The Student Room Group

Chemistry Vs Geography a level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Priyanboss517
Thanks for the advice. And if I could I would pick both howeve my school decided to screw me over by putting both subjects in the same option block so...yeah. I'm equal in grades for both subjects and I love the physical side of geography however for jobs in the future it might not seem so good that's why I'm doubting geography, where as chemistry might benefit more.

If you enjoy the physical side of geography, you may be more inclined to pursue a course in Earth Sciences at uni - in this case usually a more scientific background is better preparation, and usually preferred, to Geography and one/two sciences. Chemistry, Physics, and Maths for example would be an excellent basis for any Geology or Geophysics courses. Biology is also an option for Geology or Oceanography courses, particular if you are interested in palaeobiology within the realms of the former.

If you don't intend to take Maths alongside Chemistry, and ideally a second science, Geography would probably be a more reasonable option. Individual sciences tend to be more work and less valuable than complete portfolios of subjects in this area, both for application and to a lesser degree for preparation for the relevant course(s) at uni.
Reply 21
Original post by artful_lounger
If you enjoy the physical side of geography, you may be more inclined to pursue a course in Earth Sciences at uni - in this case usually a more scientific background is better preparation, and usually preferred, to Geography and one/two sciences. Chemistry, Physics, and Maths for example would be an excellent basis for any Geology or Geophysics courses. Biology is also an option for Geology or Oceanography courses, particular if you are interested in palaeobiology within the realms of the former.

If you don't intend to take Maths alongside Chemistry, and ideally a second science, Geography would probably be a more reasonable option. Individual sciences tend to be more work and less valuable than complete portfolios of subjects in this area, both for application and to a lesser degree for preparation for the relevant course(s) at uni.

I would go into the scientific area of geography however I can't pick chemistry as it's in the same option block and I didn't enjoy physics and my grades fluctuated art gcse and I probably am picking maths which leaves me one a level free and I wouldn't have much options.
I would go into the scientific area of geography however I can't pick chemistry as it's in the same option block and I didn't enjoy physics and my grades fluctuated art gcse and I probably am picking maths which leaves me one a level free and I wouldn't have much options.

Is biology not under consideration?
Reply 23
Is biology not under consideration?

No not really, I biology isn't really my preference.
No not really, I biology isn't really my preference.

Well Chemistry and Maths suffices as a minimal background for Chemistry and some Chemical Engineering courses - it's also suitable for e.g., Economics, Law, Human Sciences etc. However for the latter, Geography would also suffice.

So it somewhat depends on your own interests - if you aren't particularly interested in Chemistry now, it's unlikely you'll want to pursue it as a degree (and the same goes for Chemical Engineering). If you are, then that's naturally a good choice. If not, Geography is probably more aligned to your interests, and suitable in general for most courses.
Reply 25
Yeah I know but if really am not good with physics but they don't mind electronics a level with maths and that's why I'm trying to substitute it with chemistry.

Fundamentally electricity *is* about the physics. If you don't enjoy physics you may not enjoy 3 or 4 years studying EEE.
Reply 26
Well Chemistry and Maths suffices as a minimal background for Chemistry and some Chemical Engineering courses - it's also suitable for e.g., Economics, Law, Human Sciences etc. However for the latter, Geography would also suffice.

So it somewhat depends on your own interests - if you aren't particularly interested in Chemistry now, it's unlikely you'll want to pursue it as a degree (and the same goes for Chemical Engineering). If you are, then that's naturally a good choice. If not, Geography is probably more aligned to your interests, and suitable in general for most courses.

I mean a level chemistry looked interesting but so was geography so they both appeal to me. I just don't know which one will be more beneficial in the future.
Reply 27
Original post by Doonesbury
Fundamentally electricity *is* about the physics. If you don't enjoy physics you may not enjoy 3 or 4 years studying EEE.

True, but I wouldn't say I disliked it, it was just the one I didn't pay much attention in and because my grades fluctuated at gcse so I don't know if it will be the best option.
(edited 6 years ago)
See originally because I loved geography I thought I would go into something about earth sciences however this wouldn't be a long term job and the more viable option to go is something like electrical engineering, although I can not do physics but I don't know if a level chemistry electronics and math would be good enough.

Have you considered geophysics? My physics teacher worked on an oil platform.

Although the oil industry is actually making their employees redundant so...

Electronics is kind of pointless tbh. Areally you struggling with physics and do you enjoy it?

Maths is a great alevel to have and so is chemistry but it does also depend on what courses you're interested in. I suggest keeping your options open because you're still deciding on a career.

I am applying for Electrical and Electronic Engineering this year for 2018 entry and I can say it looks like one of the most exciting courses I've seen. Job prospects are almost infinite as well. Many engineering graduates go into finance which is well paid (sounds boring to me though).
Reply 29
Original post by BTAnonymous
Have you considered geophysics? My physics teacher worked on an oil platform.

Although the oil industry is actually making their employees redundant so...

Electronics is kind of pointless tbh. Areally you struggling with physics and do you enjoy it?

Maths is a great alevel to have and so is chemistry but it does also depend on what courses you're interested in. I suggest keeping your options open because you're still deciding on a career.

I am applying for Electrical and Electronic Engineering this year for 2018 entry and I can say it looks like one of the most exciting courses I've seen. Job prospects are almost infinite as well. Many engineering graduates go into finance which is well paid (sounds boring to me though).

That's my whole point into going into electrical engineering as the jobs are good and the finance is good as well as the course are interesting.I mean for physics in gcse I got: unit 1-c unit 2-b unit 3-still waiting but I'm feeling a and coursework a. I love the space parts of physics but I could pick it as a 4th option however it might be pointless wasting a month or so of work and then dropping it. However I did struggle with some calculations so I'm not sure if I should take it hence why I'm thinking of taking electronics a level and I did it at gcse and really enjoyed it. If I may ask, what a levels did you take?
That's my whole point into going into electrical engineering as the jobs are good and the finance is good as well as the course are interesting.I mean for physics in gcse I got: unit 1-c unit 2-b unit 3-still waiting but I'm feeling a and coursework a. I love the space parts of physics but I could pick it as a 4th option however it might be pointless wasting a month or so of work and then dropping it. However I did struggle with some calculations so I'm not sure if I should take it hence why I'm thinking of taking electronics a level and I did it at gcse and really enjoyed it. If I may ask, what a levels did you take?

I going into year 13 so I'm working on my UCAS now. I study chemistry, maths and physjcs. Definitely take maths and Electronics then. Just keep in mind however that calculations in this degree discipline are considered the most difficult out of all the engineering disciplines.So chemistry is also quite maths based. You can do well in it without having much of an interest in chemistry but it's just boring. Maths and physics opens your options a lot more than maths and electronics tbh. What are you thinking right now?
Reply 31
I going into year 13 so I'm working on my UCAS now. I study chemistry, maths and physjcs. Definitely take maths and Electronics then. Just keep in mind however that calculations in this degree discipline are considered the most difficult out of all the engineering disciplines.So chemistry is also quite maths based. You can do well in it without having much of an interest in chemistry but it's just boring. Maths and physics opens your options a lot more than maths and electronics tbh. What are you thinking right now?

Really good choices as well as really hard. Currently I'm looking to do maths,electronics and chemistry. I mean I was going to pick geography, and still deciding, because I enjoyed the science part of it howeve in terms of future jobs it might not be so sustainable compared to something like electrical engineering and the wide job prospect it has. I could pick physics as a 4th option however I'm contemplating if it will Just be too much and pointless. I just don't know if I will do well at physics at a level as my grades at gcse were fluctuating however gettting better, the reason might be because I didn't pay much attention to it I don't know but yeah I'm a bit stuck.
Well you still do an EE Engineering degree without physics so I think you should do electronics. Maths is also a must.

Chemistry is a nice subject and I think it's the easier than physics.
Reply 33
Well you still do an EE Engineering degree without physics so I think you should do electronics. Maths is also a must.

Chemistry is a nice subject and I think it's the easier than physics.

That's what I was thinking of. I thought chemistry would be kinda a substitute for physics.
That's what I was thinking of. I thought chemistry would be kinda a substitute for physics.

Yeah that's good choice of subjects then. Physics will be too if you struggled a bit at GCSE. I only started with 3 courses so I didn't have any unnecessary pressure.
Hi, I do both!

these two being some of my fav subjects i am ofcourse bias but...

geography is obviously great, if you enjoy it, you will inevitably enjoy the syllabus. yes, its a BIG jump form GCSE's as the questions are longer and harder. but i think overall this has benefited me with essay writing and just thinking about things from a geographical point of view, rather than just sciences and maths which are my other subjects. regarding taking a subject to go with geography, don't worry about that. NEVER take a subject you don't enjoy just because you think it will be helpful.

chemistry is damn hard but also fun. its necessary if you want to do a medical course at university but also is a great subject to learn. not to mention everyone seems wowed when they find out you do chem. namely because its the hardest a level and people look up to that.

from either you will learn new ways of thinking and learning. chemistry has widened my knowledge so so much, so ha geography, but from geography i also learnt new ways to answer questions etc.

finally,

id say do both. haha. but if not, you have to think about which one you would enjoy the most and can see yourself doing for two years. look at some a level text books so you aren't disillusioned.

Hope that helps.
Reply 36
Yeah that's good choice of subjects then. Physics will be too if you struggled a bit at GCSE. I only started with 3 courses so I didn't have any unnecessary pressure.

Yeah I didn't want to waste time and make myself under pressure with 4 subjects for no reason.I will look into physics though and see if it's doable for me. Thanks for all the advice though, really appreciate it. Plus I wanted to decide early so I could try and do some prep during this summer holiday. Did you do any prep in the summer holiday before you went into as level? Should I even do any?
Reply 37
Original post by exams344
Hi, I do both!

these two being some of my fav subjects i am ofcourse bias but...

geography is obviously great, if you enjoy it, you will inevitably enjoy the syllabus. yes, its a BIG jump form GCSE's as the questions are longer and harder. but i think overall this has benefited me with essay writing and just thinking about things from a geographical point of view, rather than just sciences and maths which are my other subjects. regarding taking a subject to go with geography, don't worry about that. NEVER take a subject you don't enjoy just because you think it will be helpful.

chemistry is damn hard but also fun. its necessary if you want to do a medical course at university but also is a great subject to learn. not to mention everyone seems wowed when they find out you do chem. namely because its the hardest a level and people look up to that.

from either you will learn new ways of thinking and learning. chemistry has widened my knowledge so so much, so ha geography, but from geography i also learnt new ways to answer questions etc.

finally,

id say do both. haha. but if not, you have to think about which one you would enjoy the most and can see yourself doing for two years. look at some a level text books so you aren't disillusioned.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the advice, and if I could I would pick both and that would be perfect for me however my school screwed me over by putting both in the same option block so yeah...
Yeah I didn't want to waste time and make myself under pressure with 4 subjects for no reason.I will look into physics though and see if it's doable for me. Thanks for all the advice though, really appreciate it. Plus I wanted to decide early so I could try and do some prep during this summer holiday. Did you do any prep in the summer holiday before you went into as level? Should I even do any?

Hmm I didnt do any. Just relax this summer, you deserve it.

What I say you should do is just look at the physics content and specification and see if it interests you. It looks complicated but it's not as complicated as you think.
Reply 39
Hmm I didnt do any. Just relax this summer, you deserve it.

What I say you should do is just look at the physics content and specification and see if it interests you. It looks complicated but it's not as complicated as you think.

Yeah that's what I was considering doing. I'm just a bit wary of it being overwhelming that's why I want to prepare somehow, even if it's a little so I feel a bit comfortable with the transition into as level.

Quick Reply

Latest