is a really useful skill, so it would be a shame not to use it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending