The Student Room Group

Edexcel B3 unofficial markscheme 19th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by milesdavis
what do you guys predict the grade boundary to be?

last year it was 47 for an A* as the test was harder im predicting maybe 45 for A* and 41 for an A.
Original post by Aaron jhooty
Restriction enzyme
Ligases enzyme
Sticky ends
Vector
Infection of plant
Incorporation of DNA into plant
I also mentioned crown galls
What did u mention?

I thought you didnt have to write about the enzymes and gene mixing because it already said in the question that the gene was taken out and put into the plasmid which produces a toxin so all i wrote about was that plant leaf discs are infected with it and grow into plants which each contain the toxin making gene and the plasmid acts as a vector when creating the transgenic plants
Did anyone get the sacchromyces cervisiae for the yeast question?
Original post by spikelee3138

yes
Original post by Zaki1039
I thought you didnt have to write about the enzymes and gene mixing because it already said in the question that the gene was taken out and put into the plasmid which produces a toxin so all i wrote about was that plant leaf discs are infected with it and grow into plants which each contain the toxin making gene and the plasmid acts as a vector when creating the transgenic plants

Your right
The last page was a myth because I did not revise enzymes for some idiotic reason. Hoping for low gb most of it was ok tho.
Original post by spikelee3138

I wrote sacchromyces but not cervisiae. Do you think I will still be able to get the mark?
Original post by Yateschloe00
I wrote that there's a 25% of a child with the disease and 50% chance of a boy with the disease. I put both.

I don't think putting both will get you a mark.
Original post by MIKESPIKE10
i'm sure
thanks
Restriction enzyme
Ligases enzyme
Sticky ends
Vector
Infection of plant
Incorporation of DNA into plant
I also mentioned crown galls
What did u mention?

Did you say that you use agrobacterium tumefacien specifically?

Yeah I got the same I didn't write about makin the toxin I wrote How it's put in the plant as a vector and plants can breed and create the same gene as stuff like that

Technically yes ur correct I just wrote it to ensure I didn't miss easy marks, I mentioned all the stuff u said to I.E. infection of plants to incorporate gene into plant and crown gall and how it can be used as a vector, I used agrobacterium tumfacians as an example
Technically yes ur correct I just wrote it to ensure I didn't miss easy marks, I mentioned all the stuff u said to I.E. infection of plants to incorporate gene into plant and crown gall and how it can be used as a vector, I used agrobacterium tumfacians as an example

Would i get credited for also mentioning the toxin gene of bacillus thuringiesis
Reply 113
Original post by jashab14
Everyone in my school got 24 but to be honest, they didn't make it clear as to whether the 0.925% and 0.625% was of the entire 16,000 or out of the two 8,000 groups
agree it was badly worded
Yeah that's right, the primary response bit was mentioning first infection of pathogen in body, and an immune response is formed as lymphocytes divide and antibodies bind to the antigen and destroy the pathogen, then memory lymphocytes are in the blood.
A rapid secondary response is triggered with 2nd infection due to the memory lymphocytes which produce a rapid response of lots of antibodies to destroy the pathogen, most likely before symptoms can be felt. I don't think there was anything else to say to get 6/6?

Thankyou - that's what I put! :smile:
Original post by Pastels123
I wrote sacchromyces but not cervisiae. Do you think I will still be able to get the mark?

Don't see why you wouldn't because tbh how on earth do edexcel expect us to memorise that haha?
Reply 116
Original post by Nafisah1001
It asked for the difference between the two groups, and if you don't half it you're assuming both groups has 16000 people rather than 8000

The question said they were in two equal groups
Original post by Jadeelmazi
Thankyou - that's what I put! :smile:

No problem :smile:
Original post by Nafisah1001
It asked for the difference between the two groups, and if you don't half it you're assuming both groups has 16000 people rather than 8000

Did the question state the group was exactly split into 8000, 8000? If not then you could have any amount in each group , you Gould have 10,000 in one and 6000 in the other
Original post by oliver45456
Would i get credited for also mentioning the toxin gene of bacillus thuringiesis

Potentially, it's technically relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending