The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find British food generally bland?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasim_96
Absolutely in love with chicken tikka masala mhhhmmmmm :love:

Yass :drool:

Spoiler

Asian food - I'd love to see a guy who's eaten Brit food his whole life taste it...
Original post by TagridS
This is one of my greatest fears to move to Uk. All the people I know that have been there says the food is practically tasteless. And dear god if it's true I will be suffering very much there. I'm from Venezuela (a Latin American country) and we season our food a lot! And I think particularly my family more, because my dad is Jordan and my mom is Cuban, so every day I eat, Arabic food or Cuban food or Venezuelan.. and most of the days a combination hahaha. My friends love to come to my house just to eat my parent's dishes, so food it's a big deal in my family :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You grew up with two great cuisines! If you're moving to London there will be a variety of great food. If not then you can still find good places if you do your research.
(edited 6 years ago)
Cuisines that I absolutely love:
Chinese
Italian
Moroccan
Thai
Jamaican
Greek
Lebanese
Indian
Mexican
Nigerian
Japanese

There are many more, but those sprung to mind.
Original post by Eunomia
You grew up with two great cuisines! If you're moving to London there will be a variety of great food. If not then you can still find good places if you do your research.

I'm applying to unis in Manchester and Nottingham, but thanks for the hope hahaha, If I'm accepted I'll sure look for great places to eat, but for sure I will cook a lot :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by elforjg02
jollof rice looks PENG i wanna try it one day !

Trust me, it's as peng as it looks, you 100% should.

Spoiler

Original post by Eunomia
Compared to the majority of the countries I have been to, it seems like so many people here don't season their food. And by seasoning I don't even mean just spices; herbs and even salt and pepper are underused in many dishes. I went to Fridays and ordered a steak, which turned out to be the driest, most tasteless stake I have ever tasted. I added salt and pepper and covered it with Jack Daniels sauce to make it edible. Fridays was much better when I had it abroad.

A number of other European countries are the same when it comes to food. It's the Mediterranean European countries that have great cuisines.

I love roasts, pie and mash, and other traditional British dishes when they are home-cooked by someone who knows how to season. They're rarely good when eaten at a restaurant though.

pizza made in the UK tastes like flipping tomato sauce on a slyse of bread!
Original post by MrIso
Wallahi once you've had jollof rice British food doesn't cut it.

You knoww
Original post by MrIso
Trust me, it's as peng as it looks, you 100% should.

Spoiler

I'm in ! :biggrin:
Just saying this if anyone makes a mistake, the favourite British dish is FISH and chips NOT CHICKEN and chips
Original post by Eunomia
Compared to the majority of the countries I have been to, it seems like so many people here don't season their food. And by seasoning I don't even mean just spices; herbs and even salt and pepper are underused in many dishes. I went to Fridays and ordered a steak, which turned out to be the driest, most tasteless stake I have ever tasted. I added salt and pepper and covered it with Jack Daniels sauce to make it edible. Fridays was much better when I had it abroad.

A number of other European countries are the same when it comes to food. It's the Mediterranean European countries that have great cuisines.

I love roasts, pie and mash, and other traditional British dishes when they are home-cooked by someone who knows how to season. They're rarely good when eaten at a restaurant though.

I wouldn't say it's bland, but I've definitely gotta be in the mood for it...fish and chips is never my first takeaway option (curry trumps all), but when I'm feeling cod and chips, it's on like donkey kong.

I second what you said about getting a roast or pie at a restaurant - it's a big no from me - no one tops my mum's roast potatoes.
Ngl some of it's peng

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indian food is the bomb.
I don't know too much about the British food, but the British beers are probably the best I've tried so far.
All other beers are tasteless in comparision to traditional British beers.
Asian food all the way
Original post by Eunomia
Cuisines that I absolutely love:
Chinese
Italian
Moroccan
Thai
Jamaican
Greek
Lebanese
Indian
Mexican
Nigerian
Japanese

There are many more, but those sprung to mind.

Just a few then.
Original post by Eunomia

I'm of asian heritage and prefer traditionally British foods to spicy Asian foods. I can't stand spice.
Be ashamed.
Original post by JMR2017
I'm of asian heritage and prefer traditionally British foods to spicy Asian foods. I can't stand spice.

Don't worry dude. Spicy food is a major health problem. It's basically on the same scale as cigarettes/alcohol in the middle east, causes some very bad problems.
Reply 59
It needs some of that desi mirch some mircha masala on that sausage and mash

Quick Reply

Latest