The Student Room Group

can anyone offer me advice in terms of resit A levels at uni or is it a waste of time

can anyone offer me advice on what to do ive got into a top uni on a unconditional and im starting uni soon

i got worse A level grades than expected so should i resit the A level subject i did worse in while at uni or focus on my uni work as i am aware going into law A levels are still looked at heavily

Scroll to see replies

If you're in uni already, just ace the degree. A top uni grade will do you far more favours than top A level grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you're in uni already, just ace the degree. A top uni grade will do you far more favours than top A level grades.

but i have only got in my opinion average A levels so i was happy in a way on results day as i got in regardless of my results but wasnt sure if i shouldve resit a A level at uni as a lot of users on TSR say firms look at A levels heavily and yeah i am already in i was suprised i was given a unconditional offer for this uni
Original post by marklow
but i have only got in my opinion average A levels so i was happy in a way on results day as i got in regardless of my results but wasnt sure if i shouldve resit a A level at uni as a lot of users on TSR say firms look at A levels heavily and yeah i am already in i was suprised i was given a unconditional offer for this uni

They will also look at your degree. Do your degree. **** the A levels for now
Reply 4
They will also look at your degree. Do your degree. **** the A levels for now

awww alright ill do that i just was unsure what to do
Original post by marklow
awww alright ill do that i just was unsure what to do

If you find after your degree that it's hindering your progress, sort it then. Doing it during uni just risks compromising your uni performance for something that might not even matter.
I am in the same boat as you. I got poor A levels, went into Law got first class. However, my poor a levels are hindering me as many of the magic circle firms require at least ABB and this is just the minimum. So I would say having good a levels is the best thing if you are in your first year the workload isn't as bad as the next two years. This is the perfect time to do it
Reply 7
If you find after your degree that it's hindering your progress, sort it then. Doing it during uni just risks compromising your uni performance for something that might not even matter.

yeah i can always take them after my degree couldnt i ?
Reply 8
Original post by lalashahid531
I am in the same boat as you. I got poor A levels, went into Law got first class. However, my poor a levels are hindering me as many of the magic circle firms require at least ABB and this is just the minimum. So I would say having good a levels is the best thing if you are in your first year the workload isn't as bad as the next two years. This is the perfect time to do it

ohhh really i thought many firms do ask for high A levels like ABB thats why i was thinking about resitting them however couldnt you just resit your A levels now as you have done your degree ? i was initally in 2 minds whether or not to resit as i go to a top law uni so i wouldve though my uni wouldve had really good connections to those top firms but i think my A levels would let me down as they are average
I did say many magic circle firms want ABB as just minimum....I would say as you are in your first year. First-year results don't count towards your classification of the degree, you would be better off making sure your a levels are good then ..in second year and third year get Firsts...and you are sorted from both ends (degree and a levels)
Reply 10
I did say many magic circle firms want ABB as just minimum....I would say as you are in your first year. First-year results don't count towards your classification of the degree, you would be better off making sure your a levels are good then ..in second year and third year get Firsts...and you are sorted from both ends (degree and a levels)

yeah i know what you mean i may just do that tbf makes sense
btw mate ...I am also retaking my A levels ...although ..only A2 modules that i did in 2014. So....Yeah i waited for three years ..you got a chance to re do them ...and if you end up doing good in alevels..quit your uni..go to a better one
Just how bad are your A'level grades?
Reply 13
btw mate ...I am also retaking my A levels ...although ..only A2 modules that i did in 2014. So....Yeah i waited for three years ..you got a chance to re do them ...and if you end up doing good in alevels..quit your uni..go to a better one

but wouldnt that mean doing ucas application all over again though to apply to another uni
Reply 14
Original post by Crumpet1
Just how bad are your A'level grades?

when i say bad grades i mean BBC they arent bad grades as such they are in between average and good i would say ?
Reply 15
Original post by J-SP
If organisations are concerned about your A-level grades, they will typically only consider the first sitting, and/or three full A-levels sat at the same time.

ohhh really but couldnt i just put the resit grades on though and not put the first sittings grades on for instance
Reply 16
Original post by J-SP
Many organisations ask you explicitly for first sittings.

The dates of your qualifications would also give away that they were resits.

oh i see so would you suggest resitting 1 A level for example would he a waste of time considering i will be going into law
Reply 17
Original post by J-SP
Only do it for your benefit, not because you think it will benefit you.

You also have to make sure it doesn't negatively impact others things ok your CV, like your current studies/work experience etc

i was under the impression a resit would open a lot more doors ifor me providing i get a first or a 2:1 in law and yeah i appreciate that if i did it may heavily impact on other things
Original post by marklow
can anyone offer me advice on what to do ive got into a top uni on a unconditional and im starting uni soon

i got worse A level grades than expected so should i resit the A level subject i did worse in while at uni or focus on my uni work as i am aware going into law A levels are still looked at heavily

Your A Levels are your ticket to the show. You're in.

How you now perform from now is what counts.

Firms will give very little credence to your results - where did you get this idea from? It's rubbish.

The degree is also only your ticket in, as well. Almost everyone's got one, so what makes you any different?

What they'll be asking is:
Does this person have what it takes to work with us?
Are they a team player?
Will their 'face fit' into the current team?
What do they do in their spare time - what makes them 'human'
Do they meet deadlines?
What's their 'client bedside manner'' like?

Qualifications mean very little, their just the entrance ticket. How you perform, and a well-rounded personality/person, is what firms are looking for.

Question:
What will make you irresistible to a potential employer? What makes you exceptional?
Original post by J-SP
I don't think it will though. It might open some doors, but it won't necessarily open the majority of them for the reasons I have mentioned.

I agree that the majority of doors will remain closed to the OP whether he retakes or not. But just thinking about this a little more closely, if he can convert that C into an A, and if doing so would open any doors at all, then surely he would be in a better situation than he is currently in?

I'm beginning to tend towards thinking that retaking the C grade might be something for him to consider. Do you completely disagree @J-SP?

Either way though, OP, I do think that realistically your A'level grades have already given you an uphill struggle in terms of a future career in the law, whether you retake or not. I'm sure you've realised that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending