The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge VS Edinburgh

Yo, I have been offered MRes+PhD Electronic Engineering at Cambridge University and PhD Physics at the University of Edinburgh.

Which way should I swing?

Where would I have a more 'Chill Life'?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Did you start your personal statement with 'Yo' too?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
I would go for Cambridge because of the rep etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Exceptional
Did you start your personal statement with 'Yo' too?

Yes for the Cambridge one, how did you know?
Reply 4
Original post by Nuba123
I would go for Cambridge because of the rep etc.

Thank you very much for your informative and detailed reply, can you elaborate little further on 'etc' part.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.
Reply 5
Original post by EthanJP
Thank you very much for your informative and detailed reply, can you elaborate little further on 'etc' part.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Haha, I think it does come down to whether reputation is important to you. Both Edinburgh and Cambridge have good teaching but Cambridge is obviously higher up. I also think Cambridge would help you network more but Edinburgh is an exceptional university. I think you'd have a more chill experience at Edinburgh because you'd still be stimulated but wouldn't be overwhelmed by the crippling amount of workload you have at Cambridge. You'd have more work to do at Cambridge but I think it would be worth it.
Reply 6
Original post by Nuba123
Haha, I think it does come down to whether reputation is important to you. Both Edinburgh and Cambridge have good teaching but Cambridge is obviously higher up. I also think Cambridge would help you network more but Edinburgh is an exceptional university. I think you'd have a more chill experience at Edinburgh because you'd still be stimulated but wouldn't be overwhelmed by the crippling amount of workload you have at Cambridge. You'd have more work to do at Cambridge but I think it would be worth it.

Thank you so much, that was really helpful, have a great day, cheers!
Original post by EthanJP
Yo, I have been offered MRes+PhD Electronic Engineering at Cambridge University and PhD Physics at the University of Edinburgh.

Which way should I swing?

Where would I have a more 'Chill Life'?

Surely the most important consideration here is whether you want to do your PhD in electronics engineering or physics?
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
Surely the most important consideration here is whether you want to do your PhD in electronics engineering or physics?

Fair point. But I have thought about that half a year ago.

The thing is, at Cambridge I would be developing electronic sensors to detect extraterrestrial life, and at Edinburgh I would be hunting for extraterrestrial life using sensors. So there isn't much difference, and I don't have any preference at that point.

My concern is, is the one year extra MRes at Cambridge on international fees (41k) worth it? And are the MRes courses really hard?
Is Cambridge really that better then Edinburgh?
A mid-tier Russell Group versus one of the best universities in the world? No contest.
Reply 10
Original post by Dot.Cotton
A mid-tier Russell Group versus one of the best universities in the world? No contest.

If you say so; but here's the thing, at postgrad level beyond prestige of the university, the things that matter more are the supervisor and the research budget. Which in my case is much better at Edinburgh.
Reply 11
Original post by EthanJP
If you say so; but here's the thing, at postgrad level beyond prestige of the university, the things that matter more are the supervisor and the research budget. Which in my case is much better at Edinburgh.

You've successfully answered your own question. Congrats.

And by the way, a PhD is not compatible with a "chill life" at any university. Unless the PhD is in refrigeration technologies.

B0llocks.
Reply 13

Edinburgh is hardly a mid-tier university, it has a rather excellent reputation.
Reply 14
Original post by worldender
B0llocks.

I take it, you have strong disagreement with the statement you quoted. But I am curious, which part do you disagree with more, Cambridge being a best university in the world or Edinburgh being a mid-tier Russel Group?
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
Reply 15
Original post by Doonesbury
You've successfully answered your own question. Congrats.

And by the way, a PhD is not compatible with a "chill life" at any university. Unless the PhD is in refrigeration technologies.

Thanks. But beyond supervisor and research funding, I want to know, is Edinburgh a good research university in Physics? How is the student life? And how is the city like?

And here's the interesting thing, I would be researching on extraterrestrial existence (life) living on outer most planets, Neptune and Jupiter (together known as Ice Giants). So yeah, even if I can't have it, I'll still be looking for life on cold places, i.e. Chill Life.
Original post by EthanJP
I'll still be looking for life on cold places, i.e. Chill Life.

:lol:
Reply 17
Original post by EthanJP
Thanks. But beyond supervisor and research funding, I want to know, is Edinburgh a good research university in Physics? How is the student life? And how is the city like?

And here's the interesting thing, I would be researching on extraterrestrial existence (life) living on outer most planets, Neptune and Jupiter (together known as Ice Giants). So yeah, even if I can't have it, I'll still be looking for life on cold places, i.e. Chill Life.

Edinburgh is a great city, and much bigger than Cambridge.

You'll have a very good time there - or at Cambridge.

I am not a postgrad physicist so can't comment on their relative technical merits for extraterrestrial research but trust me, you will not be disadvantaged going to either.

Thoughts @threeportdrift ?
Original post by EthanJP

I'd ask both potential Supervisors for their advice. If you are considering an academic career, this is going to be a recurring dilemma. Both Universities know they are selecting from a pool of highly competitive applicants who are pretty much bound to hold multiple offers and they fill have faced similar decisions in their careers. Phone/email and set out your questions, just keep them professional - no Yo and chill comments or they will both pitch the other location as better. You have to make your own decision about the quality of life in each city.

Will you be lab based or out at the observatory? If the observatory, is it the local one eg the Mullard for Cam, or how much time do you get in Hawaii?
Original post by EthanJP
I take it, you have strong disagreement with the statement you quoted. But I am curious, which part do you disagree with more, Cambridge being a best university in the world or Edinburgh being a mid-tier Russel Group?
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

They're both great universities. What I disagree with is the assumption that Cambridge is the better place for you to go, simply because of 'reputation'. The user quoted has an obsession with ranking universities in their little mind.

It sounds, based on your very specific requirements, that Edinburgh is probably the better choice for you. It would be ludicrous to make a decision based on the idea that Cambridge is all-round 'better' for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending