The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:woo: One Week To Go :woo:
Original post by wonderuss
Thank you!:smile:

I wouldn't worry about your age so much. I'm 24. Not sure a huge gap there. If you want to chat you can private message me. I'm on the Humanities pathway too. :smile:
Name: Viki
Pathway: Humanities and Arts
Goal: creative writing and English literature degree

Feeling really nervous - starting in two weeks!
Original post by Miranda09
I'm starting the access to nursing and healthcare in September. Four years ago applied to do the course and found out I would have to retake my GCSEs in English and Maths to do it. I felt it would be a lot to do but as I want a career in midwifery or nursing I knew I had to do it. In the last four years I have done English (c), Maths (c), Science (b), ITQ level 1&2 and health and social care level 1. It's been a long haul but I'm finally starting the access course and glad that my perseverance has paid off. I'm 40 in November, a single mum to five children and now a nanny. It's never too late to make a change when you have a goal in mind 😁.

Good for you lady! I'm doing the Access and two GCSES alongside it! A lot of hard work ahead, but I really want to go to university next year. I'm going to make it happen. :smile:
Hi! I'm 31, in July I handed in my notice at my current job (office / supervisor based) and applied to do an access course at my local college! Nursing is something I've wanted to do for years, but 'life' kept getting in the way. I'm also starting a new job next week as a care assistant to get some experience in the care industry! So i'ts all brand new for me.

Name: Emma
Access Pathway: Health
Hoping to study: Childrens Nursing
I'm starting the access to nursing and healthcare in September. Four years ago applied to do the course and found out I would have to retake my GCSEs in English and Maths to do it. I felt it would be a lot to do but as I want a career in midwifery or nursing I knew I had to do it. In the last four years I have done English (c), Maths (c), Science (b), ITQ level 1&2 and health and social care level 1. It's been a long haul but I'm finally starting the access course and glad that my perseverance has paid off. I'm 40 in November, a single mum to five children and now a nanny. It's never too late to make a change when you have a goal in mind 😁.

That's amazing! You've done so well. I am also hoping to get into nursing (childrens). I have a C in maths but they've advised I do extra maths alongside to try and get a B.

I have an almost 2yo son and an 8yo step daughter, just starting out as a care assistant too, I don't have any experience in the healthcare industry. I'm excited yet terrified at the same time, for my life to completely change!

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement and like most of us, I bet you're ready to get stuck in.
Original post by Phoenix85
Name: Viki
Pathway: Humanities and Arts
Goal: creative writing and English literature degree

Feeling really nervous - starting in two weeks!

Hi Viki,

I think we're all a little nervous. I'm sure some excitement is mixed in there too though.

Good luck on your access! I'm also doing Humanities. :smile:
I've *finally* had 100% confirmation on the course aha! Basically there was a big mix-up from the tutor and the learning advisor I've been in contact with, but I'm very excited to announce that I start on the 8th! Can't wait! :h:

Also, don't suppose anyone else is going to the open day at Nottingham on the 16th?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EveeyBean
I've *finally* had 100% confirmation on the course aha! Basically there was a big mix-up from the tutor and the learning advisor I've been in contact with, but I'm very excited to announce that I start on the 8th! Can't wait! :h:

Ah congrats! I only had my interview on 18th Aug (although it was supposed to be the 24th) they do seem to like to leave it late!

Although until enrolment day on Thursday this week I don't even know the start date as they've given no info except the proposed schedule which isn't even definite :s-smilie:
Original post by emmanoodle
Ah congrats! I only had my interview on 18th Aug (although it was supposed to be the 24th) they do seem to like to leave it late!

Although until enrolment day on Thursday this week I don't even know the start date as they've given no info except the proposed schedule which isn't even definite :s-smilie:

Yeah, I feel your pain! They do seem to be very last minute at some places, which I kind of get as the lecturer and the admissions tutor at my college had both gone on holiday over the summer which hindered hearing back from them. I enrolled in July (I think?) but didn't hear much until last week after chasing them up!

I've got a schedule and what subjects I'll be studying at least, so hopefully you'll hear once you get there. When is your start date? Or is it the same day as enrollment?
Yeah, I feel your pain! They do seem to be very last minute at some places, which I kind of get as the lecturer and the admissions tutor at my college had both gone on holiday over the summer which hindered hearing back from them. I enrolled in July (I think?) but didn't hear much until last week after chasing them up!

I've got a schedule and what subjects I'll be studying at least, so hopefully you'll hear once you get there. When is your start date? Or is it the same day as enrollment?

I don't even have a start day yet, I find out on enrolment day (I hope :colondollar:)

I just can't wait to get going! I'm just finishing up my last few days at my current job.
Original post by emmanoodle
I don't even have a start day yet, I find out on enrolment day (I hope :colondollar:)

I just can't wait to get going! I'm just finishing up my last few days at my current job.

I left my job yesterday as it was fixed-term anyway! Where you going to be working? I'm thinking of doing some bank care work as I have a H&SC NVQ already but we'll see.
I left my job yesterday as it was fixed-term anyway! Where you going to be working? I'm thinking of doing some bank care work as I have a H&SC NVQ already but we'll see.

I'm starting as a care assistant in a care home that's literally opposite my house. I have zero experience in care - I wanted to do HCA at local hospital but they don't take anyone without NVQ & at least 6 months experience. I'm happy with this though, especially as it is really convenient! They're happy to work around my college schedule too as they take a lot of students in who are looking for experience.
Name: Melissa
Access pathway: Education (Had to choose education rather than humanities so I could study four modules: higher maths, sociology, literary studies, ICT)
Hoping to study: Liberal Arts

I start on the 4th of September, I'm so nervous!!
Original post by meli-b
Name: Melissa
Access pathway: Education (Had to choose education rather than humanities so I could study four modules: higher maths, sociology, literary studies, ICT)
Hoping to study: Liberal Arts

I start on the 4th of September, I'm so nervous!!

Not long to go now, good luck. I started today, turned out not to be as daunting as I thought.

Also, don't suppose anyone else is going to the open day at Nottingham on the 16th?

I was planning on going on the 16th, but unfortunately I'm working through the weekend now. Hoping they have another this year. Currently booked myself in for the York and Sheffield open days
Reply 157
Is anyone doing an Access course online? I'm hoping to start one so that I can fit it around full time work but I'm not sure which company is the best to go through as I've heard mixed reviews about all of them
Original post by Cafro
Is anyone doing an Access course online? I'm hoping to start one so that I can fit it around full time work but I'm not sure which company is the best to go through as I've heard mixed reviews about all of them

I have been considering doing an Access course online so I can fit it around work too! I'm a bit worried about getting the support I need to do well though.
Original post by AmeliaLost
:woo: One Week To Go :woo:

I start Wednesday! :O already got my bag packed! Just need to sort out my desk at home. 1 more shift at work until I go onto revised hours!

Latest

Trending

Trending