The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get an A in A level French

I'm currently debating whether to do A Level French or maths. I like them both and I think I'm of the same ability in both maths and French. Something that's putting me off a level French is that I'm worried I won't be able to get a high grade and maths seems like a safer option. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated
Original post by unhappystudentx
I'm currently debating whether to do A Level French or maths. I like them both and I think I'm of the same ability in both maths and French. Something that's putting me off a level French is that I'm worried I won't be able to get a high grade and maths seems like a safer option. Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated

Depends on what your other A Level subjects are. Maths is always a safe option though, it's intellectually stimulating and universities love this subject. I don't believe it's too hard to get an A in A Level Maths, so long as you do lots of practice and exploit past papers. I'm not sure about French though, sorry.
Original post by honour
Depends on what your other A Level subjects are. Maths is always a safe option though, it's intellectually stimulating and universities love this subject. I don't believe it's too hard to get an A in A Level Maths, so long as you do lots of practice and exploit past papers. I'm not sure about French though, sorry.

They're biology and chemistry. Thanks :smile:
Original post by unhappystudentx
They're biology and chemistry. Thanks :smile:

Yes! Then definitely go with Maths! Biology + Chemistry + Maths is the perfect combo :h:
Jhst done A Level french and wouldn't recommend - so much ambiguity like no idea whether it's true or false. And even if you learn 10000000000 words they'll still throw in something you probably wouldn't even know in English. The french grade boundaries are also stupid high so it's really hard to get a good grade. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's very hard and you defo need to immerse yourself in the language
Original post by Babyoleg
Jhst done A Level french and wouldn't recommend - so much ambiguity like no idea whether it's true or false. And even if you learn 10000000000 words they'll still throw in something you probably wouldn't even know in English. The french grade boundaries are also stupid high so it's really hard to get a good grade. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's very hard and you defo need to immerse yourself in the language

Thanks for the honest answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest