The Student Room Group

How do you say 'Trump's travel ban' in French?

Looking for a shorter way than 'l'interdiction de Trump contre les voyageurs qui viennent des pays musulmans' thanks
Reply 1
Oui, Oui, Oui! Je ne sais pas! Voulez vous couche avec moi, c'est oi Trumpe
I'm sure people would know what you meant if you called it "l'interdiction de voyager" (in context ofc).
Reply 3
Original post by Sonechka
I'm sure people would know what you meant if you called it "l'interdiction de voyager" (in context ofc).

yeah i guess, just wondered if there's a particular name for it like we call it travel ban, as i can't see anything online
Reply 4
Original post by Ash8991
Oui, Oui, Oui! Je ne sais pas! Voulez vous couche avec moi, c'est oi Trumpe

are you asking trump to go to bed with you :wink:
Reply 5
You're right; it is 'interdiction de voyager'. Are you doing the edexcel exam tomorrow as well? If so, any predictions for the discursive essay?
http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/search?source=auto&query=travel+ban
Original post by liv84
yeah i guess, just wondered if there's a particular name for it like we call it travel ban, as i can't see anything online

Nope, it's not important enough in Francophone discourse to have its own name like that; it's like how the reforms to labour laws in 2016 which were huge news in France became known simply as "le loi travail" but didn't get an equivalent moniker elsewhere. Also, if politicians have put a spin on the name of a bill, the version with the spin won't tend to get translated.
Maybe "le moratoire de trump sur l'immigration"
I.e. Trumps moratorium on immigration
As with so many things in French, the inability to use bare nouns as adjectives leads to some clumsy and verbose constructions. Have a look at this article from Le Figaro for some synonyms - these are fairly current, and I've certainly used some of these constructions when discussing it in France recently.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
As with so many things in French, the inability to use bare nouns as adjectives leads to some clumsy and verbose constructions. Have a look at this article from Le Figaro for some synonyms - these are fairly current, and I've certainly used some of these constructions when discussing it in France recently.

what a lifesaver thanks man
Original post by liv84
what a lifesaver thanks man

You're absolutely welcome :smile: Good luck with it - it's a good, current topic and you can get some really good writing out of it.
Moratoire sounds very good.

Try "Moratoire de Trump sur l'entrée des ressortisants de 7 pays musulmans" for the full gamut.

"Moratoire de Trump sur l'immigration" works in short.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending