The Student Room Group

What Should I Pick For My A-Levels?

Right now, I have: Media Studies, Film Studies, Medieval History and English Literature down to study at college, my question is though - are these any good?
In school I've always been good at Physics but not very good at maths, yet Physics is held in high regard at Uni, so should I take that instead of one of my subjects?
I am not sure what I want to study at Uni, but I'm thinking about History.
P.S, if I don't get the right GCSE grade to do English Lit at College? what should I do instead?
I'm very confused so ideas are much appreciated,
Feel free to change as many of my A-Levels as possible apart from History, as I'm trying to make my application as appealing as possible yet actually do-able for my skill.
Hi, it was about 2 years i began thinking about my options. If i can be honest you should take subjects you love, i loved History, Geography and RS so i took those i was almost put in the spot of doing something i would really regret "Doing a subject I hated". There are people in my school who took subjects because thats what their Uni recommended and hated them so much they ended up with U`s in all their Subjects. I came out with 3 C`s in AS and would really recommend doing something you wouldnt mind doing until 1 am most nights (because you will). If Im honest i would recommend taking 3 Subjects at AS and just keeping on with these subjects it works really well because your narrowing your view and you can dedicate more time to that subject which you seem to be putting off. If you love Physics do it dont be disheartened by the intensity of a course you will eventually hate every aspect of that subject but if you have a real passion you will continue with it rather than giving it up. I know people who did give up on their subjects because they hated it and didnt love their subject and were left with Us at the end. There is a GIANT jump from GCSE to A-level its like climbing Snowdonia to climing Everest i would really recommend reading the course detauls this will really help to decide.
Good Luck, Keep at it and good luck for your results I know you will do well
Original post by Joshua99bucks
Hi, it was about 2 years i began thinking about my options. If i can be honest you should take subjects you love, i loved History, Geography and RS so i took those i was almost put in the spot of doing something i would really regret "Doing a subject I hated". There are people in my school who took subjects because thats what their Uni recommended and hated them so much they ended up with U`s in all their Subjects. I came out with 3 C`s in AS and would really recommend doing something you wouldnt mind doing until 1 am most nights (because you will). If Im honest i would recommend taking 3 Subjects at AS and just keeping on with these subjects it works really well because your narrowing your view and you can dedicate more time to that subject which you seem to be putting off. If you love Physics do it dont be disheartened by the intensity of a course you will eventually hate every aspect of that subject but if you have a real passion you will continue with it rather than giving it up. I know people who did give up on their subjects because they hated it and didnt love their subject and were left with Us at the end. There is a GIANT jump from GCSE to A-level its like climbing Snowdonia to climing Everest i would really recommend reading the course detauls this will really help to decide.
Good Luck, Keep at it and good luck for your results I know you will do well

you're literally the only person I've come across who's studied until 1am most nights.

like yeah, for my final exams I pulled an all-nighter or two, but certainly not for the vast majority of the time.

Highly doubt OP will either. Unless he fancies burnout, that is.
Original post by hamzakalinle
you're literally the only person I've come across who's studied until 1am most nights.

like yeah, for my final exams I pulled an all-nighter or two, but certainly not for the vast majority of the time.

I prefer to study in the nights, it doesnt burn out if you literally have lectures that start at 10/11 am why would it you are literally getting 8 hours+. I did most nights as idid have subjects that didnt coordinate with eachother one day i could have 2 peices of work the next i had 4/5 to complete. Doing 3 subjects with 3 subsections+ each year taught by different teachers things will pile up on you.
I prefer to study in the nights, it doesnt burn out if you literally have lectures that start at 10/11 am why would it you are literally getting 8 hours+. I did most nights as idid have subjects that didnt coordinate with eachother one day i could have 2 peices of work the next i had 4/5 to complete. Doing 3 subjects with 3 subsections+ each year taught by different teachers things will pile up on you.

Original post by hamzakalinle

I did 4 AS levels, and didn't need to revise until 1am most nights. (Note I am not one of those TSR geniuses I got average GCSEs (TSR average not real life average) :tongue:)

I did mostly revision/hwk from 4-8 or 6-10 in evenings, then did mostly homeworks in my free periods in school. Although everyone is different so I respect that you can revise until 1am.
Original post by AndrewMP
Right now, I have: Media Studies, Film Studies, Medieval History and English Literature down to study at college, my question is though - are these any good?
In school I've always been good at Physics but not very good at maths, yet Physics is held in high regard at Uni, so should I take that instead of one of my subjects?
P.S, if I don't get the right GCSE grade to do English Lit at College? what should I do instead?
Feel free to change as many of my A-Levels as possible apart from History, as I'm trying to make my application as appealing as possible yet actually do-able for my skill.

Is your History course actually called "Medieval History"? Or is it just "History" with Medieval History in the first year? You need to check that unis will be okay with just Medieval History at A-Level as I usually just read "History required".Tbh it should be fine but check

Think about your choice of Film Studies and Media Studies. Media is coursework heavy as far as I am aware, and I assume Film Studies is the same? Also, some unis may not be happy with those 2 subjects such as LSE. History and English Literature might make up for this though!

Maths at A-Level is very difficult so you shouldn't choose it just for Physics, yeah you should definitely go for what interests you. However, from what I have seen Media is tough and it doesn't get the respect it deserves so make sure its something you really want to study.

In terms of what you could do instead of English have you thought about Government&Politics? A foreign language? Geography? There are so many subjects, think about the ones you find most interesting at GCSE
(edited 6 years ago)

oh right I get what you're saying.

I mean, at college we don't go to lectures, I'm pretty sure most colleges would start at 9, which would give you 7 hours and a bit if you live close to college, or something closer to 6 if you life far away from college.

either way not that big of a deal I suppose
Reply 7
Original post by SuperHuman98
Is your History course actually called "Medieval History"? Or is it just "History" with Medieval History in the first year? You need to check that unis will be okay with just Medieval History at A-Level as I usually just read "History required".Tbh it should be fine but check

Think about your choice of Film Studies and Media Studies. Media is coursework heavy as far as I am aware, and I assume Film Studies is the same? Also, some unis may not be happy with those 2 subjects such as LSE. History and English Literature might make up for this though!

Maths at A-Level is very difficult so you shouldn't choose it just for Physics, yeah you should definitely go for what interests you. However, from what I have seen Media is tough and it doesn't get the respect it deserves so make sure its something you really want to study.

In terms of what you could do instead of English have you thought about Government&Politics? A foreign language? Geography? There are so many subjects, think about the ones you find most interesting at GCSE

Yeah it's called Medieval History, we have the choice of Modern History, Medieval History and Ancient History, each counting as their own A-Levels.
I suppose taking both Medieval History and Ancient History could be a good choice.

I definitely have an interest in Physics and always have but my issue is not being great at maths - I don't know if my interest in the subject is good enough to beat my lack of maths skill

I did Media at GCSE and loved it and also really love films so I thought taking the two would be really good fun but I'm now I'm doubting it's a good idea because in the end, having A-levels such as Physics, Medieval History and English looks a lot more attractive to universities than Medieval History, Media Studies and Film Studies.
Original post by AndrewMP

Media studies and film studies are quite weak subjects. Id get rid of one of them 2 and swap it for something else.

Quick Reply

Latest