The Student Room Group

DSA assessment, I'm ashamed?

Hi everyone, I need to book a DSA assessment, but I'm so ashamed 😩 I was advised by my psychiatrist to make the application for anorexia (which I've been diagnosed with for 6 years). I'm so embarrassed, I don't know what i need help with at uni and I'm fearful that the assessor will judge me.
Has anyone got any good advice?
Thanks for your time :wink:
Original post by Bluequeen98
Hi everyone, I need to book a DSA assessment, but I'm so ashamed 😩 I was advised by my psychiatrist to make the application for anorexia (which I've been diagnosed with for 6 years). I'm so embarrassed, I don't know what i need help with at uni and I'm fearful that the assessor will judge me.
Has anyone got any good advice?
Thanks for your time :wink:

I have had two dsa needs assessments and they were the nicest of people. Think of it as a conversation that something good will come out of rather than seeing it as an interview. The more open you can be with them the more appropriate any help they offer you.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I have had two dsa needs assessments and they were the nicest of people. Think of it as a conversation that something good will come out of rather than seeing it as an interview. The more open you can be with them the more appropriate any help they offer you.

Thankyou so much for your reply, I'm just so fearful that they'll look at me and wonder what's wrong. I don't even know what support would be useful, what sorts of questions are asked?
Thankyou so much for your reply, I'm just so fearful that they'll look at me and wonder what's wrong. I don't even know what support would be useful, what sorts of questions are asked?

It's very casual really but they ll just ask what you think you might struggle with studying at uni? Do you think your anorexia might affect your ability to concentrate for example . They ll ask what's helped you and not helped you in the past.
Reply 4
It's very casual really but they ll just ask what you think you might struggle with studying at uni? Do you think your anorexia might affect your ability to concentrate for example . They ll ask what's helped you and not helped you in the past.

Ah okay, I just feel really awkward talking about it because of the stigma etc, I'm managing at the moment but not 'fully recovered', so I'm guessing counselling and support might be beneficial. Thanks for your help :smile:
Ah okay, I just feel really awkward talking about it because of the stigma etc, I'm managing at the moment but not 'fully recovered', so I'm guessing counselling and support might be beneficial. Thanks for your help :smile:

You could mention that you might benefit from a mental health mentor, dsa can cover some hours with one for you. I d just discovered I was dyslexic on top of being dyspraxic when I had my first needs assessment so I did initial struggle to talk about my extra/new problems but opening up completely got me all the help they could offer so it was worth it and I m sure it ll be worth it for you too.
Reply 6
You could mention that you might benefit from a mental health mentor, dsa can cover some hours with one for you. I d just discovered I was dyslexic on top of being dyspraxic when I had my first needs assessment so I did initial struggle to talk about my extra/new problems but opening up completely got me all the help they could offer so it was worth it and I m sure it ll be worth it for you too.

Yeah that sounds beneficial :smile: what sort of help did you recive? (If you don't mind me asking). Also I have just found out that I have osteoporosis due to my ED, so perhaps I could mention that.
Yeah that sounds beneficial :smile: what sort of help did you recive? (If you don't mind me asking). Also I have just found out that I have osteoporosis due to my ED, so perhaps I could mention that.

Extra exam time, study support tutor, a dictaphone and a bunch of software. Depends if the osteoporosis affects your studying or not, they can't help with pain and the like but if you need a different sort of chair or keyboard they offer things like that.
Reply 8
Extra exam time, study support tutor, a dictaphone and a bunch of software. Depends if the osteoporosis affects your studying or not, they can't help with pain and the like but if you need a different sort of chair or keyboard they offer things like that.

Ah that sounds really useful, it doesn't really affect my studying at all, so I won't mention it :smile: thanks so much for your help, it's put me at ease a bit.xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending