The Student Room Group

A level resits in 2018

Hi there,

My son is doing his A2s this year (Economics, Maths, English Lit) and hopefully he will get the grades to go to his preferred uni. But if all doesn't go to plan I just wondered what the situation is with resits in 2018 especially in the context of the recent A level reforms. What will be different in June 2018 in terms of resits? Will you still be able to resist individual modules?

Any guidance gratefully appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GP2016
Hi there,

My son is doing his A2s this year (Economics, Maths, English Lit) and hopefully he will get the grades to go to his preferred uni. But if all doesn't go to plan I just wondered what the situation is with resits in 2018 especially in the context of the recent A level reforms. What will be different in June 2018 in terms of resits? Will you still be able to resist individual modules?

Any guidance gratefully appreciated.

What country ? The reforms are different.

If in England, Economics and English Lit are already the new Linear A levels. If he wants to resit he will have to repeat all of the exams.
Maths has not yet reformed and modular unit resits will be available in summer 2018 and 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks, he is sitting exams in England. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers
Do you know about if it is possible to retake biology and psychology A2 again in 2018 if someone first took them in 2017?
Original post by Trafalgarlaw14
Do you know about if it is possible to retake biology and psychology A2 again in 2018 if someone first took them in 2017?

Assuming you took them in England then no, resits for those modular A levels are available this summer but after that they are no longer available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I do biology, psychology and English language (in England) for a level - if I don't pass would it be possible to retake my exams next year (June 2018) I wouldn't mind doing all of the exams but would I have to re-do coursework?
Reply 6
I am also a bit confused, if I have done my geography A2 2017, which had not changed to the new spec yet so I have an official AS grade, could I retake the A2?

EDIT From my understanding now i'm pretty sure I can.:h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Firdepro
I am also a bit confused, if I have done my geography A2 2017, which had not changed to the new spec yet so I have an official AS grade, could I retake the A2?

EDIT From my understanding now i'm pretty sure I can.:h:

If you took the A2 exams then yes you could resit then in summer 2018.
If you have only taken the AS then you won't be allowed to take the A2.

The timeline for legacy resists (old specification resits) is given here.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/timings-for-the-withdrawal-of-legacy-gcses-as-and-a-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i am doing maths AS this year and im wondering if ill be able to retake modules next year in summer 2018 while continuing with A2 next year
I'm doing my A level exams (AS and A2) right now in the UK. I do biology, psychology and English lit which are all linear. Is there any way I can retake these exams in June 2018? I have been looking everywhere but can't find a clear answer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Thatguy187
Hi, i am doing maths AS this year and im wondering if ill be able to retake modules next year in summer 2018 while continuing with A2 next year

Yes you can re-sit any/all of the AS units. Your better attempt at any unit is the one which will count towards your final grade..
I'm doing my A level exams (AS and A2) right now in the UK. I do biology, psychology and English lit which are all linear. Is there any way I can retake these exams in June 2018? I have been looking everywhere but can't find a clear answer.

I'm not sure what you mean by (AS and A2) - A2 does not exist for linear A levels - but I presume you just mean you are taking A level exams. You can take A level exams again next year if you want - you have to re-sit all 3 exams for a subject but can carry forward the NEA element (the assessed practicals).
Original post by Compost
I'm not sure what you mean by (AS and A2) - A2 does not exist for linear A levels - but I presume you just mean you are taking A level exams. You can take A level exams again next year if you want - you have to re-sit all 3 exams for a subject but can carry forward the NEA element (the assessed practicals).

Please tell me how I could retake the exams in 2018, because I really couldn't find anything about being able to retake linear exams. Would I have to pay to do them in an exam center or something like that? I wanted to retake biology next year
(edited 6 years ago)
Please tell me how I could retake the exams in 2018, because I really couldn't find anything about being able to retake linear exams. Would I have to pay to do them in an exam center or something like that? I wanted to retake biology next year

You just find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and pay them to let you sit the exams there. The exam boards charge between £75 and £100 for a linear A level but the centre will add on their own costs for admin and invigilation and these vary wildly. The cheapest place is likely to be your current 6th from if they will have you back.
Reply 14
Im really confused? I do Biology Chemistry and Sociology and im doing the A2 exams now, if i wanted to resit these exams if i dont like my grade (just the A2 exam) can i not do so?Do i have to do the AS exams and then the A2 exams too? so it will take 2 years and the resit will be in 2019 as im resitting the AS exams as well????
Original post by Amn2016
Im really confused? I do Biology Chemistry and Sociology and im doing the A2 exams now, if i wanted to resit these exams if i dont like my grade (just the A2 exam) can i not do so?Do i have to do the AS exams and then the A2 exams too? so it will take 2 years and the resit will be in 2019 as im resitting the AS exams as well????

Which country are you in? If you are in England then you must be taking linear A levels for these 3 subjects and the AS and A levels are separate.
Reply 16
Original post by Compost
Which country are you in? If you are in England then you must be taking linear A levels for these 3 subjects and the AS and A levels are separate.

Im in England, so does that mean to get the A level qualification in Biology, Chemistry and Sociology i can just resit the A2 part of the whole course?So ill be able to resit in 2018 if i need to?
Original post by Amn2016
Im in England, so does that mean to get the A level qualification in Biology, Chemistry and Sociology i can just resit the A2 part of the whole course?So ill be able to resit in 2018 if i need to?

There is no A2 in linear A levels. If you took A2 this year then (it was almost certainly a re-sit and) you were sitting the last re-sit opportunity of the old A levels and you cannot re-sit it again as the specification has ended

If you are taking linear A levels then there is absolutely no requirement to take the AS exams at any time. They do not form part of the A level assessment. If you want to re-sit next year then you just re-sit all of the A level exams.
Reply 18
Original post by Compost
There is no A2 in linear A levels. If you took A2 this year then (it was almost certainly a re-sit and) you were sitting the last re-sit opportunity of the old A levels and you cannot re-sit it again as the specification has ended

If you are taking linear A levels then there is absolutely no requirement to take the AS exams at any time. They do not form part of the A level assessment. If you want to re-sit next year then you just re-sit all of the A level exams.

Thank you i get it now :smile:
If I don't get the correct grades this year for Economics can I retake in summer 2018 or will it have to be summer 18 AND summer 2019? Not sure what is meant by linear and non linear but the exams I took for Economics last year didn't count so I'm being tested on all of the AS and A2 content right now.

Maths is different so the exams I took last year DO count towards the overall A level grade. If i want to retake Maths in summer 2018 is that possible? Or would I have to do some in summer 2019 too?

Hope that makes sense, thanks if you can help

Quick Reply

Latest