The Student Room Group

How important is the BPS accredition for masters

I am a final-year BA in psychology, English, and journalism (triple main, not triple degree) student from India. I am hoping to do a masters in the UK or Netherlands and have found some good courses, but the problem is that those are not BPS accredited. My undergraduate degree isn't accredited either. People have asked me to take conversion courses that are not sub-field-specific. I am planning to do a PhD in biopsychology from any country other than the UK and get into research, but I want to keep my options open.
My questions are:
1) Is it necessary for me to take BPS-accredited conversion courses or can I take any other courses which are not conversion/BPS-accredited
2) Do I have to do another masters in a specific sub-field (forensic, clinical etc.) after the conversion or can I directly do a PhD
3) Is there any scope for neuropsychology, biopsychology and cognitive neuroscience
(edited 6 months ago)
You don't need accreditation for a PhD, but you'll need EITHER an accredited undergraduate degree or conversion course to do one of the (accredited) courses (either a doctorate or masters) to become a qualified psychologist (e.g. clinical, forensic, educational)

However, for a PhD you may have to demonstrate decent research skills through either your degree or a different masters
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest