The Student Room Group

Right wing Social Justice Warriors

[video="youtube;_1YssaUYeGg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YssaUYeGg[/video]

So the alt-right, the new slef-proclaimed bastions of free speech, are now shutting down free speech.

Leading alt-right figures attempted to disturb and shut down a play because they were offended by its content. They accused those who attended the play of being 'Goebells'.

Mark Cernovich even offered money to people to shut down the performance.

Seems like there is a great deal of 'that offends me so you can't say it' on the political right too.

Scroll to see replies

This kind of toing and throwing between the left and the right is helpful to absolutely no one and seems to be just a way of trying to one-up each other. If our politics have been reduced to trying to find examples of either side being offended / trying to shut down "free speech" then all hope is lost I'm afraid.
Original post by Cubone-r
This kind of toing and throwing between the left and the right is helpful to absolutely no one and seems to be just a way of trying to one-up each other. If our politics have been reduced to trying to find examples of either side being offended / trying to shut down "free speech" then all hope is lost I'm afraid.

I'm on the left but I'm very annoyed by the SJW anti-free speech section of it.
What I find laughable though is how the alt-right go on about the left shutting down free speech and being P.C and getting offended all the time, and then they do EXACTLY the same thing.

There was a play which right wing people found offensive so they tried to shut it down. So much for free speech.
Reply 3
But these are specifically white nationalist cucks
The modern right have been borrowing from SJWs for a while. It seems that a lack of self awareness and a fixation with puerile frog memes go hand in hand.
Original post by Bornblue
So the alt-right, the new slef-proclaimed bastions of free speech, are now shutting down free speech.

They've always done this, in their safe space hiveminds with President Snowflake as their symbol of supposed 'manliness'. It's pretty funny just how soft they really are.
Social injustice warrior
Reply 7
I'm on the left but I'm very annoyed by the SJW anti-free speech section of it.
What I find laughable though is how the alt-right go on about the left shutting down free speech and being P.C and getting offended all the time, and then they do EXACTLY the same thing.

There was a play which right wing people found offensive so they tried to shut it down. So much for free speech.

The play was fine but this did highlight double standards.

What did you think about CNN saying it was fine but then got upset and started threatening to dox people for the meme which they claimed 'incited violence'? Would you agree that if one is bad both are? (Neither are but the people should at least be consistent)

You are also about 6 weeks late
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Peace lies in the centre ground. There’s no point bashing people from the other extremes, why not voice your views and see where you can meet in the middle.

For example, BLM. The alt-right could come to an agreement that there is unfair treatment of black people in America by the police and it needs to addressed since the police should never take an innocent life. Maybe the SJW could agree to tone down their activism as it does more harm than good to the community and comes off as patronising.

It’s all about compromise, or no one ever wins. You fight a losing battle, you waste your time.
Original post by joecphillips
The play was fine but this did highlight double standards.

What did you think about CNN saying it was fine but then got upset and started threatening to dox people for the meme which they claimed 'incited violence'? Would you agree that if one is bad both are? (Neither are but the people should at least be consistent)

You are also about 6 weeks late

I criticise both the left and right when they try and clamp down on free speech.

I find it very hypocritical that the new right, who hold themselves to be the bastions of free speech and have slated the left for 'offence culture' are doing exactly the same.

The PJW/MILO/Ben Shapiro fan boys are becoming the very thing they claimed to be against. Political correctness loving social justice warriors who take offence at everything.
Original post by zayn008
Peace lies in the centre ground. There’s no point bashing people from the other extremes, why not voice your views and see where you can meet in the middle.

For example, BLM. The alt-right could come to an agreement that there is unfair treatment of black people in America by the police and it needs to addressed since the police should never take an innocent life. Maybe the SJW could agree to tone down their activism as it does more harm than good to the community and comes off as patronising.

It’s all about compromise, or no one ever wins. You fight a losing battle, you waste your time.

Original post by zayn008

That's impossible when their entire ideology of ethno-nationalism hinges on their narrative of blacks being violent and thick by nature. That's why they deliberately ignore facts like blacks are overwhelmingly living in poverty and that those in poverty tend to be less educated. And don't get me wrong, I'm someone who hates the BLM movement, but the alt-right thrives on exploiting race tensions.
Is this really what we are classing as "news" these days?
Original post by joecphillips
What did you think about CNN saying it was fine but then got upset and started threatening to dox people for the meme which they claimed 'incited violence'?

For a start, assuming you're talking about the incident I think you are, CNN didn't "threaten to dox" the guy in question, for a couple of reasons:

i) Naming someone (all CNN were considering doing) in a news article isn't really "doxxing", it's standard journalistic practice. Doxxing usually goes far beyond that, including the release of things like personal addresses, private phone numbers, etc, and usually has no journalistic purpose.

ii) CNN didn't "threaten" him. He took it all down and apologised before he even spoke to CNN. What CNN did was decide that, if he was retracting everything he'd said on Reddit, that rendered his identity no longer newsworthy - something that would therefore change if he went back on that retraction.

CNN's screwup is simply that they worded their explanation badly, and so allowed some righties to distract from the original story by making a big fuss of it.

The PJW/MILO/Ben Shapiro fan boys are becoming the very thing they claimed to be against. Political correctness loving social justice warriors who take offence at everything.

It's not a case of them "becoming" anything. The right has always been like this. All the charge of "political correctness" ever is is a complaint that a different term for a phenomenon than the one the charger prefers is being used.

Apart from those cases where there is indeed some sort of codified legal or factual definition, in which case the "politically incorrect" is just plain old incorrect.
Original post by anarchism101
It's not a case of them "becoming" anything. The right has always been like this. All the charge of "political correctness" ever is is a complaint that a different term for a phenomenon than the one the charger prefers is being used.

Apart from those cases where there is indeed some sort of codified legal or factual definition, in which case the "politically incorrect" is just plain old incorrect.

If you ever want to witness right wing pc culture, just look at the reaction to those who choose not to wear a poppy.

They are frequently called traitors and face calls for their sacking, if they are a public figure.
this is why everyone should be a Blairite/Clintonite centrist :smile:))
How hard is it for politics to realise you shouldn't be a c**t and people won't be c**ts to you
The horseshoe theory comes to mind :holmes:

Inb4 right wingers and sjws come to complain bitterly about this comparison
If you ever want to witness right wing pc culture, just look at the reaction to those who choose not to wear a poppy.

They are frequently called traitors and face calls for their sacking, if they are a public figure.

See also the right-wing hysteria about various things done by Corbyn/Momentum/etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending