The Student Room Group

Phd in neuroscience before FY?

Hello everyone! Would it be a good idea to get a phd after medical school and then start FY?
I usually hear people getting phd after FY2 or during ST, but since I want to become a neurosurgeon I was thinking that maybe getting a phd after medical school and then apply for AFP would increase my chances to an academic clinical fellowship in neurosurgery and would keep me exposed to research during my whole clinical career. Do you think it would be a good choice?
Reply 1
Original post by vashDC
Hello everyone! Would it be a good idea to get a phd after medical school and then start FY?
I usually hear people getting phd after FY2 or during ST, but since I want to become a neurosurgeon I was thinking that maybe getting a phd after medical school and then apply for AFP would increase my chances to an academic clinical fellowship in neurosurgery and would keep me exposed to research during my whole clinical career. Do you think it would be a good choice?

IMO, no. A PhD would be best done either during med school as part of an MB/PhD programme, or in higher specialty training, either as part of an ACF or separately. Taking 3+ years away from clinical work post-graduation pre-FY1 would leave you very very rusty clinically.

What stage are you at currently? It's also worth remembering just how many people change their mind about specialties!
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
IMO, no. A PhD would be best done either during med school as part of an MB/PhD programme, or in higher specialty training, either as part of an ACF or separately. Taking 3+ years away from clinical work post-graduation pre-FY1 would leave you very very rusty clinically.

What stage are you at currently? It's also worth remembering just how many people change their mind about specialties!

I'm starting last year in September so MB/PhD si not an option for me at this point. For what I know neurosurgery is very competitive and a phd would be useful, somebody says it's a must. Since I cannot get a phd during FY, I'll need to take some years from clinical practice sooner or later. Do you agree with this or am I missing something?
I agree that that is not an ideal time.

a) its probably the steepest 'step up' you'll ever experience in terms of responsibility so being away for 3 years beforehand is not ideal.
b) If you do it post-FY2 you can do infrequent locuming alongside your PhD. This will both help your bank balance and hep keep your head in the game clinically.
c) I understand the pay deals can be better if you are already in practice. I do not know much about how this works though.
d) It is possible to get into neurosurgery without a PhD if you've already got publications etc. What you could do is apply to neuro whilst organising a PhD, if you're unsuccessful go for the PhD if you're not get your foot in the neuro door then do a PhD later.

If you are gunning for neurosurgery you are already, presumably, in contact with neurosurgeons trying to get publications etc? Why don't you ask them?
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
I agree that that is not an ideal time.

a) its probably the steepest 'step up' you'll ever experience in terms of responsibility so being away for 3 years beforehand is not ideal.
b) If you do it post-FY2 you can do infrequent locuming alongside your PhD. This will both help your bank balance and hep keep your head in the game clinically.
c) I understand the pay deals can be better if you are already in practice. I do not know much about how this works though.
d) It is possible to get into neurosurgery without a PhD if you've already got publications etc. What you could do is apply to neuro whilst organising a PhD, if you're unsuccessful go for the PhD if you're not get your foot in the neuro door then do a PhD later.

If you are gunning for neurosurgery you are already, presumably, in contact with neurosurgeons trying to get publications etc? Why don't you ask them?

When I asked the answer was "you should get a degree at some point and the earlier is the better", that's why I'm wondering.
I was also thinking to get a MSc in neuroscience after medical school, that would be one year. But I don't know if an entry level degree would give me any advantage
Reply 5
Original post by vashDC
I'm starting last year in September so MB/PhD si not an option for me at this point. For what I know neurosurgery is very competitive and a phd would be useful, somebody says it's a must. Since I cannot get a phd during FY, I'll need to take some years from clinical practice sooner or later. Do you agree with this or am I missing something?

I don't know that a PhD is essential to getting into a neurosurgical training programme, though it is very common for them to have done one at some point in training. I just think that taking that much time out immediately before you have any real experience of working in medicine would leave you weaker overall. Plus if you do it later you can keep up clinical skills and earn some extra cash by locuming, which you can't really as a totally inexperienced F1.
Original post by vashDC
When I asked the answer was "you should get a degree at some point and the earlier is the better", that's why I'm wondering.
I was also thinking to get a MSc in neuroscience after medical school, that would be one year. But I don't know if an entry level degree would give me any advantage

In addition to just repeating the arguments above, all i would add is that i have never heard of anyone taking a PhD, or any time out, between finishing med schools and FY1. I met one person who did a PhD between FY1 and FY2, but it was a random opportunity that just fell in front of him and obviously he lost his FY2 placement and had to reapply for a LAT post afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending