The Student Room Group

Predict the Tudor exam paper for tommorow!

Anyone have any ideas on what the essay titles are most likely to be on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm taking the Germany and West germany paper and i'm worried too. any ideas?
Taking Stuarts 1603-1702 tomorrow, any predictions?

Best of luck with the Tudors by the way, I heard it's one of the hardest and one of the harshest marked, so awful! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Cupholder
Taking Stuarts 1603-1702 tomorrow, any predictions?

Best of luck with the Tudors by the way, I heard it's one of the hardest and one of the harshest marked, so awful! :frown:

Now that's encouraging to hear! :frown: The amount of content required is insane, with nearly all the Tudor monarchs quelling rebellions, waging wars, making treaties, or struggling with their economy. It doesn't help that many people have the say name, and many things happen in the same period. 1485 Battle of Bosworth, 1486 birth of Arthur Tudor, 1487 Battle of Stoke, 1489 Treaty of Redon, Medina del Campo and the Yorkshire rebellion! Its just too much to learn and remember all the reasoning and justification behind all of this information..
Reply 4
Original post by stefgreg
I'm taking the Germany and West germany paper and i'm worried too. any ideas?

I have some predictions on the Italy and Fascism exam, but nothing to do with Germany and West Germany! :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Djerun
I have some predictions on the Italy and Fascism exam, but nothing to do with Germany and West Germany! :frown:

i'm taking that aswell! what are you thinking?
Original post by Djerun
Now that's encouraging to hear! :frown: The amount of content required is insane, with nearly all the Tudor monarchs quelling rebellions, waging wars, making treaties, or struggling with their economy. It doesn't help that many people have the say name, and many things happen in the same period. 1485 Battle of Bosworth, 1486 birth of Arthur Tudor, 1487 Battle of Stoke, 1489 Treaty of Redon, Medina del Campo and the Yorkshire rebellion! Its just too much to learn and remember all the reasoning and justification behind all of this information..

Sounds just dreadful!! I get where you're coming from on the amount of content you simply have to just memorise - I've sort of ground to a halt today and am procrastinating a lot (was meant to be my essay practise question day :/). The Stuarts are very similar with the monarch-by-monarch approach, except the later half of the century is all about the establishment of modern government, totally different from the start of the period :frown:

It's very last minute, but an approach I took to learning the content is doing an assessment of each monarch, and dividing it into:
- Finances
- Relationship with Parliament
- Foreign Policy
- Religion

And then deciding which events/factors are long term and which are short term. That's all I've done in the way of revision!
Reply 7
i'm taking that aswell! what are you thinking?

My teacher thinks it would will be a question like "to what extent was (something) successful. I'm going through economy (main economic battles and statistics, e.g Battle for Land, Grain) Also think it could be on foreign relations including germany, specifically Imperialism. Might be interesting for you to look at the Kephalonia massacre, the invasion of Greece, Abyssinia and some others. Think there will be an opportunity to include them in an upcoming exam. Consolidation of power questions have come before, so I'm thinking it won't be about his OVRA and use of fear. Basically, no consolidation of power.
Reply 8
Original post by Djerun
My teacher thinks it would will be a question like "to what extent was (something) successful. I'm going through economy (main economic battles and statistics, e.g Battle for Land, Grain) Also think it could be on foreign relations including germany, specifically Imperialism. Might be interesting for you to look at the Kephalonia massacre, the invasion of Greece, Abyssinia and some others. Think there will be an opportunity to include them in an upcoming exam. Consolidation of power questions have come before, so I'm thinking it won't be about his OVRA and use of fear. Basically, no consolidation of power.

okay i'll look into that thanks! how are you revising? im reading the book and then ive got this myrevision notes book thing that is good.
Reply 9
Sounds just dreadful!! I get where you're coming from on the amount of content you simply have to just memorise - I've sort of ground to a halt today and am procrastinating a lot (was meant to be my essay practise question day :/). The Stuarts are very similar with the monarch-by-monarch approach, except the later half of the century is all about the establishment of modern government, totally different from the start of the period :frown:

It's very last minute, but an approach I took to learning the content is doing an assessment of each monarch, and dividing it into:
- Finances
- Relationship with Parliament
- Foreign Policy
- Religion

And then deciding which events/factors are long term and which are short term. That's all I've done in the way of revision!

So taking upon your advice, I'm thinking I'm going to learn a few statistics on all monarchs so I am not completely lost for factual knowledge. For example, Henry VII implemented enclosure on only 3% of land, increasing royal estate revenue from 25,000 pounds in 1485, to 180,000 by the end of the century. Thankfully, Henry VII didn't seem to care that much about creating religious turmoil for me to shift through and analyse! Just have to go find me some statistics..
Reply 10
okay i'll look into that thanks! how are you revising? im reading the book and then ive got this myrevision notes book thing that is good.

My revision for Italy has halted, as I've been revising for Tudor exam tomorrow. In the holidays I made a load of notecards which I can flick through. I coloured them randomly to make it interesting, and its surprising how much you can remember from them. I got my dad and mum to quiz me and ask me questions on them, with them learning about the subject and asking me their owning enthusiastic queries! While typing this I've have just realized that you said that you used myrevision notes which is great, which basically makes everything I'm talking about irrelevant! I've forgotten the books and delved into the documentaries, while focusing a lot on my notecards!
Original post by Djerun
So taking upon your advice, I'm thinking I'm going to learn a few statistics on all monarchs so I am not completely lost for factual knowledge. For example, Henry VII implemented enclosure on only 3% of land, increasing royal estate revenue from 25,000 pounds in 1485, to 180,000 by the end of the century. Thankfully, Henry VII didn't seem to care that much about creating religious turmoil for me to shift through and analyse! Just have to go find me some statistics..

Sounds very sensible, memorising statistics definitely helps with memorising the facts that are associated with them! Doing that for my China exam next week, which will hopefully go as well as the Stuarts exam will tomorrow :wink:

I have mixed feelings about it being a morning exam, do you tend to cram the morning before or just leave it up to lady luck?
Reply 12
Sounds very sensible, memorising statistics definitely helps with memorising the facts that are associated with them! Doing that for my China exam next week, which will hopefully go as well as the Stuarts exam will tomorrow :wink:

I have mixed feelings about it being a morning exam, do you tend to cram the morning before or just leave it up to lady luck?

If my phone alarm wakes me up, then I'll be cramming tomorrow morning and tonight! My phone decided not to wake me up this morning for my maths exam, so I ended up being 7 minutes late! Problem is there are so many statistics to remember :frown: What I really fear is learning all I know and then failing to demonstrate it in the exam. In mocks though I truly didn't care about revising and somehow managed a C! ;D
Tudors is so damn big and being the first full year, impossible to predict! I could get an A on nice questions or a D (or worse) if something awful comes up. I am thinking they'll have to be broach (religious change, rebellions over a period, foreign policy) as since the subject is soooo wide they cannoy ask too specific questions (I hope). My old teacher predicts these but as I said, it is basically impossible to predict:

-Henry VIII foreign policy
-Cromwell & Wolsey as ministers
-Elizabeth & religion
-Elizabeth and her ministers

Henry VII was prominent in the AS exam (thank God but not thank God at the same time since it didn't count and suggests it might not feature at all let alone in one question tomorrow).

A bit silly really as you learn so much but only answer 3 areas, about 10% of what you learn is really used. :/

Best of luck aha

Original post by Djerun
My revision for Italy has halted, as I've been revising for Tudor exam tomorrow. In the holidays I made a load of notecards which I can flick through. I coloured them randomly to make it interesting, and its surprising how much you can remember from them. I got my dad and mum to quiz me and ask me questions on them, with them learning about the subject and asking me their owning enthusiastic queries! While typing this I've have just realized that you said that you used myrevision notes which is great, which basically makes everything I'm talking about irrelevant! I've forgotten the books and delved into the documentaries, while focusing a lot on my notecards!
Reply 14
Original post by Chichaldo
Tudors is so damn big and being the first full year, impossible to predict! I could get an A on nice questions or a D (or worse) if something awful comes up. I am thinking they'll have to be broach (religious change, rebellions over a period, foreign policy) as since the subject is soooo wide they cannoy ask too specific questions (I hope). My old teacher predicts these but as I said, it is basically impossible to predict:

-Henry VIII foreign policy
-Cromwell & Wolsey as ministers
-Elizabeth & religion
-Elizabeth and her ministers

Henry VII was prominent in the AS exam (thank God but not thank God at the same time since it didn't count and suggests it might not feature at all let alone in one question tomorrow).

A bit silly really as you learn so much but only answer 3 areas, about 10% of what you learn is really used. :/

Best of luck aha

Its so broad! Henry VIII's foreign policy was on and off war, and the amount of treaties and the justifications behind them is so hard to remember, because there's so much of it :frown: There's only 3 major things I know about Elizabeth, her acts of Uniformity, Supremacy and Elizabeth's more conservative protestantism..just so much stuff. I know a bit on Elizabeth's ministers, such as Robert Walsingham and William Cecil, who certified the demise of Mary Queen of Scots. And yeah, one of my biggest fears is learning all this content and then not being able to demonstrate my knowledge of it in the exam! Only my (B) history coursework will buff up the overall grade if this doesn't go so well..
Reply 15
I am so convinced that the 30 mark source question will focus on the Mid-Tudor Crisis, covering the end of Henry VIII's reign and Edward VI's and Mary I's, thus leaving the essay questions to focus on foreign policy, religion and the ministers of Henry VIII and Elizabeth. Perhaps Henry VII's foreign policy will come up.

Good luck to everyone! :smile:
Guys how are you all revising? Are you all using the textbook or your own revision notes?
Reply 17
Original post by emily511
I am so convinced that the 30 mark source question will focus on the Mid-Tudor Crisis, covering the end of Henry VIII's reign and Edward VI's and Mary I's, thus leaving the essay questions to focus on foreign policy, religion and the ministers of Henry VIII and Elizabeth. Perhaps Henry VII's foreign policy will come up.

Good luck to everyone! :smile:

Thank you so much!
Reply 18
Original post by EmilyP2016
Guys how are you all revising? Are you all using the textbook or your own revision notes?

I've abandoned the textbook and just using notecards!
Original post by Djerun
I've abandoned the textbook and just using notecards!

Ah thanks! I'm using my own notes but I just feel like I'm missing out on all the information from the textbook but there's just too much in it! 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending