The Student Room Group

Do you think Nike/Adidas is considered 'chavy' for girls?

Scroll to see replies

1- Sorta. Depends on the person wearing it really. She doesn't seem all that chavy to me. Definitely a fashion tracksuit rather than a practical one though.

2- Nope. Shirt with a giant logo on and jeans? That's just your typical teen-early 20's girl really... Not sure why you'd want a giant company logo across your shirt rather than say, your favourite artist (or album), but not chavy at all if you ask me.

3- Definitely not. Seems like a perfectly normal woman in her 20's to me.
Yes

Suits guys not girls to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by Cubone-r
I went to the University of Glasgow.

It's hardly cheap to go around wearing Adidas or Nike when it's like 70 pounds+ for a pair of their shoes alone. I've seen plenty of people walking around the University of Glasgow's campus wearing similar clothing to those in all three pictures and no one bats and eyelid because it's normal. You need to start living in the real world.

Have been to university or are you going to? You sound like you haven't yet. Universities do not have a dress code, you can turn up to lectures in your pyjamas if you want. University is about the merit of your academic quality and so you can write your dissertation in a suit or an Adidas tracksuit and still get a first class degree if your work is good enough.

Of course, grades don't depend on clothes, that's very obvious.

As I said, shoes are not the problem (but 70 isn't that expensive).

I'm sure someone doesn't appreciate, but they don't make it known (to you). It's diminishing and disrespectful towards the institution too. I like living in my niche of the real world and don't want to move into social circles where it's acceptable to dress like girl A.

Perhaps it has to do with Glasgow being so north? I still doubt most people go around campus as person A.

I have. You can turn up in pyjamas and there is always some lazy girl doing it, but it doesn't mean it should be the standard. Since abusum non tollit usum, conversely the fact that you are free to wear what you want doesn't mean you should dress inappropriately (abuse your right).
As someone who lived in Russia, I can confirm that we wear full tracksuits to formal evenings
Reply 44
Original post by hamzakalinle
stfu you beg.

what can one expect from a person who is indecent even in writing?
Original post by CuriousSherlock
I'd be one happy woman if that was the case. :colondollar: Well-dressed men are attractive.

A sharply-tailored navy blue suit, red silk tie with silver tie-pin and brown leather shoes. Send him my way if you spot one in the wild. :fan:

Yes of course, there's a time and a place for dressing well. However, I'm not going to bother to wear a suit to a 9am lecture or just to pop down to the shops in.

Clearly for more formal occasions a smarter dress sense is required. However, you shouldn't judge someone when you see them coming out of the co-op or TESCO in their joggers.
Original post by GCSE 9
I'm a girl (going into sixth form) and I want to know to what extent are those brands considered chavy, do you have to wear a full tracksuit to look chavy or even trainers alone will make you look chavy?

For example, do you consider any of these outfits chavy?

A) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/14/b1/aa/14b1aa43433d4b8b193cdf0b1955a86c--adidas-tracksuit-adidas-sportswear.jpg
B) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/61/fa/27/61fa27e02b62682b2a4b968b07084374--adidas-fashion-tumblr-girls.jpg
C) https://68.media.tumblr.com/95c8b2ec72d2ce0f82df36873e60e3bc/tumblr_nlcg9w2CBs1uqr45io1_500.jpg

Edit: I find all three chavy ( Maybe not C, better than A and B) but the only reason I wear it is because everyone else does, as pathetic as it sounds)

As long as you don't wear the full outfit in only one brand then you are fine.
1st one is literally the chav look. The 2nd and 3rd is good though. (3rd is good without the hat)
Reply 47
Original post by GCSE 9
I'm a girl (going into sixth form) and I want to know to what extent are those brands considered chavy, do you have to wear a full tracksuit to look chavy or even trainers alone will make you look chavy?

For example, do you consider any of these outfits chavy?

A) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/14/b1/aa/14b1aa43433d4b8b193cdf0b1955a86c--adidas-tracksuit-adidas-sportswear.jpg
B) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/61/fa/27/61fa27e02b62682b2a4b968b07084374--adidas-fashion-tumblr-girls.jpg
C) https://68.media.tumblr.com/95c8b2ec72d2ce0f82df36873e60e3bc/tumblr_nlcg9w2CBs1uqr45io1_500.jpg

Edit: I find all three chavy ( Maybe not C, better than A and B) but the only reason I wear it is because everyone else does, as pathetic as it sounds)

nah, it used to be in the noughties but not anymore really. especially since "sports chic" became a thing. adidas especially is pretty cool for girls. not at all chavvy.

A is chavvy. B and C are not chavvy. I think the difference is it's chavvy when you are decked out in an entire outfit of adidas or have no style to it. also trackies are still pretty chavvy unless you are slobbing about at home.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 48
e
Original post by GCSE 9
I agree with you, tbh I haven't even seen girls wear that to sports :smile:

I know, the first part of my post was a reply to the quote, related to the brands, not the picture!
Original post by usualsuspects
what can one expect from a person who is indecent even in writing?

what can one expect from a guy who makes assumptions of what people wear based on tsr?
and then goes on to judge them.
got an A* in English Literature and Language so I'd say my writing is decent at the worst of times, you beg.
The brand of clothes doesn't define a chav, it's how the clothes are worn.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Yes

Suits guys not girls to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's weird, my friend said that guys used to wear adidas and nike (which isn't chavy) then girls followed along and girls wearing adidas/nike is chavy, whereas, a guy wearing adidas/nike isn't considered chavy. :K:
Of course, grades don't depend on clothes, that's very obvious.

As I said, shoes are not the problem (but 70 isn't that expensive).

I'm sure someone doesn't appreciate, but they don't make it known (to you). It's diminishing and disrespectful towards the institution too. I like living in my niche of the real world and don't want to move into social circles where it's acceptable to dress like girl A.

Perhaps it has to do with Glasgow being so north? I still doubt most people go around campus as person A.

I have. You can turn up in pyjamas and there is always some lazy girl doing it, but it doesn't mean it should be the standard. Since abusum non tollit usum, conversely the fact that you are free to wear what you want doesn't mean you should dress inappropriately (abuse your right).

Well if you live in a world where you can afford to throwaway hundreds of pounds on a pair of shoes, I congratulate you.

Enjoy living in your niche world. However, that's not the world the majority of people live in. I think sadly for you, you are cutting yourself off from meeting new people and exploring other opportunities you might miss out on.

I can assure you the geographical location of the University of Glasgow has no bearing on what people wear.

People usually dress as a mixture of the three pictures featured on the thread, not just girl A. People wear what's comfortable. I do not understand how wearing Nike or Adidas or any other brand of that ilk is inappropriate or abusing your right?
(edited 6 years ago)
B and C look perfectly fine. A isn't too bad either.

I don't think they really chavvy or anything
Reply 54
what can one expect from a guy who makes assumptions of what people wear based on tsr?
and then goes on to judge them.
got an A* in English Literature and Language so I'd say my writing is decent at the worst of times, you beg.

Stfu and beg aren't proper words.
stfu you beg.
Reply 55
Well if you live in a world where you can afford to throwaway hundreds of pounds on a pair of shoes, I congratulate you.

Enjoy living in your niche world. However, that's not the world the majority of people live in. I think sadly for you, you are cutting yourself off from meeting new people and exploring other opportunities you might miss out on.

I can assure you the geographical location of the University of Glasgow has no bearing on what people wear.

People usually dress as a mixture of the three pictures featured on the thread, not just girl A. People wear what's comfortable. I do not understand how wearing Nike or Adidas or any other brand of that ilk is inappropriate or abusing your right?

I said that going to lectures as girl A is inappropriate. Wearing nike shoes isn't that bad obviously.
I said that going to lectures as girl A is inappropriate. Wearing nike shoes isn't that bad obviously.

Well it's clearly not inappropriate as you are not going to be asked to leave if you turn up like girl A. I've seen people exactly like girl A sitting in lectures.

You have such a strange perception of university life. You definitely haven't been to university yet. When/if you go, you are going to get a massive slap of reality.
Reply 57
Well it's clearly not inappropriate as you are not going to be asked to leave if you turn up like girl A. I've seen people exactly like girl A sitting in lectures.

You have such a strange perception of university life. You definitely haven't been to university yet. When/if you go, you are going to get a massive slap of reality.

You are free to dress as you want but she abused this freedom.

I've just finished my first year at uni. No big slap of reality really. You are deluded too if you think unis are harsh reality, except the most democratic ones.
Reply 58
A is a definite chav. Don't know about B and C
You are free to dress as you want but she abused this freedom.

I've just finished my first year at uni. No big slap of reality really. You are deluded too if you think unis are harsh reality, except the most democratic ones.

That makes your views even more strange. If you think wearing certain items of clothing is abusing your freedom you are insane. Do you ever listen to yourself?

I meant a harsh reality in the sense of actually interacting with people without being a condescending prick, which I imagine is quite hard for you.

Anyway, you are not worth my time. Have a nice life.

Quick Reply

Latest