The Student Room Group

Somali in London AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emerald7770
Are you good at speaking somali?? :smile:

lol good question... my sisters speak better than me but my ability to communicate in somali is pretty weak. i can write and understand somali pretty well. i plan to visit my homeland once finishing my studies and actually make plans to live there.

i know not knowing how to speak your mothers tongue is embarrasing but at the end of the day my somalinimo is still there.
Original post by life is a test
lol good question... my sisters speak better than me but my ability to communicate in somali is pretty weak. i can write and understand somali pretty well. i plan to visit my homeland once finishing my studies and actually make plans to live there.

i know not knowing how to speak your mothers tongue is embarrasing but at the end of the day my somalinimo is still there.

well same here man..

Ooh that's cool that you wanna live there.

Are you Muslim?
How do you say juice in Somali? Do you say abitaan or
Original post by karl pilkington
don't you think that a lot of them use the civil war and exaggerate it just so that they can live here?

There is currently no civil war in somalia but depending on the region people have different excuses for wanting to emigrate to the west. lets be real most people want to live in the west (primarily UK,America and Canada) to have a better standard of living. People can come up with any reason for wanting to live in the west but the crux of the matter they want a better life.
Original post by Emerald7770
well same here man..

Ooh that's cool that you wanna live there.

Are you Muslim?
How do you say juice in Somali? Do you say abitaan or

Yes im muslim. Juice? well i guess abitaan sounds about right :biggrin:
There is currently no civil war in somalia but depending on the region people have different excuses for wanting to emigrate to the west. lets be real most people want to live in the west (primarily UK,America and Canada) to have a better standard of living. People can come up with any reason for wanting to live in the west but the crux of the matter they want a better life.

Yes this confirms my suspicious
yes but don't you accept that we can't possibly have a load of people here every time there is a war there are civil wars in Ukraine and Syria as well

i understand where you're coming from bro. The UK is not a care home for people that have had misfortune in there lives. We are living at a time of great change which i believe just doesnt happen by coincidence.

maybe ask representatives of the British government why they are so open for multiculturalism. The British government started this trend of globalism.. remember the British empire?

The saying goes As you sow, so shall you reap...
Original post by MrIso
Is your name Abdi?

nope
Reply 27
nope

Mohammed (or any other spelling?)

Spoiler

yes but don't you accept that we can't possibly have a load of people here every time there is a war there are civil wars in Ukraine and Syria as well

i understand your frustration. People should make plans to improve the countries they came from. I've got no idea why people are becomming defensive of your thoughts. Its human instinct to be against or find it difficult to adapt to change.

rewind back 60 yrs ago many english people would rarely even encounter a spaniard in the street let alone a somali like me. Although multiculturalism looks all fairy and good on the outside deep down it divides a country and generally causes alot of tension and anxiety in the air.
i understand your frustration. People should make plans to improve the countries they came from. I've got no idea why people are becomming defensive of your thoughts. Its human instinct to be against or find it difficult to adapt to change.

rewind back 60 yrs ago many english people would rarely even encounter a spaniard in the street let alone a somali like me. Although multiculturalism looks all fairy and good on the outside deep down it divides a country and generally causes alot of tension and anxiety in the air.

but the english can't have it both ways; not let anyone come into their country but be allowed to migrate into anyone elses. look at brexit for instance. i do hope the EU dont give the UK the benefit of the doubt and give them the consequences to what the UK has wished for so many years.

and yes youre right, people do come to countries such as Canada, the UK and US to increase their standard of living. but what annoys me is this; okay it might be costly to allow people, from third world countries, into this country but surely marginally increasing the standard of living of these migrants actually makes this cost worth it. fine hospital queues may take longer but now you've given someone the opportunity to be seen by a doctor.
Original post by ozilll
but the english can't have it both ways; not let anyone come into their country but be allowed to migrate into anyone elses. look at brexit for instance. i do hope the EU dont give the UK the benefit of the doubt and give them the consequences to what the UK has wished for so many years.

and yes youre right, people do come to countries such as Canada, the UK and US to increase their standard of living. but what annoys me is this; okay it might be costly to allow people, from third world countries, into this country but surely marginally increasing the standard of living of these migrants actually makes this cost worth it. fine hospital queues may take longer but now you've given someone the opportunity to be seen by a doctor.

yh i agree

Quick Reply

Latest