The Student Room Group

Starting sixth form (Dropping grades)

Hi, I'm starting sixth form in a couple of days and I am doing maths, further maths, economics, computer science and English lit. Through reading about some other people's experiences it tends to be quite normal to drop from normally getting As/A*s in the year 11 and below to getting a lot of D/E/U's in the first few months of sixth form.
My question is did anybody have a different experience and continue getting good grades throughout sixth form, or does everybody have this drop and have to work their way back up?
Reply 1
Original post by Chellerta
Hi, I'm starting sixth form in a couple of days and I am doing maths, further maths, economics, computer science and English lit. Through reading about some other people's experiences it tends to be quite normal to drop from normally getting As/A*s in the year 11 and below to getting a lot of D/E/U's in the first few months of sixth form.
My question is did anybody have a different experience and continue getting good grades throughout sixth form, or does everybody have this drop and have to work their way back up?

I had the drop and I had a bad drop but turned it round I believe and did okay in the end.
People that have the drop aren't used to the work load / don't keep up. If you work hard from the beginning you should at least be getting Cs which is great at the beginning. Keep in mind that a D at a level is similar to an A* at GCSE
Reply 3
Original post by M4cc4n4
I had the drop and I had a bad drop but turned it round I believe and did okay in the end.

Thanks for the reply
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
People that have the drop aren't used to the work load / don't keep up. If you work hard from the beginning you should at least be getting Cs which is great at the beginning. Keep in mind that a D at a level is similar to an A* at GCSE

Thanks for the advice

for short answer subjects, such as biology in my case, I went from an A at GCSE to D/Cs in the beginning, then slowly worled my way to mostly Bs with an odd A in end of topic exams a couple of months before w broke up at the end of the year.

essay subjects, in my case RE, I took a MASSIVE plummet to Es initially because you have to learn a whole new writing style. at the end of year 12 now going into year 13, I'm happy to say most of my essays in RE are of a grade B.

so dont expect good grades in the beginning, as neither will the teachers initially as they should understand the jump. from my experience EVERYONE bar like two brainiacs will be in the Same position, so take it as an oppurtunity laugh and learn 😃
Reply 6
Original post by alicewonderland2
for short answer subjects, such as biology in my case, I went from an A at GCSE to D/Cs in the beginning, then slowly worled my way to mostly Bs with an odd A in end of topic exams a couple of months before w broke up at the end of the year.

essay subjects, in my case RE, I took a MASSIVE plummet to Es initially because you have to learn a whole new writing style. at the end of year 12 now going into year 13, I'm happy to say most of my essays in RE are of a grade B.

so dont expect good grades in the beginning, as neither will the teachers initially as they should understand the jump. from my experience EVERYONE bar like two brainiacs will be in the Same position, so take it as an oppurtunity laugh and learn 😃

Thnaks, this makes me feel a little less apprehensive
Reply 7
Thnaks, this makes me feel a little less apprehensive

As alice said, you will likely drop to C-D level but some teachers might be strict, for one our Maths teacher insisted 2 results below 60% and you would get kicked out of Maths, it does help motivate you.
Reply 8
Original post by M4cc4n4
As alice said, you will likely drop to C-D level but some teachers might be strict, for one our Maths teacher insisted 2 results below 60% and you would get kicked out of Maths, it does help motivate you.

I'm assuming you didn't get kicked out, so how did you manage to keep up a good standard of work despite the jump in difficulty?
Reply 9
I'm assuming you didn't get kicked out, so how did you manage to keep up a good standard of work despite the jump in difficulty?

Practice and Exam Technique Really but I don't do Further Maths but I reckon you'll do fine, and as you have Further Maths at GCSE which I didn't have.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by M4cc4n4
Practice and Exam Technique Really

Also was that two below 60% in a term, year or just in a row, out of curiosity
Also was that two below 60% in a term, year or just in a row, out of curiosity

In a class Test, which was usually a few Topics at a time.
Not everyone drops - I didn't but that's because I literally just continued with my revision and study as if there had been no summer break. In fact I probably did more than at GCSE so yes if you work hard from the beginning then the lowest grade you will ever get at A Level will be an A.
Reply 13
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Not everyone drops - I didn't but that's because I literally just continued with my revision and study as if there had been no summer break. In fact I probably did more than at GCSE so yes if you work hard from the beginning then the lowest grade you will ever get at A Level will be an A.

Thanks, it's nice to know this is possible

Quick Reply

Latest