The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2018 University of Edinburgh applicants and hopefuls

Hi! As far as I can see a thread like this only exists for Medicine so far, but I wanted to see if there were any other not-yet-applicants lurking around this forum. :smile:

What caught your interest about the university?
What course do you want to apply for?
What grades are you working towards?
What other universities are you looking at?
Plus anything else we feel like chatting about :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Glasgow>Edinburgh
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Cubone-r
Glasgow>Edinburgh

Glasgow does have a metro system... so I guess it wins in that respect! :biggrin:
Original post by Blue_Cow
Glasgow does have a metro system... so I guess it wins in that respect! :biggrin:

Not that I'm bias or anything... :wink:

But a lot of people forget that Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English speaking world.
Original post by Cubone-r
Not that I'm bias or anything... :wink:

But a lot of people forget that Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English speaking world.

Hehe....

PRSOM
Hi, I'm Erin :biggrin:

Well, it's a good uni of course, and also the city seems lovely to me.

Neuroscience

I'm a EU student so an 8.0 on the Dutch vwo! (However, this is only Edinburgh's minimal entry requirement so I'm gonna have to get lucky if I want to receive an offer :colondollar:)

Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee.

Already started my application! :biggrin:
Reply 6
what caught your interest in the university? one of the very few universities that does my course and it's pretty and I loved the look of the course online and the university is very prestigious ect.
what course do you want to apply for? chemical physics
what grades are you working towards? A*AA hopefully but A*AB maybe more likely ( love chemistry but I tend to have difficulty working out what exam questions are actually asking of me)
what other universities are you looking at? Bristol Sheffield UEA Glasgow (and reading and Loughborough for maths as a insurance choice as i'm slightly better at maths than I am at chemistry ( I struggle to get an A in chemistry and physics somewhat but and A* and an A in maths and further maths just seems likely)
Original post by imogy
what caught your interest in the university? one of the very few universities that does my course and it's pretty and I loved the look of the course online and the university is very prestigious ect.
what course do you want to apply for? chemical physics
what grades are you working towards? A*AA hopefully but A*AB maybe more likely ( love chemistry but I tend to have difficulty working out what exam questions are actually asking of me)
what other universities are you looking at? Bristol Sheffield UEA Glasgow (and reading and Loughborough for maths as a insurance choice as i'm slightly better at maths than I am at chemistry ( I struggle to get an A in chemistry and physics somewhat but and A* and an A in maths and further maths just seems likely)

I'm also thinking about applying to UEA besides Edinburgh. The requirements seem a bit more chilled and Norwich seems nice also. :smile:
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Hi, I'm Dreamliner!
What caught your interest about the university? it's an amazing uni, and good location
What course do you want to apply for? Government, Policy and Society
What grades are you working towards? IB 36 ( this will need a ton of work!)
What other universities are you looking at? SOAS,KCL,Bristol, Exeter

I'm applying for the Sociology and Politics course! Of course, the courses are a bit different but it's lovely to find someone with similar interests :smile:
Original post by hysterria
Hi, I'm Erin :biggrin:

Well, it's a good uni of course, and also the city seems lovely to me.

Neuroscience

I'm a EU student so an 8.0 on the Dutch vwo! (However, this is only Edinburgh's minimal entry requirement so I'm gonna have to get lucky if I want to receive an offer :colondollar:)

Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee.

Already started my application! :biggrin:

Hey, I'm also an EU student (from Germany though)! I've heard they're quite strict with EU and Scottish applications because of quotas they need to fill... I'm in a similar position to you so GOOD LUCK :smile:
Have you also been struggling slightly with UCAS as someone not doing A-Levels?
Original post by lilyisstressed
Hey, I'm also an EU student (from Germany though)! I've heard they're quite strict with EU and Scottish applications because of quotas they need to fill... I'm in a similar position to you so GOOD LUCK :smile:
Have you also been struggling slightly with UCAS as someone not doing A-Levels?

Yupp, I think they're strict indeed, because the entry requirements are literally INSANE. The standard entry requirement is an 8.5, which is only achieved by like 1% of students rip.

I've definitely been struggling with UCAS! I think it gives us a huge disadvantage, as UK people probably get a lot of help with the application process and like how to write a statement etc, but we just have to figure it out on our own and honestly I'm not sure which grades I should enter and which I shouldn't... My school doesn't know either :s-smilie:. Btw, who are you asking to write your reference? And are they going to write it in English or are you having it translated?
Yupp, I think they're strict indeed, because the entry requirements are literally INSANE. The standard entry requirement is an 8.5, which is only achieved by like 1% of students rip.

I've definitely been struggling with UCAS! I think it gives us a huge disadvantage, as UK people probably get a lot of help with the application process and like how to write a statement etc, but we just have to figure it out on our own and honestly I'm not sure which grades I should enter and which I shouldn't... My school doesn't know either :s-smilie:. Btw, who are you asking to write your reference? And are they going to write it in English or are you having it translated?

I want to ask my history teacher when school starts again. His English isn't great so I'm probably going to have it translated, but I'm confused because my teacher still needs to submit the letter himself? Ugh, I don't really get it.
Do you guys do predicted grades? We don't, at least not so far away from the final exams and I'm not sure if my teachers will understand/want to give me a proper answer when I ask, lol.
I want to ask my history teacher when school starts again. His English isn't great so I'm probably going to have it translated, but I'm confused because my teacher still needs to submit the letter himself? Ugh, I don't really get it.
Do you guys do predicted grades? We don't, at least not so far away from the final exams and I'm not sure if my teachers will understand/want to give me a proper answer when I ask, lol.

I don't really get it either. I think you have to enter the teacher's contact details on UCAS and then they get like an email about it, and they can enter their reference into UCAS? It's all very complicated...
We don't do predicted grades either, so I think I'm just gonna predict my own grades and ask my referee to add those to the reference :colondollar:. In general we don't do references so whoever I'm gonna ask probably won't really know what to write about. I think in this way we have a huge disadvantage compared to those from the UK, where the teachers have written so many references they know exactly how to write a good one, rip.
Reply 13
Hi I'm Eva :h:
What caught your interest about the university? I fell in love with the city on a trip last year, and the university's reputation is amazing
What course do you want to apply for? Psychology
What grades are you working towards? I already graduated this year, just missed the british deadlines because they're so damn early in the year :s-smilie: got a 1.6 in my Abitur which is about AAA i think?
What other universities are you looking at? Queen Mary and Manchester
Original post by evaaaaa
Hi I'm Eva :h:
What caught your interest about the university? I fell in love with the city on a trip last year, and the university's reputation is amazing
What course do you want to apply for? Psychology
What grades are you working towards? I already graduated this year, just missed the british deadlines because they're so damn early in the year :s-smilie: got a 1.6 in my Abitur which is about AAA i think?
What other universities are you looking at? Queen Mary and Manchester

Hey, ich mache 2018 mein Abi :smile: Which Bundesland are you from? You did amazing and good luck with your application!
I don't really get it either. I think you have to enter the teacher's contact details on UCAS and then they get like an email about it, and they can enter their reference into UCAS? It's all very complicated...
We don't do predicted grades either, so I think I'm just gonna predict my own grades and ask my referee to add those to the reference :colondollar:. In general we don't do references so whoever I'm gonna ask probably won't really know what to write about. I think in this way we have a huge disadvantage compared to those from the UK, where the teachers have written so many references they know exactly how to write a good one, rip.

Well, good luck to you! I'm sure we'll work it out and let's chat if we have any other EU applicant troubles/keep each other updated on when we get offers etc :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Hey, ich mache 2018 mein Abi :smile: Which Bundesland are you from? You did amazing and good luck with your application!

NRW, and you? Thank you and good luck :smile:
Hi:smile: I'm Noemi, also from Germany (Bavaria)

What caught your interest about the university?I've always wanted to study in an English speaking country, and Edinburgh seems to be really nice and somewhat affordable.

What course do you want to apply for?Computer Science

What grades are you working towards? I have already finished a three year long apprenticeship in computer science. Last year I graduated school (Fachabitur) with 1.2. And I hope that the allg. Abitur this year will be around 1.2 too.

What other universities are you looking at?Berlin.. but if I don't get accepted to Edinburgh I will probably do a gap year before applying to other universities

Does anyone of the other EU applicants already have their English language certificate?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by noemi_hanna
Hi:smile: I'm Noemi, also from Germany (Bavaria)

What caught your interest about the university?I've always wanted to study in an English speaking country, and Edinburgh seems to be really nice and somewhat affordable.

What course do you want to apply for?Computer Science

What grades are you working towards? I have already finished a three year long apprenticeship in computer science. Last year I graduated school (Fachabitur) with 1.2. And I hope that the allg. Abitur this year will be around 1.2 too.

What other universities are you looking at?Berlin.. but if I don't get accepted to Edinburgh I will probably do a gap year before applying to other universities

Does anyone of the other EU applicants already have their English language certificate?

Yupp, I have a Cambridge English certificate (CAE). This cost me about 150 euros, so quite expensive sadly. However the exam was very very easy in my opinion :u:.
Original post by evaaaaa
NRW, and you? Thank you and good luck :smile:

BaWü represent lol :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending