The Student Room Group

Should I resit twice?

My 1st A Level results went CDE (*Covid).
My 2nd A Level results went DDD this summer.

Please consider the context before judging the outcome of results. I believe I am a capable student when placed in a vacuum of topic tests and do well in them, getting As and Bs.

However my problem for failing is the congested schedule of courseworks, personal statement, homework and mocks throughout the year. These take up valuable time which I could be focusing on the final, summer exams.

If I resit again, I plan to just self study all 3 subjects at home without the school environment which is better for me. I believe in myself. I believe if i can focus the next 6 months on purely revision I will get good grades.
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy

Please consider the context before judging the outcome of results. I believe I am a capable student when placed in a vacuum of topic tests and do well in them, getting As and Bs.

However my problem for failing is the congested schedule of courseworks, personal statement, homework and mocks throughout the year. These take up valuable time which I could be focusing on the final, summer exams.

If I resit again, I plan to just self study all 3 subjects at home without the school environment which is better for me. I believe in myself. I believe if i can focus the next 6 months on purely revision I will get good grades.

Coursework makes up part of your grade and homework/mocks are designed to target your weaknesses. The personal statement is necessary to form your university application. Therefore, I disagree with your statement that it takes up valuable time.

It seems you are not balancing your time properly.

So what's the question? If you think you can do well without any of the structure involved in school-style learning, go for it. I'd have to say that I'm sceptical that when you have already had three years for a two year course, lack of time is the problem, but I will be delighted for you to prove me wrong.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Coursework makes up part of your grade and homework/mocks are designed to target your weaknesses. The personal statement is necessary to form your university application. Therefore, I disagree with your statement that it takes up valuable time.

It seems you are not balancing your time properly.

Regards to mocks, they do waste valuable time. They use up a whole month. I did 3 mocks that's about 3 months gone solely towards practice papers. Learning replaced with mediocre quick revision. Whole lessons get replaced with "feedback time" which is green pen paperwork providing nothing other than self evident info students already knew.

The crammed revision in preparation for mocks isn't sustainable for learning anyway. You forget most of the content due to short term memory.
Original post by skylark2
So what's the question? If you think you can do well without any of the structure involved in school-style learning, go for it. I'd have to say that I'm sceptical that when you have already had three years for a two year course, lack of time is the problem, but I will be delighted for you to prove me wrong.

My hesitation is how unis will take to me resitting for a second time.
My hesitation is how unis will take to me resitting for a second time.

You already look like a weak candidate, to be blunt. I don't think they're going to take any worse to it being a second resit than they are to a history of average D grades.

In any case, what are you going to do about it? You can't wave a magic wand and redo your exams without it being a second resit.
Philosophy or Economics
Original post by skylark2
You already look like a weak candidate, to be blunt. I don't think they're going to take any worse to it being a second resit than they are to a history of average D grades.

In any case, what are you going to do about it? You can't wave a magic wand and redo your exams without it being a second resit.

I can do a foundation year but I don't know how that will fare financially.
Could you give more thoughts on why no to a levels please?
I appreciate you massively for taking your time to write this thoughtful answer. Thank you.
Do you have any other advice on coping with self studying A-Levels at home?
How did you manage to get references for your UCAS application may I ask?
Timetables don't have an effect on me either! In terms of rest, did you take the weekends off? Was rest important?

If were to take rests I would follow the term times from the school curriculum.
Its going to be embarrassing for me to ask from my old school. Since I already did a resit at that school.
many thanks for advice :smile:

should i need to reach out to you, can i PM you?
Regards to mocks, they do waste valuable time. They use up a whole month. I did 3 mocks that's about 3 months gone solely towards practice papers. Learning replaced with mediocre quick revision. Whole lessons get replaced with "feedback time" which is green pen paperwork providing nothing other than self evident info students already knew.

The crammed revision in preparation for mocks isn't sustainable for learning anyway. You forget most of the content due to short term memory.

I’m not really sure what advice you are looking for. You seem to have made up your mind with what you want to do.

As others have mentioned, a foundation year is something you should look into.

Good luck. 🙂
Did you do past papers how did you do worse when you took a second exam so you’re gonna sit a levels a 3rd time. I’m planning on resitting a second time but because I’ve repeated an ASn😭
Did you do past papers how did you do worse when you took a second exam so you’re gonna sit a levels a 3rd time. I’m planning on resitting a second time but because I’ve repeated an AS😭

Quick Reply

Latest