The Student Room Group

Are muslims being bullied on this website?

Hey!

I only just joined today but I browsed the forum for a while without an account and noticed a lot of threads hating on Islam and muslims and it seems like there is a general bullying vibe on this website against muslims because of the religion.

I just want to say as a muslim I know our religion has some immoral things in it and its not perfect like some muslims claim but I see a fair amount of hassle being directed towards muslims as people and being given an unnecessarily hard time.

I get how you feel about the religion trust me on that but I am a gay muslim and would hate to be bullied for being gay so I dont think people should bully muslims for being muslim.

Just leave them alone imagine if it was you and your faith / something you care a lot about, you would not like it.

Just be nice to each other xX

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I_R_FURRY!
Hey!

I only just joined today but I browsed the forum for a while without an account and noticed a lot of threads hating on Islam and muslims and it seems like there is a general bullying vibe on this website against muslims because of the religion.

I just want to say as a muslim I know our religion has some immoral things in it and its not perfect like some muslims claim but I see a fair amount of hassle being directed towards muslims as people and being given an unnecessarily hard time.

I get how you feel about the religion trust me on that but I am a gay muslim and would hate to be bullied for being gay so I dont think people should bully muslims for being muslim.

Just leave them alone imagine if it was you and your faith / something you care a lot about, you would not like it.

No lmao, there's loads of muslims on this website.
Yes they are
Nice meme mate top kek
Hey!

People criticise Islam on the debate forum. The fault lies with the Muslims who choose to take that as a personal slight, rather than objective criticism of a religious doctrine.
Well memed.
Hey!

That's a nice post. Thank you for joining and posting it.

I hope it's not the case that muslims are being bullied as any kind of bullying is against the rules and more importantly, just generally unacceptable and unnecessary.

Lack of understanding about muslims and Islam is certainly a big problem in society in generally and we see that carry onto TSR. However, I am really proud of our large Muslim community on here and actually, how everyone gets on so well together most of the time no matter who they are. TSR is overall a great place for equality and good thoughtful discussion. It's never going to be perfect - and who'd want it to be - but it's a hugely positive place for people to talk openly about topics like this.

Anyway, thanks again for posting and please keep sharing your views like this - it sounds like we could use your balanced, well though our views in the debate forums.
No, in general there is no bullying of Muslims, but there is a lot of mockery and criticism of Islam which is perfectly fine as no ideology is above scrutiny.
(edited 6 years ago)

Precisely the reason I don't like Islam, the level of homophobia on this forum is pretty high and it seems to be mainly coming from certain people from a certain faith.

I will not let hate go unchallenged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They aren't bullied, they just get called out when they spout some sexist, homophobic or otherwise bigotted nonsense. The same as the right wingers do.

Also

I only just joined today

Lel
Criticising one's ideology does not constitute bullying.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Why has this been reported? Can whoever did so please explain the report-worthy content?

Perhaps that would be considered misuse of the report function in order to silence people one disagrees with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
Perhaps that would be considered misuse of the report function in order to silence people one disagrees with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, someone's definitely trying to silence me/get me banned.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yep, someone's definitely trying to silence me/get me banned.

I think Captain Jack should look into that, it could certainly constitute bullying.
Na its most probably the other way round mate...
Lmaooo no.

But it's not me, because I don't hold terrible archaic views on culture, society, and morals.

ps tell that to them, who support an ideology that, if left to be the main ideology in a country, leads to people being the opposite of "nice to each other"
Original post by Aceadria

but the way you criticise it matters too.....like the tones and wording you use can be impactful in either the wrong or right way
Reply 18
ikr i even see a few of the main culprits in this thread
Original post by Aceadria

inb4 "but it's part of their livelihood so just leave them alone".

Quick Reply

Latest