The Student Room Group

These gcse results good enough for oxford

I want to study economics at oxford hopefully and if i achieve what i need to at a level would my gcse's reduce my chances
1A* 8A 3B (provisionally)
Yes I'm afraid you wouldn't stand any chance with these grades.
Oxford only offers economics & management or PPE (philosophy, politics and econ), both of which are very competitive, and Oxford does put stock in GCSEs so I'm afraid your grades may well limit your chances. Have you thought of applying to Cambridge's straight economics course? They tend to care less about GCSEs. Also, if you know your school's average GCSE results, they are factored in as well - so you'll have a better chance if your grades are significantly above your school average.
Reply 3
Original post by WhiteScythe
Yes I'm afraid you wouldn't stand any chance with these grades.

Too many A's? not enough A*s
Original post by AsianG99

Nah too many B's. Depends what subjects they are in though?
Reply 5
Original post by Sonechka
Oxford only offers economics & management or PPE (philosophy, politics and econ), both of which are very competitive, and Oxford does put stock in GCSEs so I'm afraid your grades may well limit your chances. Have you thought of applying to Cambridge's straight economics course? They tend to care less about GCSEs. Also, if you know your school's average GCSE results, they are factored in as well - so you'll have a better chance if your grades are significantly above your school average.

My school is average but my sixth form is below average
Reply 6
Original post by cc85734
Nah too many B's. Depends what subjects they are in though?

English Language (i think this may be a problem)
German
RE (Very close to an A)
English Language (i think this may be a problem)
German
RE (Very close to an A)

TBH they probably won't hold you back IF you do well at A-Level
Reply 8
Original post by cc85734
TBH they probably won't hold you back IF you do well at A-Level

If i go to a summer school and build on my current personal statement surely i'd have a chance alongside 2A* A
(edited 6 years ago)
Would 7A*s, 1A and 1B be enough for law at Oxford?
Reply 10
Original post by cricinfo
Would 7A*s, 1A and 1B be enough for law at Oxford?

obviously
Reply 11
If i went to oxbridge i'd only be earning a few grand more than a typical Russell group uni for economics so doesn't matter

Most successful Oxford applicants have a high proportion of As and A*s. I think the average applicant has 6A*s, the average offer holder has 8. GCSEs are weighted more heavily than A Levels in some subjects. Only like 3% of offer holders for econ would have your GCSEs. Oxford look at GCSEs contextually, but that usually makes a smaller difference than people seem to assume it does.

Consider Cambridge and try and get A*A*A at A Level. Otherwise AAA+ should be enough to get you to a Russel group and into finance Other Unis care less about GCSEs too. If you got an average of 95% in your A Levels, Cambridge wouldn't care about your GCSEs at all. Don't forget about LSE, UCL, Durham and Bath. To be honest econ is such a safe choice employment wise any top 25 uni will get you a good job and in the right track

Also remember you dint needn't a econ degree for finance. Chancellor of the exchequer George Osborne has a history degree. A degree in maths, geography, neuropsychology, sciences etc. from a top 5 uni still lets you go to finance. Cambridge's land economy course has grads with the highest salaries in the uni, lots of management consultants and bankers. Have a look through all these courses and see what A Level subjects are expected/ wanted. Think about what you'd do best in, and take those to A Level and try your very best !! Top A Levels will really make up for those GCSEs ( which are still good by the way, but weak for top 5 Unis)

If you don't get predictions of A*A*A + then you apply after A2 in a gap year after achieving the grades.

Good luck, keep working hard, you can go into A Level and get amazing A Levels. With those, most Unis won't care at all about your GCSEs :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
obviously

Thanks man - my dream is to go to Oxbridge and study law. I just hope I can follow these results up at A-level.
If i go to a summer school and build on my current personal statement surely i'd have a chance alongside 2A* A

Aside from your academic ability, you will be judged on the passion for your subject and the evidence you provide in your Personal Statement for having grasped every opportunity you can to develop in your field. Those grades do seem a bit low, but maybe a mixture of extenuating circumstances, great AS Levels and a great super/extra-curricular set of activities related to your subject would bolster your chances.
they dont really care about gcses as long as you've got good post-16 education - besides worry about your post 16 before thinking two years ahead lmao
Reply 16
Original post by User3939
Most successful Oxford applicants have a high proportion of As and A*s. I think the average applicant has 6A*s, the average offer holder has 8. GCSEs are weighted more heavily than A Levels in some subjects. Only like 3% of offer holders for econ would have your GCSEs. Oxford look at GCSEs contextually, but that usually makes a smaller difference than people seem to assume it does.

Consider Cambridge and try and get A*A*A at A Level. Otherwise AAA+ should be enough to get you to a Russel group and into finance Other Unis care less about GCSEs too. If you got an average of 95% in your A Levels, Cambridge wouldn't care about your GCSEs at all. Don't forget about LSE, UCL, Durham and Bath. To be honest econ is such a safe choice employment wise any top 25 uni will get you a good job and in the right track

Also remember you dint needn't a econ degree for finance. Chancellor of the exchequer George Osborne has a history degree. A degree in maths, geography, neuropsychology, sciences etc. from a top 5 uni still lets you go to finance. Cambridge's land economy course has grads with the highest salaries in the uni, lots of management consultants and bankers. Have a look through all these courses and see what A Level subjects are expected/ wanted. Think about what you'd do best in, and take those to A Level and try your very best !! Top A Levels will really make up for those GCSEs ( which are still good by the way, but weak for top 5 Unis)

If you don't get predictions of A*A*A + then you apply after A2 in a gap year after achieving the grades.

Good luck, keep working hard, you can go into A Level and get amazing A Levels. With those, most Unis won't care at all about your GCSEs :smile:

Thank You so much
Some of my results are really close to the next grade so i'm getting some remarks hopefully it goes my way
(edited 6 years ago)
Man, there have been a lot of threads like this...
Would 3 x 9s, 7 x A* and 1 x A be enough for my son to study at Bolton? He really let himself down there on the RE papers.
Original post by mrbouffant
Would 3 x 9s, 7 x A* and 1 x A be enough for my son to study at Bolton? He really let himself down there on the RE papers.

Well considering only about 2000 people got 3 9's - he's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending