The Student Room Group

Which access course and should I retake GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by josh_v
Still waiting to hear which grad jobs you've applied for?
Still waiting for you to tell me which of those didn't care about your GCSEs?

If youre going to accuse someone of 'chatting breeze' then at least have a decent counter argument. Currently yours seems to be 'perhaps in a situation something might happen that you don't even know about'. Thats not a strong counter argument.

Im being relevant and helpful. Ive done an access course. Ive done an undergraduate degree and a masters degree. Ive applied to many graduate schemes and Im about to start one in September.

LOL

You said general employment... And no, you weren't being helpful. You were a sea of negativity. He doesn't need retaken GCSEs to apply to Uni, sigh.
Reply 21
Original post by august11
You said general employment... And no, you weren't being helpful. You were a sea of negativity. He doesn't need retaken GCSEs to apply to Uni, sigh.

I don't know if youre doing it on purpose at this point, or if you genuinely arent taking in anything that has been said.

I didn't say he needed to retake GCSEs to apply to uni. I said that in the long run, employers will ask about GCSEs, and the potential career OP suggested he was interested in is very competitive. Having good GCSEs will be beneficial.

Thats not being negative. Thats having a different opinion to you.

Ive told you what my opinion is based on. Experience. I don't know where youre getting your information because it doesnt appear to be backed up with any real experience or knowledge of the jobs market.
Original post by josh_v
Im going to disagree with what has been said, and suggest retaking GCSEs.

Having just gone through a full round of grad job applications, you will be asked your GCSE results almost every time. Ive experienced a few rejections (possibly) due to not meeting GCSE requirements, even though I exceed all the requirements else where. You might also want to check out this thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4832706

When it comes to the jobs market, its very competitive. Its easy to think 'well I've got a degree so I'm just as qualified as everyone else'. But when it comes down to it, HR teams have to make a decision. Yes you may have a degree, but so does everyone else applying. But they have A-Levels (which are seemingly preferred to Access by employers). And they also have GCSEs. In the early rounds when its all about cutting numbers, you can see why having no GCSEs would be an issue.

I don't know if you've looked in to what it takes to become a clinical psychologist. Its tough. I have a friend currently studying for a doctorate of clinical psychology. She has excellent GCSEs, A-Levels, first class undergrad in psychology, masters in neuroscience, relevant experience in the field and it still took her 3 rounds of applications to get a place on the doctorate. Thats not uncommon. You have a very long road if thats the route you would want to take, and it would be terrible to get so close and then regret not having done some GCSEs and that hold you back..

What cobblers. Nobody cares about GCSEs post-university (least of all PhD admission tutors). Some graduate schemes may use GCSE grades as a way to filter applications, but this is becoming increasingly uncommon. Redoing GCSEs would be a total waste of time.

Original post by josh_v
I said that in the long run, employers will ask about GCSEs

No, they won't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Snufkin
What cobblers. Nobody cares about GCSEs post-university (least of all PhD admission tutors). Some graduate schemes may use GCSE grades as a way to filter applications, but this is becoming increasingly uncommon. Redoing GCSEs would be a total waste of time.

Well there we go then...Nobody cares about GCSEs, except for those companies that care about GCSEs. If OP wants to rule himself out of however many graduate schemes that filter by GCSE, then he shouldn't retake GCSEs.

Im just giving my perspective, having recently gone through the application cycle, in a fairly similar position to what the OP may find themselves in.
Original post by josh_v
Well there we go then...Nobody cares about GCSEs, except for those companies that care about GCSEs. If OP wants to rule himself out of however many graduate schemes that filter by GCSE, then he shouldn't retake GCSEs.

Im just giving my perspective, having recently gone through the application cycle, in a fairly similar position to what the OP may find themselves in.

I don't know of any graduate schemes that use GCSEs to filter applicants, there may be some, but I suspect their number is small.

That's fine, but you don't know that you didn't get the position because of your GCSEs, its all speculation.
Reply 25
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know of any graduate schemes that use GCSEs to filter applicants, there may be some, but I suspect their number is small.

That's fine, but you don't know that you didn't get the position because of your GCSEs, its all speculation.

Youre right, it is speculation. Of all the applications I did, Deloitte seemed like it was the most likely that I got filtered on GCSEs. Ive applied to Deloitte several times, and each time is a very quick rejection.

But say its a human processing each application. I don't think its too much speculation to supposed that an average application is something like a decent set of 9-10 GCSEs, 3 A-Levels, 2.1 degree. Thats what they are seeing all day long. You don't get offered the job in the first round, but you can be rejected. If an application comes along that is missing something that all others are offering, then its fairly easy to reject it.

In some ways Im arguing against my own situation. I have average GCSEs from 2005, certainly worse than almost everyone I knew at uni, and I managed to land a decent job. But I do believe OPs long term prospects are increased with a decent set of GCSE results.
Original post by august11
Do you mean academically or in regard to sorting myself out? I had a dramatic change to Engineering now I've accepted myself lol. Doing that now. Back then I got in for English and Philosophy. If the latter, I'm transgender. I can't function like this anymore, it crushes me whenever I try anything especially the anxiety from it. Rather start when I'm actually happy with myself.

When you do start uni, make sure you avail of every bit of help out there. There should be help at uni for students with disabilities (which includes anxiety/depression). I hope everything works out!

Original post by BenTheBlue
I suppose i'm just getting too caught up with what younger students fresh out of school got at GCSE when it's a different ball game it seems for a mature student - life experience, maturity, giving up a full time job...etc. I did have a thought - I suppose the access course would take precedence over any GCSEs anyway, so doing a psychology GCSE (which is still a level 2 qualification whatever grade i got) would be pointless if I studied psychology modules at level 3 in the access course and got distinction. I'm sure if I perform strongly in the access course itself, it might open up more doors for me anyway - would you agree with that?

I just wanted to say that I know what it feels like to be a mature student. It seems daunting, but life experience and maturity will count for a lot. Psychology should have quite a few mature students as well :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Snufkin
No, they won't.

I did in the region of 30-40 grad job applications. Investment banks, accounting firms, energy companies and insurance. At a minimum, Id estimate that 75% of those applications asked for a full breakdown of my GCSEs. Others required certain GCSEs. Very few made no reference to GCSEs at all.
Hi all, thank you for your comments - they've been extremely useful. I want to preface this by saying the ONLY reason I'd go to university is because I want to take up a particular career. In this instance, I want to become a psychologist. Yes I am aware that clinical psychology is very competitive but I've been assured by doctorate providers that as long as I have the right result in my Degree (2:1 or higher), then I will have a chance. I queried with one of the providers if they would take into account my GCSE results and they said no - Nor did they care as to the route I took to get into university so to them it's irrelevant as to whether I take A Levels or whether I take an Access Course. Some specify I take a science subject at level 3 in those access courses whereas some would accept a social science subject. Personally, I'm leaning towards the health professions access course as this incorporates biology and psychology. These are the fundamental subjects A Level students seem to take and make up the dominant part of the degree (with the exception that there is some statistics - nothing that hard work can't resolve lol). I want to mirror that.

Josh, you mentioned that it would be beneficial for me to retake my GCSEs - Which of these would you suggest? If I was to take this route, do you think it would be just as legitimate if I was to retake most of these as an external candidate after my own independent study? There are two reasons I want to retake some - not all of them (art and geography are irrelevant to me - i'll give them a pass and forget I ever took them). The first reason is because I want to get myself in to as good a university as possible and let's say for arguments sake I can't get into the field of psychology, if prospective employers see I bothered to put work in before the access course to improve my GCSEs, it will position me well where i'm at least competing. It just feels weak my application at the moment and if you can improve it, do it. That's the feeling I get right now. The second reason I want to retake some GCSEs is because I want to prepare well for further study. I'm 25 now and have been out of school and in dead end jobs for the best part of 8 years on and off. Josh, have a look at the subjects I'm looking into below and see what you think:

GCSE Mathematics (Originally a Grade C - Looking to improve to at least a Grade B but I'll give it my all to get an A-A* or equivalent)
GCSE English (Originally a Grade C - Looking to improve to at least a Grade B but i'll give it my all to get an A-A* or equivalent)
GCSE Double Award Science (Originally Grade C in Core Science and Grade D in Additional Science. Will retake either single or double award Science and get top marks)
GCSE English Literature - I'll give that a pass for now. I'm happy with the C in that and it's not really too relevant at GCSE level. Potential for me to study English Lit modules at level 3 on the access course anyway.
GCSE ICT - Short Course Grade C. Meh, I can use a computer and i've got the experience of using IT in my working life so that should be fine.
GCSE Business Studies - Not relevant to psychology and if I wanted to start another business, a GCSE in business will not help at all. You can only learn business by being in business.
GCSE Psychology - Didn't take at school as it wasn't offered, I may take that in preperation and to gain exposure to it. This is something i'd study in my own time.
GCSE Sociology - Linked to some aspects of psychology. But again, not something I studied at school.

So basically what i'm trying to say is, if I retake at least GCSE maths, English and double award science and if I get top marks, that will not only help me apply to better universities in 2 years, but it might help me if I can't get a job in psychology (which I'm sure will happen).

Thoughts?
Reply 29
Heres how I see it. Once you have a degree, you can apply for jobs with the GCSEs you have. I have straight Cs in my GCSEs. There were some grad roles that I couldn't apply for, but not too many. I don't think your current GCSEs would hold you back too much in determining what you could and couldn't apply for. However, HR see applications all day long. From their point of view, where they are looking to cut numbers, an application with a big hole where GCSEs should be is easier to cut.

As such, Id probably look to do some GCSEs where I was confident of getting A*-B. Personally Id go for about 5-6. I think on an application form this looks like a reasonable number rather than looking like you've done the bare minimum to get on to Access course or in to uni. Something like maths, english, double science, psychology, sociology.

However, you could look at it in a completely different way.

I don't know how long those GCSEs would take to study. You could potentially start an Access course in September if you weren't doing GCSEs. Studying GCSEs may put you another year behind. You could go straight to the Access course and then consider using that year further down the line for some other CV boosting work. Studying a course with a year in industry or volunteering or something. There are loads of possibilities.

I dont know what kind of roles are out there for psychology graduates related to psychology itself. I only have the example of one person I know. They didn't go in to a graduate scheme, it was just a direct job hire (which then gave them experience to go on to DClinPsy). However, my experience applying to finance based grad schemes is that almost all of them asked for GCSE results. As such, I think the people telling you that employers don't care about GCSEs are wrong. If they didn't care, they wouldn't ask. Perhaps these people have experience in psychology roles and therefore know better than I do, but they haven't stated that.

Whether you upgrade your GCSEs or not, you'll be able to get on to an Access course, and that should lead to uni. I guess you need to weigh up the time, cost, effort and how much extra impact you think GCSEs will have. Whether you think that time could be better spent elsewhere etc.
Original post by YaliaV
When you do start uni, make sure you avail of every bit of help out there. There should be help at uni for students with disabilities (which includes anxiety/depression). I hope everything works out!

I just wanted to say that I know what it feels like to be a mature student. It seems daunting, but life experience and maturity will count for a lot. Psychology should have quite a few mature students as well :smile:

Second the second bit. My Access course really only had nice reasonable/mature people. No dossers :smile:.

And I will try, but I'm getting hormones and everything this year so that will probably diminish 70% of my anxiety (psychiatrist thinks my anxiety just comes from my gender issues and so do I) haha. Ty for the advice :smile:
Original post by josh_v
Heres how I see it. Once you have a degree, you can apply for jobs with the GCSEs you have. I have straight Cs in my GCSEs. There were some grad roles that I couldn't apply for, but not too many. I don't think your current GCSEs would hold you back too much in determining what you could and couldn't apply for. However, HR see applications all day long. From their point of view, where they are looking to cut numbers, an application with a big hole where GCSEs should be is easier to cut.

As such, Id probably look to do some GCSEs where I was confident of getting A*-B. Personally Id go for about 5-6. I think on an application form this looks like a reasonable number rather than looking like you've done the bare minimum to get on to Access course or in to uni. Something like maths, english, double science, psychology, sociology.

However, you could look at it in a completely different way.

I don't know how long those GCSEs would take to study. You could potentially start an Access course in September if you weren't doing GCSEs. Studying GCSEs may put you another year behind. You could go straight to the Access course and then consider using that year further down the line for some other CV boosting work. Studying a course with a year in industry or volunteering or something. There are loads of possibilities.

I dont know what kind of roles are out there for psychology graduates related to psychology itself. I only have the example of one person I know. They didn't go in to a graduate scheme, it was just a direct job hire (which then gave them experience to go on to DClinPsy). However, my experience applying to finance based grad schemes is that almost all of them asked for GCSE results. As such, I think the people telling you that employers don't care about GCSEs are wrong. If they didn't care, they wouldn't ask. Perhaps these people have experience in psychology roles and therefore know better than I do, but they haven't stated that.

Whether you upgrade your GCSEs or not, you'll be able to get on to an Access course, and that should lead to uni. I guess you need to weigh up the time, cost, effort and how much extra impact you think GCSEs will have. Whether you think that time could be better spent elsewhere etc.

I'm now thinking is it really necessary to do Psychology and Sociology at GCSE level? I was even thinking of retaking History GCSE which I failed, but now I'm actually considering just redoing my Maths, English and Double Award Science. I'm reading in a lot of places that A full handful of GCSEs isn't really necessary unless you want to go into medicine and this is even more so for a mature student. The fact that I'm willing to step away from full time work to retake my Maths, English and Science (which are the only relevant subjects in preparation for a psychology degree) should stand for a lot if I can't get employment in Psychology - It shows I was willing to retake them to get into better universities ... i.e., not take the lazy way out either way. Let's say I come away with A grades in all 3 subjects, coupled with strong performance in an access course, that would be good in my application to better universities.
I'm now thinking is it really necessary to do Psychology and Sociology at GCSE level? I was even thinking of retaking History GCSE which I failed, but now I'm actually considering just redoing my Maths, English and Double Award Science. I'm reading in a lot of places that A full handful of GCSEs isn't really necessary unless you want to go into medicine and this is even more so for a mature student. The fact that I'm willing to step away from full time work to retake my Maths, English and Science (which are the only relevant subjects in preparation for a psychology degree) should stand for a lot if I can't get employment in Psychology - It shows I was willing to retake them to get into better universities ... i.e., not take the lazy way out either way. Let's say I come away with A grades in all 3 subjects, coupled with strong performance in an access course, that would be good in my application to better universities.

Some universities require a B grade in GCSE maths, if you want to go to one of those universities then re-doing maths makes sense. Re-doing English, Science, Psychology and Sociology does not. Anyway, I've already said what I think, I will copy in some other people - hopefully they can convince you.

@Doonesbury do you look at a job applicant's GCSE grades?

@*Interrobang* will re-doing GCSEs help the OP become a clinical psychologist?
Reply 33
Original post by Snufkin
Some universities require a B grade in GCSE maths, if you want to go to one of those universities then re-doing maths makes sense. Re-doing English, Science, Psychology and Sociology does not. Anyway, I've already said what I think, I will copy in some other people - hopefully they can convince you.

For the positions I would be recruiting for I would rarely be that interested in specific GCSEs. Sometimes I'd be interested in Maths, but the rest not so much. We use a simple maths test for graduate applicants anyway. (NB. this is not for psychology careers - it's for marketing...)

To the OP, so long as you meet the minimum stated GCSE requirements that is usually sufficient for universities.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
For the positions I would be recruiting for I would rarely be that interested in specific GCSEs. Sometimes I'd be interested in Maths, but the rest not so much. We use a simple maths test for graduate applicants anyway.

To the OP, so long as you meet the minimum stated GCSE requirements that is usually sufficient for universities.

I would agree with everything you both said in that as long as I meet the entry requirements for certain universities then i'd be accepted (currently I do meet the standard for some universities despite my AWFUL GCSEs lol. I have C's in English and Maths), but I would like to make another suggestion to the both of you. As you're aware, this is a big commitment from me as an adult where I can't accept anything less than a 2:1 for clinical psychologist doctorate purposes. What I would say is that this is surely more likely if I got accepted into a better university? I've looked at Russell Group universities and from the ones I've spoken to so far, they require grade B's in both English and Maths even if I did an access course. OK granted, the science isn't necessary, but i'd only be doing that out of better preparation for my studies and for peace of mind.
Reply 35
I would agree with everything you both said in that as long as I meet the entry requirements for certain universities then i'd be accepted (currently I do meet the standard for some universities despite my AWFUL GCSEs lol. I have C's in English and Maths), but I would like to make another suggestion to the both of you. As you're aware, this is a big commitment from me as an adult where I can't accept anything less than a 2:1 for clinical psychologist doctorate purposes. What I would say is that this is surely more likely if I got accepted into a better university? I've looked at Russell Group universities and from the ones I've spoken to so far, they require grade B's in both English and Maths even if I did an access course. OK granted, the science isn't necessary, but i'd only be doing that out of better preparation for my studies and for peace of mind.

So no, your university barely matters when applying for a postgrad.

For example, I have a dataset of recent Cambridge master's applications and offer rates... Cambridge have an average 40%+ offer rate for MPhil Psychology, with offers received by applicants from non-RGs such as Manchester Met, LJM and Dundee.

There might be a case to resit Maths & English if only for your own piece of mind, but nothing else. You will need to focus on your Access course without being distracted by loads of GCSE resits.
Original post by Doonesbury
So no, your university barely matters when applying for a postgrad.

For example, I have a dataset of recent Cambridge master's applications and offer rates... Cambridge have an average 40%+ offer rate for MPhil Psychology, with offers received by applicants from non-RGs such as Manchester Met, LJM and Dundee.

There might be a case to resit Maths & English if only for your own piece of mind, but nothing else. You will need to focus on your Access course without being distracted by loads of GCSE resits.

If I was to resit maths and English, would this be possible or feasible alongside an access course? Obviously I may need to work 10 hours a week or so too in order to pay basic bills such as phone and to save for a car
Reply 37
If I was to resit maths and English, would this be possible or feasible alongside an access course? Obviously I may need to work 10 hours a week or so too in order to pay basic bills such as phone and to save for a car

I don't think it should be too onerous, but I'm not an expert on this...

Do some sample/past papers and see how you get on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin

I'm not sure - different unis have different criteria and if they have many applicants who meet their minimum criteria, it is possible that they would go as far as GCSE results to differentiate between people (barring exceptional circumstances)
Original post by josh_v

Ive told you what my opinion is based on. Experience. I don't know where youre getting your information because it doesnt appear to be backed up with any real experience or knowledge of the jobs market.

It's funny how you admitted it was based on how you felt about why you were rejected. You said it was based on suspicion, not fact. So yeah, why are you chatting breeze?! Stop trying to win the upper hand with lies (not saying it's a comp lol).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending