The Student Room Group

Happy with your first (given) name or not?

Parents have complete authority over naming their children and registering those names legally.

'Given' names stay with a child unless the child becomes of an age to legally change it and does...

So, have you changed your name or know someone who has?

This could turn out to be a very interesting thread or it might just bomb...

(I changed mine earlier this year :wink:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesH2017
Parents have complete authority over naming their children and registering those names legally.

'Given' names stay with a child unless the child becomes of an age to legally change it and does...

how did u change it
My name is basic.

And no. It's not Shaniqua or Fa'Deeyshia for anyone wondering. 😂😂😂😂😠
Reply 3
Original post by study beats
how did u change it

In the UK anyone can change their name by deed poll, costs as little as about four £5 notes for cheapest option.
In the UK anyone can change their name by deed poll, costs as little as about four £5 notes for cheapest option.

what was it and what u change it to?
Reply 5
what was it and what u change it to?

Hmm, my given name is (still) a bit embarrassing but my new name is James.
Hmm, my given name is (still) a bit embarrassing but my new name is James.

mind telling me what your given name is? you dont have to if you dont want to...

also i just searched and did some research on this deed poll stuff.......wow it seems really easy to change your name, i hate my name, should i do it?
Reply 7
mind telling me what your given name is? you dont have to if you dont want to...

also i just searched and did some research on this deed poll stuff.......wow it seems really easy to change your name, i hate my name, should i do it?

Asking me or anyone else on TSR or elsewhere if you should change your name is not the best way forward...

If you want to change your name, for whatever reason, it is and should be completely up to you and your decision alone.
Reply 8
Original post by Salt Queen
My name is basic.

And no. It's not Shaniqua or Fa'Deeyshia for anyone wondering. 😂😂😂😂😠

'basic' is an unusual name.
Asking me or anyone else on TSR or elsewhere if you should change your name is not the best way forward...

If you want to change your name, for whatever reason, it is and should be completely up to you and your decision alone.

after you changed your name

what did you tell your family, cousins and friends?
My name is Kathleen, but I was born Kyle Kathleen.
'basic' is an unusual name.

😒 lol
Reply 12
I changed mine when I was eight
I don't know why
Yes, happy. I know a number of people who prefer to use their second or middle name though, and in public life, Gideon Osbourne and Alexander Johnson do not use their first name, for example.
I like my first name, it's not rare but not completely common either. I have a friend who changed her first name a couple of years ago.
I like my name and have grown used to it, so I will probably never change it.

I know a girl who changed her last name, not given name.
I don't like my name and I never have, but I'd never change it :nah:

I know someone who got her surname changed, but I don't know anyone who's changed their first name :smile:
My names meh i don't mind it since its different but the way some people pronounce it irks me. Its Maha so Maahaa but i get called Mayha/Mayuh alot so i just go with it tbh....would prefer the name Malika it sounds cute...
after you changed your name

what did you tell your family, cousins and friends?

I was quite pragmatic - why do you ask?

No I am not happy with my first given name. I'm not going to state it here for anonymity reasons but I have a name set in mind of what I would like to change it to, which I will when the time is right.

Quick Reply

Latest